VakAttack

Oh no, Nebraska, baby, what is you doin?

Could be scary....I just looked him up in Wikipedia.    

Alberts made the controversial decision to eliminate football and wrestling in an effort to bring University of Nebraska-Omaha to Division I's Summit League. The regents approved the move March 25, 2011.[11]

On July 14th, 2021, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln announced that he would be the new Athletic Director.[2]

50 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Not only did he eliminate UNO wrestling, he called Coach Denney they night they won their third consecutive D2 team title and broke the news to him that way.

...when they were in Nebraska a few short hours away.  Oh and changed the locks too!

I called this in June though and people said it wouldn't happen.  It has.   Mark Manning is a former UNO guy.   Don't let Trev size up the wrestling room... might turn it into an AD suite. 

HIs record at UNO is of consistent mediocrity and includes folding the best team on campus. 

But, much like the wrestling community always seems to want to hire the best wrestlers to coach programs - even though the skill sets are very different - many schools/boosters can't seem to move on from their past and welcome a new perspective and way forward.

Ultimately, if NU football continues to stink, Alberts will be forced to fire fellow alum Scott Frost and will then follow Frost out the door himself.  It's that simple.  

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I just looked through the Huskers recent FB results.  Their best years are most definitely behind them.  They scheduled Fordham(!) this year, so they should get at least one win. 

They almost lost to SW Louisiana or some team like that a few years ago.  Came down to a bs 65 yard punt return with time expiring to win. 

On 7/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, fadzaev2 said:

Could be scary....I just looked him up in Wikipedia.    

Alberts made the controversial decision to eliminate football and wrestling in an effort to bring University of Nebraska-Omaha to Division I's Summit League. The regents approved the move March 25, 2011.[11]

On July 14th, 2021, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln announced that he would be the new Athletic Director.[2]

Edited by fadzaev2

I had heard the story about wrestling getting dropped, but didn't know he dropped football too.   I'd have to believe a guy who played D1 football being the AD and dropping his school's team has probably never happened elsewhere (and I'd be surprised if an AD that played any D1 sport has dropped that sport at their school either).

Edited by 1032004

Im not surprised Nebraska did this. They are so desperate to tie their identity to what they were pre-2000s for football. It'll be interesting to see how far they will fall before realizing this is not a formula for success. 

1 hour ago, fadzaev2 said:

I just found it.....this is scary.  A number of years ago, University of Toledo Athletic Director Al Bohl, dropped wrestling.  Eventually he went to Fresno State (Dennis DeLiddo, Gerry and Stephen Abas, etc.) and he dropped wrestling there.  This better not happen in Lincoln.

Thomas Boeh was the AD who dropped wrestling (the first time) at Fresno State, not Al Bohl.

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I had heard the story about wrestling getting dropped, but didn't know he dropped football too.   I'd have to believe a guy who played D1 football being the AD and dropping his school's team has probably never happened elsewhere (and I'd be surprised if an AD that played any D1 sport has dropped that sport at their school either).

When BYU dropped wrestling their AD at the time was a former AA wrestler.  That being said, I think BYU was under pressure from the DOE for being in violation of T9.  I don't remember all the details.

2 hours ago, smsu150 said:

When BYU dropped wrestling their AD at the time was a former AA wrestler.  That being said, I think BYU was under pressure from the DOE for being in violation of T9.  I don't remember all the details.

Using BYU is a terrible comparison as they had never been fully funded, never had the full support of the administration. Shoot I don't even think Schultz ever had a full time Assistant Coach. When BYU skipped over Steve Sanderson and hired Schultz, Sanderson was very vocal that his boys "would never go to BYU!". Just think if the Sanderson crew would have gone to BYU! Would the landscape of college wrestling in the West be so much different or the same? 

BYU is constantly struggling with the "competition on Sunday" topic. So for them to compete against the tougher D1 schools, it is a Friday night and Sunday afternoon type of schedule they needed to adapt. Sure there were some workarounds but getting everyone to adjust to accommodate a so-so team from the Intermountain region of the West was just too much to ask.  The Title 9 issue could very well have played a part, and it could have just been an excuse used to avoid the hard questions or seeing a vast following of Wrestling people roll up their sleeves to work at saving a program. 

I read that Alberts was the only candidate out of 25 that was interviewed. I am shocked that there was not a more qualified person that applied! No offense but we are talking about the Nebraska AD job, not the AD job at Sacred Heart. 

Edited by TexRef

After Osborne retired and his recruits cycled through, the huskers imploded.  They changed HC five times in 20 years.  This is Frost's 4th year and he is 9-15.  Stick a fork in him.  They have changed ADs even more in that time frame.

46 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I read that Alberts was the only candidate out of 25 that was interviewed. I am shocked that there was not a more qualified person that applied! No offense but we are talking about the Nebraska AD job, not the AD job at Sacred Heart. 

Burroughs was on the committee too.  I am wondering if they even heard about others and names on those?

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Using BYU is a terrible comparison as they had never been fully funded, never had the full support of the administration. Shoot I don't even think Schultz ever had a full time Assistant Coach. When BYU skipped over Steve Sanderson and hired Schultz, Sanderson was very vocal that his boys "would never go to BYU!". Just think if the Sanderson crew would have gone to BYU! Would the landscape of college wrestling in the West be so much different or the same? 

BYU is constantly struggling with the "competition on Sunday" topic. So for them to compete against the tougher D1 schools, it is a Friday night and Sunday afternoon type of schedule they needed to adapt. Sure there were some workarounds but getting everyone to adjust to accommodate a so-so team from the Intermountain region of the West was just too much to ask.  The Title 9 issue could very well have played a part, and it could have just been an excuse used to avoid the hard questions or seeing a vast following of Wrestling people roll up their sleeves to work at saving a program. 

Found this from when the program was dropped. 

https://byucougars.com/story/athletics/48261/byu-phase-out-mens-gymnastics-and-wrestling

On 7/15/2021 at 12:03 AM, SetonHallPirate said:

Thomas Boeh was the AD who dropped wrestling (the first time) at Fresno State, not Al Bohl.

Did some more research......you are right....I thought A.B. was still there....when he left Toledo I warned DiLetto about him .......thanks for clarifying that.

Edited by fadzaev2