Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Positive test prior to Olympic final

IOC released protocols, and specific to wrestling, if a finalist athlete tests positive the day of the final (they are testing every day of the competition), they are out of the final, and the athlete they beat in the semi-finals gets bumped up to compete in the final (assuming they test negative of course).  The positive athlete will be marked as DNS.  What has not been clarified is if that athlete will lose their medal, or if there would be two silvers awarded.  I assume there would be no bronze match in that scenario, as the athlete now with no opponent would have just beaten the person next in line.   So a lot of ambiguity with this, along with the fact that the one athlete is out (and possibly losing out on a medal), while the athlete that they had just traded blood, sweat, and heavy lungs in the previous match gets put in their place, and now guaranteed a medal instead of having to win one more.    

Very strange.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

IOC released protocols, and specific to wrestling, if a finalist athlete tests positive the day of the final (they are testing every day of the competition), they are out of the final, and the athlete they beat in the semi-finals gets bumped up to compete in the final (assuming they test negative of course).  The positive athlete will be marked as DNS.  What has not been clarified is if that athlete will lose their medal, or if there would be two silvers awarded.  I assume there would be no bronze match in that scenario, as the athlete now with no opponent would have just beaten the person next in line.   So a lot of ambiguity with this, along with the fact that the one athlete is out (and possibly losing out on a medal), while the athlete that they had just traded blood, sweat, and heavy lungs in the previous match gets put in their place, and now guaranteed a medal instead of having to win one more.    

Very strange.

Indeed, that is serious exposure.  Along with the officials grabbing/shaking hands, shaking hands with coaches.  Some contacts trace themselves!

I originally read this as if it was about steroids rather than COVID and was very confused..... like "wait, why does Lurker think a guy who had a positive test should still get a medal?" :)

I think what would be fair is to have an extra medal awarded in that scenario.... 1 gold, 2 silver, and 2 bronze.

1 hour ago, rpm002 said:

I originally read this as if it was about steroids rather than COVID and was very confused..... like "wait, why does Lurker think a guy who had a positive test should still get a medal?" :)

I think what would be fair is to have an extra medal awarded in that scenario.... 1 gold, 2 silver, and 2 bronze.

Except only one bronze.  I don't think you bump another guy up for a bronze medal match, I think you just award it to the athlete that lost that respective semifinal.  Not saying that's how I'd like it, but knowing how the IOC is touchy on their medal counts...

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Except only one bronze.  I don't think you bump another guy up for a bronze medal match, I think you just award it to the athlete that lost that respective semifinal.  Not saying that's how I'd like it, but knowing how the IOC is touchy on their medal counts...

They could set it up to end up with 2 Bronze medals awarded like usual.  Just one that is contested and one given to the person on the other side who made it through the repurchase. 

Edited by MadMardigain

13 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

They could set it up to end up with 2 Bronze medals awarded like usual.  Just one that is contested and one given to the person on the other side who made it through the repurchase. 

Yeah that's what I was meaning, I said the guy the lost the semi-final but obviously I goofed, since he would be in the final in this scenario.   

Too many concussions.....