Wrestle81

Favorite NCAA title bouts

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Darrion Caldwell vs Brent Metcalf

Myles Martin vs Bo Nickal

Rob Rohn vs Josh Lambrecht has to be my #1

Rob Rohn has to be, if not #1, nearly at the top of any LEHIGH wrestling fan's list.

Mike Frick's win as well as Mike Leiberman's win over Chris Campbell @ Princeton/1975 NCAA is up there (yours truly was there w/ my Dad during the spring break from Blair.)

Darian Cruz win  was also memorable. :-D

D3

1 hour ago, Wrestle81 said:

That semi was great and as a bonus.... directly on the mat in front of me ..Gilman should have taken bottom...Cruz was great that weekend!

And we wondered why BackPack Lizak didn't take top.

Metcalf/Caldwell has been my favorite finals match for a while now. Dake/Taylor ncaa finals was pretty good too and is up there.

Favorite semis match is moisey vs Gilman hands down.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:03 AM, Wrestle81 said:

Mine was the second one I ever saw...126lbs. Pat Milkovich Michigan State vs. John Fritz Penn State @ Princeton in 1975

That's a good one....great duckunder by Fritz off UH and a wrist....Jadwin Gymnasium.....FYI  attendance approximately 6,000 back then.

Edited by fadzaev2

22 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Martin / Nickal was a good one. That night produced a second beauty a few bouts later with Snyder and Gwiz going to OT.

IMar and Nolf that night was very high quality stuff, too.  

When Martin and Nickal locked up and the throw got started with the crowd not knowing who was going to get the 5 (or was it 6, when did the y change the rule?) that was one of the most exciting things I've seen in wrestling. 

I don't know what can be said about Snyder that can capture how awesome that was.  

March 15, 1975 ? Iowa wins the NCAA wrestling championship as Lehigh's Mike Frick is named the tournament's outstanding wrestler. Total attendance for the four-day event is 48,000 over six sessions, including 10,000 for the final session.

Source: Jadwin Turns 40: The Top 40 Moments in Jadwin Gym History   (No.10)

5 minutes ago, patmilkovich said:

March 15, 1975 ? Iowa wins the NCAA wrestling championship as Lehigh's Mike Frick is named the tournament's outstanding wrestler. Total attendance for the four-day event is 48,000 over six sessions, including 10,000 for the final session.

Source: Jadwin Turns 40: The Top 40 Moments in Jadwin Gym History   (No.10)

And that might have been the record attendance.

A few of the best that I can remember. 

I was 15, but it was the first NCAA tournament I had ever been to.  The year was 1987 and the story was Iowa attempting to win an unpreceded, in any sport, 10th title in a row.  Heading into the finals Iowa, which had 4 in the finals, would need to win every match to win the title, whereas Iowa State, who held the lead with 5 five in the finals, could afford to lose all but one.  Good news for Iowa is that that matched up with ISU in 3 of the finals contests.  The first of those was Brand Penrith from Iowa, the defending champ, against Bill Kelly from ISU.  Penrith held the lead in the 3rd period when he was pinned in a Spladle, thus ending Iowa's reign as national champions.  

Iowa State went on to win 4 individual titles, besting Iowa in 2 of the 3 finals match-ups.  

The Martin/Nickal match-up was short but very exciting.  The match determined the team title. 

Lincoln McIlravy over the Abas in 1993 was incredible because of the comeback that occurred. 

Pat Smth vs. Tom Ryan

15 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

I was 15, but it was the first NCAA tournament I had ever been to.  The year was 1987 and the story was Iowa attempting to win an unpreceded, in any sport, 10th title in a row.  Heading into the finals Iowa, which had 4 in the finals, would need to win every match to win the title, whereas Iowa State, who held the lead with 5 five in the finals, could afford to lose all but one.  Good news for Iowa is that that matched up with ISU in 3 of the finals contests.  The first of those was Brand Penrith from Iowa, the defending champ, against Bill Kelly from ISU.  Penrith held the lead in the 3rd period when he was pinned in a Spladle, thus ending Iowa's reign as national champions.  

Iowa State went on to win 4 individual titles, besting Iowa in 2 of the 3 finals match-ups.  

And they X'd the X!

On 7/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, smsu150 said:

A few of the best that I can remember. 

The Martin/Nickal match-up was short but very exciting.  The match determined the team title

There were 2 Martin / Nickal finals. The first was 2016 and went the full 7 minutes with Martin pulling the upset in a slugfest. The short one was 2018.