Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

What happens to the PA State Schools with merger?

I was thinking the same thing.

No one wants to see fewer D1 programs but I've thought for years that PA needs some state school consolidations.

Would I want 4 "severely" underfunded programs or two well funded programs that will actually be viable?  I'll take the two programs.

99% of people on here don't give Clarion, Bloomsburg or Edinboro now that Flynn is gone a moments notice.

Create two potential power programs in PA? YES!

3 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I was thinking the same thing.

No one wants to see fewer D1 programs but I've thought for years that PA needs some state school consolidations.

Would I want 4 "severely" underfunded programs or two well funded programs that will actually be viable?  I'll take the two programs.

99% of people on here don't give Clarion, Bloomsburg or Edinboro now that Flynn is gone a moments notice.

Create two potential power programs in PA? YES!

Optimistic to think the two programs would be any better funded.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Optimistic to think the two programs would be any better funded.

I agree. Plus there is a lot of history in those programs. It would be a shame to see that come to an end. With all the talent in PA, it’s possible to have multiple teams be fairly successful. The right coach can make that happen. Edinboro was tough not that long ago and Lock Haven has had some pretty good success recently. It’s just hard to compete with the big schools. Hopefully PSU quits hogging all the talent.

11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

From what I heard some time ago,  it's a merger administratively but they would keep their athletic identities. Not sure, that was a year or two ago.

That continues to be what is said.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/07/14/vote-passes-to-consolidate-6-state-universities/%3famp

“While each campus will go by its original name, they will act as one. 

The spokesperson with PASSHE says both universities will be accredited with a single president, single leadership team and a single faculty cohort and athletics will remain on each individual campus.”

Clarion’s President will now lead the new school that has campuses at Clarion, Edinboro, and California. 

It’s a plan to reduce administrative bloat and eliminate redundancies that can be shared across campuses. 

4 hours ago, Pinnum said:

That continues to be what is said.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/07/14/vote-passes-to-consolidate-6-state-universities/%3famp

“While each campus will go by its original name, they will act as one. 

The spokesperson with PASSHE says both universities will be accredited with a single president, single leadership team and a single faculty cohort and athletics will remain on each individual campus.”

Clarion’s President will now lead the new school that has campuses at Clarion, Edinboro, and California. 

It’s a plan to reduce administrative bloat and eliminate redundancies that can be shared across campuses. 

Thanks Pinnum. it actually makes a ton of sense imo