BTC

Future powerhouse high school program?

SPIRE INSTITUTE AND ACADEMY ANNOUNCES NEW WRESTLING PROGRAM TO BE COACHED BY OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST KENNY MONDAY

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/July/07/SPIRE-Institute-and-Academy-announces-new-wrestling-program-to-be-coached-by-Olympic-gold?fbclid=IwAR2CXICuMLjRjnuzqufjWwbDbAt3L0PI8hiOg0PyG1TDeWXS_WM3NOAw55s

High school forum gets no love so I decided to post on this one. In a few years I believe this program will be on the same tier as Blair and the rest of the powerhouse schools throughout the country. 

Huh? Is Spire a school or a sports facility? The website is pretty unclear. I could not find results for any team. 

Either way, nothing in Monday's history as a coach suggests that he will start the next Blair or even a good team.

26 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Huh? Is Spire a school or a sports facility? The website is pretty unclear. I could not find results for any team. 

Either way, nothing in Monday's history as a coach suggests that he will start the next Blair or even a good team.

At least it isn't one of the single sports "schools"

It's a small sports school with a hefty price tag. It's probably best known for being where LeMelo Ball played his "senior" year as well as for 7'7" Robert Bobroczy. I'm not sure there's any reason to think this wrestling team will soon challenge the top teams in the country with no wrestling tradition and no history of or ambition to create academic excellence. I could maybe see it becoming a place where kids go who want to focus on freestyle full time and forego college wrestling.

5 hours ago, IronChef said:

It's a small sports school with a hefty price tag. It's probably best known for being where LeMelo Ball played his "senior" year as well as for 7'7" Robert Bobroczy. I'm not sure there's any reason to think this wrestling team will soon challenge the top teams in the country with no wrestling tradition and no history of or ambition to create academic excellence. I could maybe see it becoming a place where kids go who want to focus on freestyle full time and forego college wrestling.

That would be pretty neat and Monday plus the style of the school would make it a good fit to be a "freestyle high school" - not sure if that's the plan but I'd approve if it was. 

5 minutes ago, Gantry said:

it a good fit to be a "freestyle high school" - not sure if that's the plan but I'd approve if it was. 

Having that option could be a bridge to the future but the school would need to have a budget for some overseas tournaments if they wanted some out of room competition. 

6 hours ago, IronChef said:

I don't see news of any high school team in any sport at that "school." Did I miss it or is it not there?

I believe several of these newer sport academies are relying more heavily on “online classes” with available tutors, rather than traditional in person HS leaning.  It give the athlete the flexibility to work around weight/conditioning, practice, and travel schedule to improve their athletic skills, while still completing the class credits necessary to graduate and be eligible for college.  And it give the academy the ability to focus on the sports side of thing without spending money on teachers, materials, and school facilities.  

There maybe a few course some student may have to attend in person at a local HS if they have a specific academic path they want to achieve in college.  While usually not as well rounded as in person learning there more higher level online offering are available than there were 10 years ago.  And as we know some athletes are just making sure they do what is necessary academically get to the next level of competition, so the online route is acceptable to them.  

Edited by MadMardigain

"traditional" routes do not interest everyone...

destroying your body and best athletic years for a D1 title does not interest everybody...

alternatives are good for everyone...

good for them... good for monday... good for wrestling...

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

Looks like a strange schedule to me....for example...Toledo St. Francis, and ISA home and away????   Maybe just trying to fill a schedule the first year.  I don't know what ISA is, but St. Francis is just an OK wrestling school.

If it is a school, it's a strange one:

SPIRE Academy is a private, boarding school located in Geneva, OH. It has 45 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 4 to 1. Tuition is $59,500 for the highest grade offered. After graduation, 80% of students from this school go on to attend a 4-year college.

It has some staff that seems to have come from IMG academy backgrounds.

Appears to be owned by some private equity investors out of Maryland.

I'm not sure how the IMG model works, but you can't give everyone a scholarship or the numbers won't work.   Someone has to pay tuition. 

4 hours ago, OldGrappler said:

It has some staff that seems to have come from IMG academy backgrounds.

Appears to be owned by some private equity investors out of Maryland.

I'm not sure how the IMG model works, but you can't give everyone a scholarship or the numbers won't work.   Someone has to pay tuition. 

IMG is a sports agency at its roots. IMG Sports Academy is heavily subsidized by said agency and also sponsored by heavy hitters such as Under Armour and Gatorade. It’s a pretty icky business model in the US when you quickly connect the dots but Euros wouldn’t blink twice because this has long been the soccer, rugby, etc. academy model. I will also say that I genuinely appreciate IMG SA for not lying to be something they are not- they want to help premier athletes that will excel at the highest levels and simply want a return on their investment. Cold, ruthless, and honest.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

IMG is a sports agency at its roots. IMG Sports Academy is heavily subsidized by said agency and also sponsored by heavy hitters such as Under Armour and Gatorade. It’s a pretty icky business model in the US when you quickly connect the dots but Euros wouldn’t blink twice because this has long been the soccer, rugby, etc. academy model. I will also say that I genuinely appreciate IMG SA for not lying to be something they are not- they want to help premier athletes that will excel at the highest levels and simply want a return on their investment. Cold, ruthless, and honest.

Hoping they will get a return on some of their investment.  Nothing more, nothing less. The rest of those subscribing to the academy, minus a couple diamonds in the rough, are just helping to subsidize that means. 

My only concern is these types of schools kill normal high school programs. 

outside of that, more power to them. Pouring money into wrestling is a good thing. Kenny Monday has his quirks from what I understand, but he is an excellent coach

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

My only concern is these types of schools kill normal high school programs. 

outside of that, more power to them. Pouring money into wrestling is a good thing. Kenny Monday has his quirks from what I understand, but he is an excellent coach

They will never kill “normal” high schools since they do not cater to the “normal” athlete or family, only the top 1%. 

2 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

They will never kill “normal” high schools since they do not cater to the “normal” athlete or family, only the top 1%. 

Bingo. These types of sports academies just remove the façade that currently exists in US age-group elite athletics, and it shifts the burden of the athlete's family but in many ways it actually relieves that same burden.

Is Oak Hill a B-ball sports academy? I live in VA and have never heard of them playing any VA teams in B-ball or anything else.

Edit: I just looked it up. https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/oak-hill-academy-warriors-(mouth-of-wilson,va)/basketball-winter-20-21/schedule.htm

This type of sports school is something that my libertarian leanings could get behind. Next step is to divorce sports from school altogether.

Edit 2: Oak Hill is also taking steps to form a national league, like if Blair, Apple Valley, Bosco, et al just cut ties from their traditional governing bodies: https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10003600-elite-national-league-nibc-formed-by-oak-hill-academy-top-boys-hs-basketball-schools.amp.html

Edited by jackwebster