Favorite Olympic Event/Sport  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Olympic Event/Sport

• Freestyle Wrestling
    • Greco Wrestling
    • Women's Wrestling
    • 100 meters
    • Something else

I like watching the Olympics.  I really like the hammer throw and Javelin.  I like the running, but not really more than the 5k.  I like swimming, gymnastics both sexes.  I like the wrestling of course and do what I can to watch those.  Being in the Seattle area, we get the CBC and they do a really good job of not being homers in broadcasting so I can get a bit more with that. 

Track bike racing and other bike racing events, and as I mentioned I really like the track events.  I don't follow any of them and every 4 years is enough for me except for wrestling.  I pretty much enjoy most objective sports and shy away from subjective sports (gymnastics being an exception).  I'm not into soccer, baseball, basketball, or rugby as they have their own pro leagues and this is just another thing to do for them.  I'll watch World Cup (soccer, rugby), some baseball, no basketball.  I used to like the boxing but not so much anymore.  Oh and I forgot, I like watching the rowing events too.  Those guys are incredible. 

mspart

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

All-Blacks: 15 a side, 40 minute halves
Olympics: 7 a side, 7 minute halves

I'm under no false illusions of the nature of the IOC and what motivates them. These people were willing to get rid of wrestling.   

I get it. There are some cool highlights and watching this style of rugby appeals to some people.  But here is what I found on the Ruby 7s wiki  "....dismisses the idea that it should be seen mainly as a development tool...".  So something thats debatably a development phase for another professional sport with its own pro leagues and year round events gets put on the same pedestal as the best Gymnasts, track, wrestlers , swimmers in the world whose biggest goal is winning the olympics and only get major exposure during  this time. 

Great. They IOC should also mandate that only tennis, basketball, and soccer players are allowed as flag bearers in the name of fairness.  

16 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Isn't 'All-Blacks' the moniker for New Zealand's rugby team rather than a generic term? 

Correct, it’s the NZ All Blacks (like the Iowa Hawkeyes).

Sevens is year round and so is 15s. Sevens is a blazing pace - seven people on each team, the full field (called a pitch), and two halves that are seven minutes long. It’s like playing 3 on 3 full court basketball - nothing but fast breaks and non-stop action. Tactical, but torrential pace. The best comparison is seriously akin to Iowa style, DT, Metcalf, Zain… just a relentless pace from whistle to whistle.

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Correct, it’s the NZ All Blacks (like the Iowa Hawkeyes).

Sevens is year round and so is 15s. Sevens is a blazing pace - seven people on each team, the full field (called a pitch), and two halves that are seven minutes long.

Then you can add in Aussie Rules to murk up the Rugby water even further. 

Edited by MadMardigain

One other concept that drives what I watch in the Olympics:  I don't want to see sports where an Olympic gold is not the ultimate goal of the athlete.  Im sure any of the tennis Olympians would trade a gold medal for a Winbledon championship.  Golfers seek a Masters tile.  Rugy and Soccer = World Cup.   Basketball = NBA Championship.  You get the idea...  

18 minutes ago, matts1w said:

One other concept that drives what I watch in the Olympics:  I don't want to see sports where an Olympic gold is not the ultimate goal of the athlete.  Im sure any of the tennis Olympians would trade a gold medal for a Winbledon championship.  Golfers seek a Masters tile.  Rugy and Soccer = World Cup.   Basketball = NBA Championship.  You get the idea...  

Rugby and Soccer are particularly egregious offenders.  Soccer uses it as a hybrid youth tournament and Rugby from what I researched  an opportunity to advertise themselves on the olympic platform with a style that is developmental stage for their pro athletes. 

People have been complaining about this forever and the people who run the olympics always laugh it off and ignore them. 

22 hours ago, HawkY said:

Rugby and Soccer are particularly egregious offenders.  Soccer uses it as a hybrid youth tournament and Rugby from what I researched  an opportunity to advertise themselves on the olympic platform with a style that is developmental stage for their pro athletes. 

People have been complaining about this forever and the people who run the olympics always laugh it off and ignore them. 

Not sure your hard bias, but rugby 7s has long been anything but developmental - maybe you are confusing it with 7-on-7 football camps? But the professional “championship” is simply an end of year cumulative points leader from regional grand prix tourneys a la Euro soccer so this is THE tourney. Don’t be surprised when this sport replaces the NFL in 20-30 years, and please try doing more than two seconds of research of a sport you seem to not like that is very akin to ours as a fringe sport with no major financial incentive that needs all the new fans it can get. This is a hill I’m willing to die on so let me know if we are going to muck up the board and we can take it stage-left.

Men's indoor volleyball is clear #1.  I used to play for the University of Michigan's Club team in the 1970's - U of M did not have a varsity men's team.

As many have already posted, the Olympics is an exception to what I typically enjoy watching.  Gymnastics, Swimming and Diving, Track and Field, Beach Volleyball, Boxing, and Water Polo are sports I try to catch all the televised action.  I never watch any of them outside the olympics.

I typically don't like to watch olympic wrestling --- I find it boring.  However, I will try to follow the matches of Myles Amine and Stevan Micic.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Not sure your hard bias, but rugby 7s has long been anything but developmental - maybe you are confusing it with 7-on-7 football camps? But the professional “championship” is simply an end of year cumulative points leader from regional grand prix tourneys a la Euro soccer so this is THE tourney. Don’t be surprised when this sport replaces the NFL in 20-30 years, and please try doing more than two seconds of research of a sport you seem to not like that is very akin to ours as a fringe sport with no major financial incentive that needs all the new fans it can get. This is a hill I’m willing to die on so let me know if we are going to muck up the board and we can take it stage-left.

I'm not a NFL fan but you will not replace the NFL in 20 - 30 years. Soccer has been making claiming claims like this for decades and even they are still light years ahead of 7s in the US. 

I'm not biased against 7s. I care about it as much every other form of rugby/football,  not at all. Its just a fringe sport I have no interest in. My main contention is does it belong in the olympics based on OG  being the most important achievement. My two seconds of research said no, these people would rather be doing Rugby Union full time and I quoted the statement why. 

After two more seconds of research I again think it should not be in the Olympics. Tom Mikkeslon who a major 7s plays looks  like a former normal ruby union player who never made it to the national team.  A couple other players I checked look like B or C  tier career Rugby Union players.  The spirit of athletic excellence not exactly radiating from this rugby style. 

Its seems analogous to taking baseball minor league players, tweaking the rules to make it faster and have less players, then putting it into the olympics. I'm not trying to argue how aesthetically pleasing 7s is to watch/play. Doesn't do anything for me,  obv it does for you but I don't think that should be the criteria for an Olympic sport. 

58 minutes ago, HawkY said:

I'm not a NFL fan but you will not replace the NFL in 20 - 30 years. Soccer has been making claiming claims like this for decades and even they are still light years ahead of 7s in the US. 

I'm not biased against 7s. I care about it as much every other form of rugby/football,  not at all. Its just a fringe sport I have no interest in. My main contention is does it belong in the olympics based on OG  being the most important achievement. My two seconds of research said no, these people would rather be doing Rugby Union full time and I quoted the statement why. 

After two more seconds of research I again think it should not be in the Olympics. Tom Mikkeslon who a major 7s plays looks  like a former normal ruby union player who never made it to the national team.  A couple other players I checked look like B or C  tier career Rugby Union players.  The spirit of athletic excellence not exactly radiating from this rugby style. 

Its seems analogous to taking baseball minor league players, tweaking the rules to make it faster and have less players, then putting it into the olympics. I'm not trying to argue how aesthetically pleasing 7s is to watch/play. Doesn't do anything for me,  obv it does for you but I don't think that should be the criteria for an Olympic sport. 

A few Greco guys like Adam Coon couldn’t make the freestyle team. The spirit of athletic excellence not exactly radiating from this wrestling style.

PS if you want a quick athleticism background look into Carlin Isles (2016 OTT qualifier 100m, NFL experience), Trae Williams (age group world champ 100m, 200m and senior Australian 100m champ), and Perry Baker (NFL experience) as a starting point. Danny Barret may satisfy your former argument as well in regards to 15s scrubs.being 7s stars.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

A few Greco guys like Adam Coon couldn’t make the freestyle team. The spirit of athletic excellence not exactly radiating from this wrestling style.

PS if you want a quick athleticism background look into Carlin Isles (2016 OTT qualifier 100m, NFL experience), Trae Williams (age group world champ 100m, 200m and senior Australian 100m champ), and Perry Baker (NFL experience) as a starting point. Danny Barret may satisfy your former argument as well in regards to 15s scrubs.being 7s stars.

What I meant by athletic excellence is how good they are in their chosen craft. Not how they'd do in a theoretical decathlon or crossfit challenge against each other. I don't care how fast the discuss throwers 100 meter  is and I don't care about the speed times you listed unless your saying 7s players in general can double enter and win track events.  And yeah 7s people are looking suspiciously like people not at the top going for a variant version of a sport with less talent. I don't think thats what the olympics should be about.

Well yeah I assume most of the US greco guys wanted to and couldn't make the Freestyle team. The US is not a greco nation. The same situation is true in Cuba and Scandinavia but in reverse. That just happens when you have two olympic disciplines similar enough to crossover and with varying amounts of popularity in different regions. Still very different from 7s. There is no pro wrestling league that Greco/FS guys didn't cut it in.  But besides your example doesn't really work for the type of athletic excellence I was mentioning. Would Gable and Gwiz have made the Greco team and beaten Coon? 

Ok so lets look at the people you mentioned. Carlin Isles something about trying out with an NFL team, then signs for some pro Rugby Union thing in Scotland it  doesn't work out and now he apparently plays at some US  amateur? rugby union team in the US called Aspen while doing 7s. Trae Williams,  mainly focused on track and field but didn't win at the senior level and now takes part in 7s. Perry Baker,  signed for the NFL, got hurt and door was shut for return and eventually ends up at 7s. Danny Barret someone who played for the Rugby Union national team and no longer does. Wow a bunch of people who got stuck in their Rugby Union (or Football,  the US barely has a Rugby Union system) journey and jumped at the chance to get on the olympic stage through this means. 

This is so exploitable.  7s version of baseball. Call it Fastball, its baseball but there is a strict clock and only 5 outfielders, larger ball. Put it in the olympics. Bunch of minor leaguer types from baseball join. In countries with no baseball culture random assortment of athletes join it to be in the olympics. I don't like it.  I could see this cluttering  the Olympics with watered down olympic versions of the rich pro sports. 

I get that you are partisan fan of this and the Olympic platform helps you grow, but leaving that aside, even in your ideal world wouldn't you just prefer that 7s was like the NFL and not in the olympics. Its just a pragmatic desire for you right, for growth because of the olympic platform. 

Imo non equestrian olympic sports should pretty closely follow this template

1. Be ancient olympic sports or of a similar spirit (Athletic- Physical events, usually of an individual nature). 

2.  Have the gold medal be the most prestigious prize and be the highest level of their craft. 

So how does 7s stack up. Well its not chess, its running jumping tackling so the athletic physical checks out. It is a team sport but if it follows the rest closely.....

Does it check out for 2. Nope,  its a variant of another pro sport and ideally most would be playing Union full time.  

11 hours ago, HawkY said:

Well yeah I assume most of the US greco guys wanted to and couldn't make the Freestyle team. The US is not a greco nation.

statements like this make me kinda crazy...

the vast majority of our greco guys actually prefer greco... if anyone talked to them, they would find out...

regardless...

carry on the discussion of olympic "sports" and their worthiness of inclusion into what used to be about competition (that maybe naïve) but is now almost 100% about what can make the organizers and the networks the absolute most money...

Interesting that 20% of the poll answers prefer a non-wrestling sport to Greco….and the polling is on a wrestling message board.
I hope that’s not a bad sign for Greco.
I think that beach wrestling and grappling have a better chance in long term. Now there are also new combat sports included.

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

On 7/11/2021 at 11:10 AM, BuckyBadger said:

Interesting that 20% of the poll answers prefer a non-wrestling sport to Greco….and the polling is on a wrestling message board.

I hope that’s not a bad sign for Greco.

The US is not a traditional greco nation and this is a US board.  Maybe if Coon had made the team there'd be a little more greco traffic on there, but yeah its been a graveyard for greco this cycle. 

Its tough to now khow healthy greco actually is. Its obv still niche and not exploding in popularity but its tough to tell if its as a whole treading water, steadily declining ,or inching up. The US has never been a stronghold so you'd have to figure out how its going internationally. The few russian articles that I've translated  (albeit from like 3 years ago) seemed to be pessimistic on its direction and local strength, but thats all the insight I really have.  It might have been outdated  and knee jerk talk. 

One thing greco does have is the ability to attract large amounts of views online for replays of matches. Thats by no means some silver bullet that will save greco.Content makers and community is abysmal (US at least).  But not every activity can generate that amount of views for replays of their events.  Karelin also transcended Greco and entered wider culture, thats a plus to have . 

2 hours ago, grappler111 said:

I think that beach wrestling and grappling have a better chance in long term. Now there are also new combat sports included.

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

The IOC wanted to get rid of Freestyle too. Even if Freestyle is doing significantly better then Greco in various metrics, it still could get gotten rid of along with Greco because of the nature of how these decisions are made. 

Freestyle through its sister style folk  is safe in the US. But internationally?  FS got its weights reduced too.