Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

Destin McCauley? Where is he?

To my understanding and unless they changed the rule this year, your Division 1 clock does not start (compete 4 seasons in 5 years) until you enroll FULL-TIME into an educational institution.

It is different for D2, as your do not have a running clock, rather you have 10 semesters of FULL-TIME eligibility. So if you want to take a semester off in D2, your clock stops.

This is correct. McCauley is entering as if he were any other freshman.

But (until they rewrite the book this summer) you have one year after graduating from HS TO enroll in D1.

The usual exceptions for Military, Missionary or Foreign Service don't seem to apply. However, there is an exception for National/International Competition.

Thats a pretty great incoming class.

If Destin McCauly won states as a 7th grader and is a 5 time state champ, which year after 7th did he lose? Probably 8th?

Lost sophomore year to Robert Fischer from Bloomington. It was no fluke either. Lost to him 3 of 4 matches that year. That kid just had his number.

Ames would have been a better choice for DM

I don't know how you can say that,...workout partners?

Not even considering that a few people there are already clamoring for a coaching change.

No one is advocating for a coaching change in Ames - KJ just got an extension

ISU finished 11th in team scoring - 3AA's and 2nd at big 5

We'll be fine with KJ

Tony, I'm not advocating it either, but it has been discussed by others. I hope KJ gets it going i Ames.I just cant imagine the environment being better there than in Lincoln with what Manning and staff have been able to do with guys like Burroughs, and even the Paulsens a few years ago. Also, the brand spanking new multi million dollar facilities, and also the Nebraska Wrestling Training Center. There is a reason guys like Montel Marion, and Max Askren are spending time there.

https://www.facebook.com/NebraskaWrestl ... tos_stream

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =205315979

To my understanding and unless they changed the rule this year, your Division 1 clock does not start (compete 4 seasons in 5 years) until you enroll FULL-TIME into an educational institution.

It is different for D2, as your do not have a running clock, rather you have 10 semesters of FULL-TIME eligibility. So if you want to take a semester off in D2, your clock stops.

This is correct. McCauley is entering as if he were any other freshman.

But (until they rewrite the book this summer) you have one year after graduating from HS TO enroll in D1.

The usual exceptions for Military, Missionary or Foreign Service don't seem to apply. However, there is an exception for National/International Competition.

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

I don't have my book with me but keep looking. You're in the right area (assuming you have a recent manual- last 2-3 years, I think) but not quite. The 21 year rule preceded the deferred enrollment year rule.

I'm not sure what the issue is. The 21 yr old's rule is intended to keep athletes from actively training and participating in the sport they intend to participate in when entering college. The simplest example would be a basketballer playing with an AAU team until he enters a college. If he enters a D1 as he turns 24 he will have lost three of his five year and have two remaining in basketball, but five in any other sport. The rule is a subset of the enrollment rule. I also have no idea if the various OTC's and their athletes are exempt from this rule. Most OTC wrestlers going D1 are in school usually by around their 21st anyway. Coincidence or necessity?

I don't have my book with me but keep looking. You're in the right area (assuming you have a recent manual- last 2-3 years, I think) but not quite. The 21 year rule preceded the deferred enrollment year rule.

I'm not sure what the issue is. The 21 yr old's rule is intended to keep athletes from actively training and participating in the sport they intend to participate in when entering college. The simplest example would be a basketballer playing with an AAU team until he enters a college. If he enters a D1 as he turns 24 he will have lost three of his five year and have two remaining in basketball, but five in any other sport. The rule is a subset of the enrollment rule. I also have no idea if the various OTC's and their athletes are exempt from this rule. Most OTC wrestlers going D1 are in school usually by around their 21st anyway. Coincidence or necessity?

Oops, the years after 21 count against competition years. He would have two years of eligibility in basketball, in which to compete for one (i.e. he still could redshirt). He would still have five to compete in four in other sports.

Gimp:

I remember we had a long discussion about this before. You can grayshirt for one year, and you can get a second year if you make the finals of the world team trials in year 2 (it's not clear if you need to be in the last 8 or the actual finals in the rulebook). Since McCauley has taken 2 years, he only gets 4 years left -- but can he actually compete in all 4, or does he only get to compete in 3 of those 4?

The best point against my argument is the list of NCAA Champs that succeed at the international level, so I agree there is definitely a correlation of success between the two. But those guys are training year round freestyle and the cream rises to the top in a similar fashion as college although there are usually some differences in the pecking order. However, when college guys are training primarily folkstyle and dabble in freestyle in the off season, you often get some contradictory results between the two. Some guys are more a natural fit then others for free and will be better early on. Take that one step further, is it really fair to compare a guy like McCauley, that has done nothing but freestyle for two years with Stieber who has wrestled college for two years? I just can't put too much into that type of result.

Logan Steiber was wrestling folkstyle year round and went on to place 2nd in the world against guys who have never wrestled anything but freestyle. When you're good...you're good.

Logan Stieber was wrestling folkstyle year round and went on to place 4th at the US Open, losing the 3rd place match to a guy that he is clearly better then in folk.

Logan Stieber was wrestling folkstyle year round and went on to place 4th at the US Open, losing the 3rd place match to a guy that he is clearly better then in folk.

You mean Graff? If you would, would please direct me to any of their previous encounters so that I too might arrive at your same conclusion that he is clearly better? I understand the NCAA placement results this past season, but this match at the Open is the first time they have ever met...and Graff wins.

I'm not here saying Graff is the Next Coming nor that his recent win over Stieber is an omen of next year's NCAA results. What I am saying is that you should get off Stieber's sack. He's never beaten Graff.

And if your argument is that "A beats B and B beats C so therefore clearly, A is better than C," then I fear your rationale needs some work in the realm of wrestling. Stieber's great, but give Graff his due.

Seriously, you're questioning my rational? Stieber goes undefeated, beats Ramos multiple times who beat Graff multiple time, pinned Conaway who Graff lost to and won his second national championship and your trying to tell me that it isn't reasonable to consider Stieber the better wrestler?

Seriously, you're questioning my rational? Stieber goes undefeated, beats Ramos multiple times who beat Graff multiple time, pinned Conaway who Graff lost to and won his second national championship and your trying to tell me that it isn't reasonable to consider Stieber the better wrestler?

Seriously? In their only meeting ever, Graff wins. And you proclaim Stieber to be the clearly better wrestler - in a style in which they never met. Who are you - Mrs. Stieber? In your world evidently, A>B, B>C, so therefore clearly, A>C. They never previously met - now they have. I don't think "clearly" has a place in this conversation.

And Graff has previoulsy beaten Ramos, so it's not like Graff is anybody's biatch. Just get off Stieber's sack and you will be on stable ground.

Do you think Conaway is a better wrestler than Graff?

Not sure if you are asking that question of me, but if so, I can say that Conaway deserves a big pat on the back for beating Graff in the dual. And after seeing Conaway in action at the end of the season I was favorably impressed. That said, I suspect Graff wins that meeting eight out of ten times.

And Graff has previoulsy beaten Ramos, so it's not like Graff is anybody's biatch. Just get off Stieber's sack and you will be on stable ground.

simple question, do you think graff would have beaten stieber in folk this year?

simple question, do you think graff would have beaten stieber in folk this year?

Simple answer - probably not. But so what? But we don't know that for sure - it's all speculation because that match didn't happen.

What I do know is that Graff had two incredibly tight matches with Ramos and in turn, Ramos had a couple of incredibly tight matches with Stieber. I don't think there is much that is "clear" here other than Stieber has proved that he repeatedly found ways to win over a tough Ramos. And now since Graff beat Stieber in freestyle, there is going to be a lot of chatter about Graff-Stieber next year when/if they meet.

Gimp:

I remember we had a long discussion about this before. You can grayshirt for one year, and you can get a second year if you make the finals of the world team trials in year 2 (it's not clear if you need to be in the last 8 or the actual finals in the rulebook). Since McCauley has taken 2 years, he only gets 4 years left -- but can he actually compete in all 4, or does he only get to compete in 3 of those 4?

The whole thing is murky to me but I believe if he competed in the second year it essentially counts as having used his redshirt year.