NJDan

Olympic Entourage

I read in Mike Grey's email to the Cornell list that he and Yianni D. are both traveling with Kyle Dake to Tokyo. I am certainly glad to see that KD is getting plenty of support, but do all wrestlers get to bring a personal coach and training partner? (I am assuming that Grey is not a team coach.) If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to limit the entourages (not just for wrestling, but for all sports)? If they did that, maybe the IOC could afford to allow 10 weights or at least eight.

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

I read in Mike Grey's email to the Cornell list that he and Yianni D. are both traveling with Kyle Dake to Tokyo. I am certainly glad to see that KD is getting plenty of support, but do all wrestlers get to bring a personal coach and training partner? (I am assuming that Grey is not a team coach.) If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to limit the entourages (not just for wrestling, but for all sports)? If they did that, maybe the IOC could afford to allow 10 weights or at least eight.

So you would suggest that our wrestlers do not bring training partners or coaches?  Sounds reasonable...

9 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

So you would suggest that our wrestlers do not bring training partners or coaches?  Sounds reasonable...

I would suggest that they all don't need personal coaches or personal partners, or really that I'd rather give spots to more competitors and fewer coaches or partners.

I would absolutely trade all personal coaches for 10 weights instead of 6. You wouldn't? Clearly, the number of coaches is not related to the reason there are six weights, but if that's what it took, it wouldn't be a hard decision.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I would suggest that they all don't need personal coaches or personal partners, or really that I'd rather give spots to more competitors and fewer coaches or partners.

The athletes get their personal coaches and training partners, because those are the people that know them best, both in preparation and in match tactics. 

The number of support personnel has absolutely nothing, zero, zip, nada factor in the number of medals the IOC is allotting for each event. There’s absolutely no interaction between the two. So eliminating the people who know our athletes best is not in the best interest of anything. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There’s absolutely no interaction between the two. So eliminating the people who know our athletes best is not in the best interest of anything. 

Stahpit.

It's Monday.  Folks aren't going to want to logix it up yet.

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The athletes get their personal coaches and training partners, because those are the people that know them best, both in preparation and in match tactics. 

The number of support personnel has absolutely nothing, zero, zip, nada factor in the number of medals the IOC is allotting for each event. There’s absolutely no interaction between the two. So eliminating the people who know our athletes best is not in the best interest of anything. 

Why do you say that? I am just speculating, bu isn't the reason they threatened to cut wrestling is that the IOC wants to keep the number of competitors below a certain level? Don't the personal coaches and training partners need to be housed and fed, just like the competitors? Or are they housed privately? I don't know, but it would seem to me that they could send 10 competitors and, say, three coaches and three training partners for the same price as they could sent six competitors with six coaches and six training partners. 

I could be way off, but there seems to be a lot of staffers for the number of wrestlers.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I would absolutely trade all personal coaches for 10 weights instead of 6. You wouldn't? Clearly, the number of coaches is not related to the reason there are six weights, but if that's what it took, it wouldn't be a hard decision.

I would like a million dollars and a date with Benedict Arnold's beautiful wife Peggy...but neither is an option!

43 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why do you say that? I am just speculating, bu isn't the reason they threatened to cut wrestling is that the IOC wants to keep the number of competitors below a certain level? Don't the personal coaches and training partners need to be housed and fed, just like the competitors? Or are they housed privately? I don't know, but it would seem to me that they could send 10 competitors and, say, three coaches and three training partners for the same price as they could sent six competitors with six coaches and six training partners. 

I could be way off, but there seems to be a lot of staffers for the number of wrestlers.

the reason there's less weights is because the IOC wanted to add new sports while keeping total number of athletes the same. 

i don't think personal coaches or training partners have anything to do with it. and i don't believe their expenses are covered by the IOC. 

21 hours ago, NJDan said:

The team gets five coaches, each athlete gets a training partner, but this deaf/blind world champion swimmer can't have her absolutely necessary personal care assistant (her mom).  So she quit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/19/becca-meyers-tokyo-paralympics/

The team gets five coaches, each athlete gets a training partner, but this deaf/blind world champion swimmer can't have her absolutely necessary personal care assistant (her mom).  So she quit.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/19/becca-meyers-tokyo-paralympics/

That made me really, really sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/19/2021 at 9:40 AM, NJDan said:

I say that because the coaching/support staff has zero factor in how many events the IOC holds and how many medals they allocate for each event. I don’t know why else I would say it?

13 hours ago, klehner said:

That is awful. How in the blue hell does Tokyo expect a deaf and blind paralympian expected to navigate on their own? Shame on the US, the richest country in the world where NBC touts the Paralympics no less, to not get this done and done right the first, or second, or third time. That is a damn shame and good for Becca Meyers for taking a stand.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, Husker_Du said:

the reason there's less weights is because the IOC wanted to add new sports while keeping total number of athletes the same. 

i don't think personal coaches or training partners have anything to do with it. and i don't believe their expenses are covered by the IOC. 

Such sports as "open water swimming" , golf, surfing, skateboarding, sportclimbing, 3X3 soccer and probably more.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why the quotation marks around open water swimming?

Because the density of salt water is high relative to the human body and swimming in the open ocean is to easy?

Edited by Plasmodium