Wrestle81

Favorite NCAA title bouts

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

They wrestled maybe 5 times, and they were always exciting, with Lewis going maybe 4-0-1 against him.  Burley was a 4 time NCAA finalist too.

Yes that's true but they only wrestled once in the NCAA finals which was in 1980.

4 hours ago, Elevator said:

hurtful - I have seen a fair amount!   I thought it was wrestled tactically at a high level and both wrestlers were excellent!

I went back to watch Lee/Eierman again.  It was a good match for sure.  But I don't see it as notable on any kind of all time or even last decade list.

I then watched as a random comparison IMar-Nolf, which I see as much better.  Nonstop action for 7 minutes.  Lots of interesting ties and battling therein. Takedowns off leg attack, passby, throwby. 

Very sophisticated high level stuff between a 3x champ and 4x finalist.  And that was at best the third best match of that evening.  

And both guys went all out the whole time.  No standing around with feet still and slappy hand fighting.  And no gassing out which I hadn't remembered but saw on a second watch was such an issue with Eierman.  

Credit to Lee for wearing a good wrestler out and for a slick TD in OT.  But not an all time memorable in my opinion. 

Here is IMar-Nolf

7 hours ago, Elevator said:

hurtful - I have seen a fair amount!   I thought it was wrestled tactically at a high level and both wrestlers were excellent!

I wouldn’t be too concerned about it.  The topic is Favorite Title Bouts.  Favorite can cover a lot of things.  Could be someone or team you have rooted for your whole life, an underdog story, a matchup with a lot of parity, a last minute score, a flashy move, etc.   Some of these guys  trying to make it about what the masses have long considers the greatest matches of all time to count.   But that not necessarily the way the topic was framed.  For my take as someone with a long time Lee connection I quite enjoyed how the Lee/Eirman saga played out over the last part of the season.   And I’d personally several none title matches up there in  best match of all time category before some of the finals matches mentioned.  But again that’s not what the topic is asking.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Maybe it's recency bias, but Shane Griffith winning this year has to be up there. There were three prongs to saving Stanford wrestling: institutional re-support, outside financial support, and quality wrestling results. I am absolutely of the opinion that if Griffith did anything less than bring home the ship while rocking the iconic "Keep Stanford Wrestling" hoodie then it would not have happened. So while the wrestling in the match itself was rather instantly forgettable, the implications of the match and the pressure on Griffith's shoulders vault it to the top of any list.

Edited by bnwtwg
sp

Hey Drag It - I had forgotten what a great match that final was between IMar & Nolf.  That was a match where both guys could say they really pushed the action and wrestled good technically.  The final under hook throwby to a TD was beautiful.  Thanks for posting it.

17 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Hey Drag It - I had forgotten what a great match that final was between IMar & Nolf.  That was a match where both guys could say they really pushed the action and wrestled good technically.  The final under hook throwby to a TD was beautiful.  Thanks for posting it.

This made me think of two others that had the same attributes, Stieber-Oliver and IMar-Cenzo.

Those matches are remembered mainly for their stunning endings, but the first 6:59 of the Stieber match and the first 5:24 of the Cenzo match should be put on the same quality shelf discussed above with IMar-Nolf. 

Multi-time champs head to head.  Action from literally the first second to the last.  Lots of interesting ties.  Extraordinarily high level technique because each guy knew that's the only way he could beat the other guy.. Several different types of pass-bys for takedowns.  Sparkling stuff. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:00 PM, gimpeltf said:

Darryl did win one but after graduating at the Midlands.

I may have been there for that match....may have to look it up....I looked it up....he actually won Midlands vs Lewis in 1981 while he was still in college....in the wt. were Mike Land, Keith Mourlam, Jim Gibbons, John Giura and Jeff Kerber.  He won it again in 1984 vs. John Giura (post collegiate).  That wt. also included Kevin Dresser and Peter Yozzo.  Burley was a 6 time Midlands finalist in addition to a 4 time NCAA finalist.  https://www.eiwawrestling.org/HOF/Hall_of_Fame/burley-darryl?view=bio

Edited by fadzaev2

3 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I may have been there for that match....may have to look it up....I looked it up....he actually won Midlands vs Lewis in 1981 while he was still in college....in the wt. were Mike Land, Keith Mourlam, Jim Gibbons, John Giura and Jeff Kerber.  He won it again in 1984 vs. John Giura (post collegiate).  That wt. also included Kevin Dresser and Peter Yozzo.  Burley was a 6 time Midlands finalist in addition to a 4 time NCAA finalist.  https://www.eiwawrestling.org/HOF/Hall_of_Fame/burley-darryl?view=bio

That's right. I was trying to remember the time frame. Tom Hensler (a grad asst at the time) was in the corner that day. I think I was on the floor at mat side taking pictures for Denny Diehl and The National Mat News.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

When did they do away with ties?

Not sure, but here is a quote from Lewis in an article.......

When you were at the University of Iowa, you won two NCAA titles, correct?

Yeah, I went 91 matches in a row at Iowa without a loss. I had a tie in there against Darryl Burley, who I beat four times in college.

He did lose to Burley in the Midlands final in 1981.....maybe he wasn't counting that because it was an "open" tournament.  My guess is the tie was in the East-West All Star match....I may have that in my video library....may have to watch it!

Edited by fadzaev2

6 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Yeah, I went 91 matches in a row at Iowa without a loss. I had a tie in there against Darryl Burley, who I beat four times in college.

He did lose to Burley in the Midlands final in 1981.....maybe he wasn't counting that because it was an "open" tournament.  My guess is the tie was in the East-West All Star match....I may have that in my video library....may have to watch it!

The tie was in the dual at Lehigh. 6-6

Edited by gimpeltf

On 7/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, BadgerMon said:

Lewis performed the rarely-attempted and even more rarely duplicated lace leg throw on Burley in that finals match at NCAAs. Gutsy!

Burley did get a win over Lewboo at a Midlands in 1981, but Lewis was out of eligibility by then. Win by Dec. 8-7, Burley was voted Champion of Champions- the best OW a guy could ask for, winning the best weight class.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, BadgerMon said:

Burley did get a win over Lewboo at a Midlands in 1981, but Lewis was out of eligibility by then. Win by Dec. 8-7, Burley was voted Champion of Champions- the best OW a guy could ask for, winning the best weight class.

I knew somebody had graduated by that time! (Not including me)

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

The tie was in the dual at Lehigh. 6-6

I remember that dual well - Colin Kilrain also beat defending NC Ed Banach in that dual in Stabler arena in 1981.  Both of those matches were great.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, fadzaev2 said:

Lewis stuck Burley in one of the All Star matches. A lot of folks these days don't appreciate Lewis' genius on the mat.

Edited by BadgerMon

Bill Kelly's shocking pin over former champ Brad Penrith was quite a moment for Iowa State, unseating the Hawkeyes after 9 consecutive years of NCAA championships. 
Although I do believe that Jim Heffernan got jobbed on the no stalling calls in his match, I'd also like to mention that wrestling Krieger would have been a frickin' nightmare.

1 hour ago, BadgerMon said:

Lewis stuck Burley in one of the All Star matches. A lot of folks these days don't appreciate Lewis' genius on the mat.

I think that today's refs would have called PD when Lewis was cranking over the near arm with boot(s) in.

16 hours ago, jchapman said:

I think that today's refs would have called PD when Lewis was cranking over the near arm with boot(s) in.

I'm sure you are probably right about that, John. They sure let Dave Schultz get away with much worse back in those days.

Can't recall Lewis forcing any joints to turn me ( in practice, anyway). Always went over fairly smoothly. 

I absolutely disagree on Pucillo/Varner.  Varner was a big favorite who was a physical beast.  Pucillo was — not.  He had to wrestle a perfect match to beat Varner and did.  Pucillo was usually a very aggressive wrestler but Varner’s lack of aggression allowed him to stay in the match and win at the end.