Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Dave Amato retires at Brown

We as fans who want to keep Brown in wrestling should hope for a coach who is not just a great wrestling coach, but also experienced enough in building an underperforming program without a lot of administrative support.

Guys like Guerrero, Cunningham, etc. are undoubtedly great wrestling coaches. But can they build an Ivy League team while elevating the sport's status with the administration? Do they have experience running a small budget and garnering support from alumni and the community? Maybe.

At the top of my list would be Terry Brands. Say what you will about the guy, but Terry can coach his ass off and has proven it in college at UTC and Iowa as well as at the highest levels at the OTC. His UTC experience is particularly relevant given Brown's inability to attract talent like Iowa (or the OTC) can. The Brands brothers are very polarizing figures but I am in the "much more good than bad" camp. I don't see any way Terry leaves Iowa for Brown, though, unless he gets a meaningful pay raise with a long-term commitment towards wrestling from the athletic department.

Troy Steiner. Z gets a lot of credit for doing a great job at Oregon State. Steiner deserves a lot of credit too, which has been recognized by his Associate Head Coach title and the fact he's been by Z's side for a while now. Steiner has business experience running his own wrestling school/club while at Wisconsin, which is a meaningful plus.

John Stutzman. He is not star-studded and many don't even know who he is, but he has done a fine job at Bloombsburg given his situation (not fully-funded, in a state with intense competition for talent, and not much of a budget -- apparently not enough to hire more than one assistant). Brown would be a significant step up.

Either of the Cornell assistants. I think Hahn has it too good and will hold out for something bigger but maybe Spates can be lured. I think Spates was instrumental in Kyle Dake's development as the middleweight coach and has learned a thing or two from his dad (who started Cornell in the right direction) and Koll.

Matt Valenti is an interesting thought, but in the end, he hasn't shown enough and is probably too inexperienced to consider absent a lack of significantly more qualified candidates, at which point he might be worth betting on. He has experience at two Ivies as a coach and at an Ivy as a very successful wrestler (one of the best Ivy wrestlers ever, in my opinion).

I'm remembering the famous chant my dad told me about from the Harvard vs Brown football games. It had to do with what else brown is the color of.

They do a Lehigh chant?

No idea. I just know that half the section would cheer loudly, "What color is s***?!" and then the rest of the section would yell back "Brown!!!" It probably sounds better when it's actually cheered, not typed.

Coaching an ivy league team is completely different then a big10 or other fully funded program. A great former wrestler is not the most important quality at all. Being a CEO, who can fund raise, recruit, get kids in, play politics iwith the administration is much more important. Finding great wrestlers to be assistants is much easier and cheaper. I'll throw a name out there that could work, how about Buxton?

Coaching an ivy league team is completely different then a big10 or other fully funded program. A great former wrestler is not the most important quality at all. Being a CEO, who can fund raise, recruit, get kids in, play politics iwith the administration is much more important. Finding great wrestlers to be assistants is much easier and cheaper. I'll throw a name out there that could work, how about Buxton?

+1

I think coaching an ivy team is completely different than coaching almost any other program - big 10, fully funded, or not. I think it takes a unique skill set outside of the wrestling realm to be successful in such an environment, with all the qualities mentioned above - and I would say all of these skills (recruiting/politicking/fundraising) are equally important. The importance of the skills would vary according to the particular ivy, and I'm not sure which would be more important at Brown. I think Brown would be wise to look at Koll, and his non-wrestling skills to determine the qualities most needed in hiring a new head coach.

As far as names - I believe Buxton would be great, but I would guess that he doesn't have any desire to play the politics of D-1 wrestling, or to build a program from the bottom up. I have confidence that he could, I just doubt he'd want to. It might be the perfect fit for Jeremy Spates though.

It'll be interesting to see how all these coaching changes/hirings play out

I think that Ivy fans think that coaching in the Ivy League requires a different skill set and a special fit, but the truth is that a great coach is a great coach. Koll, for example would be a great coach anywhere. So would Borelli.

All the good coaches have to "fund raise, recruit, get kids in, play politics with the administration." This is coaching 101. This idea of thinking that they're different is why some of these programs underperformed on the national level before the last decade. Those days are over. It's sink or swim now. Mediocre teams get cut.

However, I do agree that Buxton would be a truly exceptional coach for Brown, if he were willing to put up with a little attitude. Didn't he go to college in Rhode Island?

I think that Ivy fans think that coaching in the Ivy League requires a different skill set and a special fit, but the truth is that a great coach is a great coach. Koll, for example would be a great coach anywhere. So would Borelli.

All the good coaches have to "fund raise, recruit, get kids in, play politics with the administration." This is coaching 101. This idea of thinking that they're different is why some of these programs underperformed on the national level before the last decade. Those days are over. It's sink or swim now. Mediocre teams get cut.

However, I do agree that Buxton would be a truly exceptional coach for Brown, if he were willing to put up with a little attitude. Didn't he go to college in Rhode Island?

URI '79

Garry Barton was his coach.

I agree Buxton would be a good choice...He's accustom to working in an Ivy like environment. And a Blair pipeline certainly couldn't hurt. I know he is no longer at Blair but is he still in NJ? I thought I remember hearing that he set up a club somewhere. Now if Brown could set up an agricultural college they would be in business (I couldn't resist). Brown is more situated like Columbia, Harvard and Princeton and has a smaller pool of atheletes to choose from. It's not an easy position to be in and you can't expect to be in the top 10 dual team race year in and year out. But with that being said Brown is a great school and being the head coach would be nice job for the right person.