Jump to content
VakAttack

Oh no, Nebraska, baby, what is you doin?

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Im not surprised Nebraska did this. They are so desperate to tie their identity to what they were pre-2000s for football. It'll be interesting to see how far they will fall before realizing this is not a formula for success. 

If they REALLY want to get back to their pre-2000 status, they need to get back into the Big 12 to recruit Texas kids. And schedule an A&M game along with UT , TTU and TCU, possibly an SMU or North Texas or Baylor game OOC game as well. Texas kids would like to be able to play in front of their (former) home fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BadgerMon said:

If they REALLY want to get back to their pre-2000 status, they need to get back into the Big 12 to recruit Texas kids. And schedule an A&M game along with UT , TTU and TCU, possibly an SMU or North Texas or Baylor game OOC game as well. Texas kids would like to be able to play in front of their (former) home fans.

They need to change their recruits and get back on the police blotter if they REALLY, REALLY want to get back to their former status.  Maybe bring back Richie Incognito for some seminars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadgerMon said:

If they REALLY want to get back to their pre-2000 status, they need to get back into the Big 12 to recruit Texas kids. And schedule an A&M game along with UT , TTU and TCU, possibly an SMU or North Texas or Baylor game OOC game as well. Texas kids would like to be able to play in front of their (former) home fans.

They need to stop leaning into tradition and hire the best people for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

They need to stop leaning into tradition and hire the best people for the job.

oddly ~ half the teams in every conference fail to take this sage advice and thus end up with a losing record ;_;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN hit Alberts with a piece on Outside The Lines (article here but I cannot find the video URL anywhere). Unfortunately it appears that the damage was mitigated over the years of cutting the most successful program in the UNO athletics department, and it bears mentioning that the wrestling team was proven by FOIAs to 1) be self-sustaining, and 2) turning a profit of approximately $143k annually. I wish Mark Manning and his team the best, but from this point going forward I absolutely cannot root for anyone associated with Nebraska as long as Trev Alberts is an employee.

Edited by bnwtwg
insert URL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Alberts is a true snake and POS person.  Manning better watch his back or his program will be cut.

Wrestling will be safe as long as the B1G is a conference. The other olympic sports do not share the same protections and alumni need to watch out for their own IMMEDIATELY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Wrestling will be safe as long as the B1G is a conference. The other olympic sports do not share the same protections and alumni need to watch out for their own IMMEDIATELY.

Ya doesn't the big 10 require all programs to carry wrestling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I am from and live in Omaha, I didn't follow wrestling a lot in the past.  I knew they were really good (I attended a meet or two) and I was shocked when it was abruptly eliminated.

 

I will say that when they were talking about who might take over as AD, there were a lot of very vocal critics against Trev Alberts because of the handling of the UNO Wrestling program.  There were people on a board that talks football more than any other sport that were talking about ceasing their allegiance altogether if Alberts was picked.  

 

I don't think he would actually get rid of wrestling in Lincoln, but it makes you wonder what could happen with the program. I'm not sure what occurs when your AD and coaches are specifically at odds.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

I would think that Frost would be as good as any to take a flyer on?

I dont think it was their best option. They needed a great recruiter — someone with experience recruiting to the middle of nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, Drake_Mallard said:

I dont think it was their best option. They needed a great recruiter — someone with experience recruiting to the middle of nowhere.

Frost is a NAME, however in the Midwest. And a proven winner, both on the field and the sidelines. AND has built a program from scratch to dominance. And no baggage.

He landed one heckuva kid in redshirt freshman Nash Hutmacher ( four time undefeated heavyweight from SD) who will be a force on defense. Nash could have went anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, BadgerMon said:

Frost is a NAME, however in the Midwest. And a proven winner, both on the field and the sidelines. AND has built a program from scratch to dominance. And no baggage.

He landed one heckuva kid in redshirt freshman Nash Hutmacher ( four time undefeated heavyweight from SD) who will be a force on defense. Nash could have went anywhere.

Yeah,  but they need to put more $$$ out there for all the best guys in surrounding states.  Nash going to Nebraska isn't a surprise.  I think FROST needs Walt Disney World to be down the street again to be successful, because a lot of these athletes complain about nothing to do,  yet they find plenty of time to not do their homework and fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swayz said:

Yeah,  but they need to put more $$$ out there for all the best guys in surrounding states.  Nash going to Nebraska isn't a surprise.  I think FROST needs Walt Disney World to be down the street again to be successful, because a lot of these athletes complain about nothing to do,  yet they find plenty of time to not do their homework and fail.

The really good recruits are looking for a college team that puts people in the NFL. Lincoln, Nebraska used to be an easy sell because the NFL was chock full of Huskers.  Not so much anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Swayz said:

Yeah,  but they need to put more $$$ out there for all the best guys in surrounding states.  Nash going to Nebraska isn't a surprise.  I think FROST needs Walt Disney World to be down the street again to be successful, because a lot of these athletes complain about nothing to do,  yet they find plenty of time to not do their homework and fail.

Maybe so. Road trip to Omaha is their best option or chase the townies in Kearney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...