Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

Destin McCauley? Where is he?

Dake only won by 1 point in Folk three times but got the fall in Free.

Seems like a big difference on the surface of it.

Taylor also wrestled far more conservatively in Folkstyle than he did in Freestyle

Taylor wrestling more conservatively makes sense. Folkstyle is a far more conservative style naturally since you need control to do anything of substance. In Free you have much more opportunity to move your opponent in unusual ways and quickly get points and you are in danger of getting pinned if you try to funk takedowns for stalemates like you might in folk.

That Destin McCauley and Steiber match is an example of the freestyle pin, Steiber did a roll over his shoulder blades and his motion was never close to stopping yet he was pinned. Now McCauley was taking it to him before the pin with takedowns and exposure so it wouldn't have changed who was going to win but still.

Why do so many people act like there is no difference between freestyle and folk on this board?

People that think there is no difference are oversimplifying, which irritates me, but what also has irritated me is when people go to the opposite extreme and say there is no correlation. The rules in freestyle are completely different, but you can still analyze a wrestling match and make a prediction about who the better wrestler is. Like with Dake and Taylor, the freestyle result had no bearing on the margin of victory of the folkstyle result, because points are scored in different ways, but the way in which Dake was able to dominate Taylor in freestyle, at its core, all revolved around handfighting and controlling the tie. And in their 3 folkstyle matches, despite the fact that they were razor thin margins of victory for Dake, he won because he was better at handfighting and controlling the pace of the match. He forced Taylor to "not wrestle like Taylor" anymore. I predicted this based on their freestyle match. If however, Dake had won the freestyle match after being taken down multiple times by Taylor, but then managed to get one takedown and hit a series of ankle laces for the win....well then I'd favor Taylor in folk. A great example of this was Cael Sanderson versus Les Gutches at the 2000 U.S. Open. Cael was dominating Gutches with multiple takedowns. And making it look easy. But he got sloppy a few times during the match, and that's all that was required for Gutches to take advantage and rack up some major exposure points and win. So obviously Cael would have been favored in folkstyle. But that's not the way it happens all the time, which is why each individual match has to be analyzed independently. Similar logic behind why I think Taylor would have a tough time with Howe (based on their match at OTT last year in which Howe crushed him from neutral), although I bet the matches would be very close as well.

The best point against my argument is the list of NCAA Champs that succeed at the international level, so I agree there is definitely a correlation of success between the two. But those guys are training year round freestyle and the cream rises to the top in a similar fashion as college although there are usually some differences in the pecking order. However, when college guys are training primarily folkstyle and dabble in freestyle in the off season, you often get some contradictory results between the two. Some guys are more a natural fit then others for free and will be better early on. Take that one step further, is it really fair to compare a guy like McCauley, that has done nothing but freestyle for two years with Stieber who has wrestled college for two years? I just can't put too much into that type of result.

The best point against my argument is the list of NCAA Champs that succeed at the international level, so I agree there is definitely a correlation of success between the two. But those guys are training year round freestyle and the cream rises to the top in a similar fashion as college although there are usually some differences in the pecking order. However, when college guys are training primarily folkstyle and dabble in freestyle in the off season, you often get some contradictory results between the two. Some guys are more a natural fit then others for free and will be better early on. Take that one step further, is it really fair to compare a guy like McCauley, that has done nothing but freestyle for two years with Stieber who has wrestled college for two years? I just can't put too much into that type of result.

Logan Steiber was wrestling folkstyle year round and went on to place 2nd in the world against guys who have never wrestled anything but freestyle. When you're good...you're good.

If there is not a very strong correlation between freestyle and folkstyle success, and even meaningful predictive power from freestyle ability, then the vast majority of D1 coaches must be a bunch of morons for taking so much interest in the freestyle results of their recruits.

The two are more closely correlated than most people on this board seem to think. While the results of one particular match alone are not enough to suggest much about the way a folkstyle match would go down, analyzing how a freestyle match was won can and often does inform how two guys might do against each other in folkstyle.

Barring the pin, I thought McCauley wrestled a much better match than Stieber and showed a lot of folkstyle potential. His TD variety, his positioning and setups, and his athleticism all showed in that match and are all directly transferable to folkstyle.

Anyway, this match happened some time ago now and I'm sure both guys have evolved as wrestlers since then, so who knows how a match would go today, let alone next year?

So how does this affect the Nebraska lineup? Already have Sueflohn and Green at 149 and 157. Sueflohn is not a big 149lber... does Green bump up?

all three have a RS to use.

Willie, are you sure McCauley has a redshirt year? I thought the eligibility clock starts one year after graduating High School, so since McCauley spent two years at the OTC--I thought he only has 4 years left to compete for 4?

To my understanding and unless they changed the rule this year, your Division 1 clock does not start (compete 4 seasons in 5 years) until you enroll FULL-TIME into an educational institution.

It is different for D2, as your do not have a running clock, rather you have 10 semesters of FULL-TIME eligibility. So if you want to take a semester off in D2, your clock stops.

To my understanding and unless they changed the rule this year, your Division 1 clock does not start (compete 4 seasons in 5 years) until you enroll FULL-TIME into an educational institution.

It is different for D2, as your do not have a running clock, rather you have 10 semesters of FULL-TIME eligibility. So if you want to take a semester off in D2, your clock stops.

This is correct. McCauley is entering as if he were any other freshman.

So does Nebraska have commitments from Pat Downey, Earl Hall, and Destin Mccauley? And are all three considered "freshmen?"

Earl Hall is now a Cyclone

Certainly would have been nice to get Hall, but NU has Anthony Albin coming in from JUCO at 133/141. Still not certain who will be at 125 next year, Hall would have helped.

Any other been in 3 colleges and the OTC 21 yr old freshman. This stuff is getting out of hand. For heavens sake go to college wrestle 4 or 5 years (if you have been injured or are academically challenged) then either pursue an Olympic hopeful wrestling career or get a job and join the world.

So does Nebraska have commitments from Pat Downey, Earl Hall, and Destin Mccauley? And are all three considered "freshmen?"

Certainly would have been nice to get Hall, but NU has Anthony Albin coming in from JUCO at 133/141. Still not certain who will be at 125 next year, Hall would have helped.

Hall would have been a great addition to the class for sure. I am guessing Lambert will be the guy at 125lbs next year.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... EASON=2012

I think you meant Anthony Abidin

The following is a summary of the Husker wrestling team commits:

Anthony Abidin Nassau CC 133 / 141 pounds

As a freshman at Nassau CC he won the JUCO championship at 133 lb. He redshirted this past season and will have 3 years eligibility remaining. As a high school senior he won the New York state 125 lb. championship. He went 36-1 as a senior.

Colton McCrystal from Iowa was 50-0 his senior year and won his second state title. He was runner up his freshman and sophomore years and had a career record of 193-8. He is projected as a 133 lber.

Pat Downey originally from Maryland is one of the nation's best young prospects. Downey was a two-time state champion for North County, Maryland, before he busted loose on the national scene as a senior with a nearly unprecedented run.

Downey won NHSCA Senior Nationals and Fargo Junior Freestyle at 171lbs in 2011. In 2012 he took crowns at Fila JR's, and the Fila JR World Team Trials at 84kg (185lbs). In the process he defeated Logan Storley, a true freshman All-American at Minnesota, 1-0, 0-2, 3-2, to claim the title.

In 2012 he was seconds away from earning Gold at the JR Freestyle Championships in Pattaya, Thailand, and received Silver. He has spent the past 2 years at the Olympic Training Center.

Joey Dedick from Wisconsin won the state title at 195 lbs. He went 46-0 his senior year and finished third at the state meet his junior year.

Destin McCauley from Minnesota also spent time at the Olympic Training Center and was one of the top high school wrestlers in 2011. Like OTC teammate Pat Downey, McCauley wrestled in the FILA Junior World Team Trials.

McCauley, a five-time Minnesota state champion, came through a loaded bracket to win the title at 66 kilos. He shut out 2009 Junior National freestyle champion Josh Dziewa, an Iowa Hawkeye, in the quarterfinals. In the semifinals he defeated another Fargo freestyle champion, Jason Tsirtsis, 2-0, 4-2, to advance to the finals. In the finals McCauley earned a fall in the first period over Hunter Stieber, a true freshman All-American at Ohio State. One of McCauley's coaches at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, Bill Zadick, was pleased with McCauley's performance.

"He went out and wrestled with some fire," said Zadick. "He wrestled an exciting style. It was fun for me as a coach to sit in the chair and watch him perform. I think it was also fun for the fans to see that brand of wrestling."

In high school his record was 286-7 with 197 pins. He won his last 98 matches. In 7th grade he became the youngest state champion in Minnesota high school history.