A couple of questions for the mavens:

1. On this forum, it's generally stated that Dake won his world titles against lesser competition. I get that the Olympic weights are more prestigious. But otherwise, isn't it generally true that it's harder to beat a heavier wrestler than a lighter one.

2. Themat.com's article (https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/July/17/Olympic-preview-at-74-kg-mens-freestyle) notes here are two guys in the bracket who won their world medals a decade ago. Garzon of Cuba won bronze at the 2010 World Championships, which was his last World appearance until 2019. Gomez of Puerto Rico won silver in 2011. I know Burroughs won in 2011, too, but is it pretty unusual for guys to compete for so long.

I'm not sure of the questions.

Yes it's harder to beat a heavier wrestler when you're giving up weight. No the talent pool at 70kg isn't as deep as 65kg just cause they're heavier. I don't think any of the 70kg guys would place at 65kg (or make their own team)

Basically the same with 57/61kg .

So yes they are heavier.... No not better.

And yes those guys are older, they were just listing anyone with any achievements.

*I'm not going to look but it wouldn't shock me if Dake was the only 79kg wrestler from the last Worlds to be his country's rep for the Olympics.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

20 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

That is still insane, with the level of success he is still seeing this many years later.

Both him and Chamizo (obviously to a greater extent) coming from down that low and being this competitive at 74 is impressive.

Its not just olympics that limit themselves to the showcase weights. 

The European, Asian, and Pan Am games do as well. 

Thats the 4th most prestigious competition for a wrestler (behind Oly, Worlds, Continentals). Thats huge for a sport where some wrestlers only compete in a couple international events .