Sign in to follow this  
CA_Wrestler

A wrestler will be a flagbearer at the Olympics

5 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Yui Susaki and Rui Hachimura(NBA player with the Washington Wizards) will be Japan's flagbearers at the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.

What does that even mean. Who is going to be carrying the flag.  Are there two flags. 

4 hours ago, HawkY said:

What does that even mean. Who is going to be carrying the flag.  Are there two flags. 

There is likely some more detail we would need.  Each country nominates an athlete to carry their national flag during the procession of athletes.  Also a group of people (often a mix of previous Olympic star of host country) that carry an unfolded Olympic flag in to be raised at the Stadium.   The host country may have another national flag that comes in to be raised just under the Olympic flag too, but I can’t recall for sure.  So Japan may indeed have a few people carrying some type of flag in during the Opening Ceremonies.  

Edited by MadMardigain

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

..... Each country nominates an athlete to carry their national flag during the procession of athletes...

Thats the flag bearer. Which one is it.  BBall or wrestler. 

6 hours ago, HawkY said:

We'll have to wait and see.  Who cares if there are two flags.

Given how you didn't comprehend the statement, will two flags from one country make you think there are two of those countries competing with the same flag?

2 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

We'll have to wait and see.  Who cares if there are two flags.

Given how you didn't comprehend the statement, will two flags from one country make you think there are two of those countries competing with the same flag?

I care, given that I replied to the thread. Two flags was my best guess since how else would there be two flag bearers. Baton pass halfway, some kind of double hold of one flag. Or it was erroneous information. I've seen multiple flag bearers listed before,  then saw corresponding video evidence that it was not true and there was only one.

If they are differently designed  flags, sure I'd get confused.   I didn't know about this new Olympic dictate that there must be two flag bearers for every country. I wouldn't have made the comment otherwise. 

I will be a bit surprised if there is an opening or closing ceremony of any magnitude - I don't think there will be that many athletes there in the beginning as they are supposed to be arriving just a couple of days prior to their events and vacating right after their events complete.  I expect they will not want to gather a large crowd together just for a ceremony.