NJDan

How come no one is talking about the cadet worlds

1 minute ago, Mphillips said:

I am. No one else was talking about it and I notice you didn't start a thread.  I have no issues with the Iran thread. Wrestling is wrestling.

I have no issues with it either. I just assumed it was about Iran's team.

3 minutes ago, window12 said:

interesting Final match between  USA and Iran coming up at 110 Kg

Not so much, man Iran just DOMINATES that the underhook and push to the edge of the mat.  Quick tech for Iran, that kid was impressive.

24 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Not so much, man Iran just DOMINATES that the underhook and push to the edge of the mat.  Quick tech for Iran, that kid was impressive.

Iran overall has had a pretty poor tournament. But Masoumi at 110kg has been their beacon of light, he is the son of a world medalist, but he looks to have a higher ceiling than his dad.

America has been very good overall at the tournament.

basset tomorrow at 45kg will probably smash kill destroy...

now...

what he does in the men's style later this weekend interests me more... he is a hand fighting killer which is almost all you have to be to succeed in greco here in the US, but, the rest of the world actually understands the best style...

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Just watched Bassett's semi... great job by him.

But why do we allow one move to be worth 10+ points in freestyle?

Hasn't always been the case.  That rule changed sorta recently - within the last 20 or so years. I wouldn't disagree with an argument  to change back.  Laces are pretty cool, but not cool enough to generate a tech fall.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Hasn't always been the case.  That rule changed sorta recently - within the last 20 or so years. I wouldn't disagree with an argument  to change back.  Laces are pretty cool, but not cool enough to generate a tech fall.

The rule has been has been back and forth, and this seems to be the best rule set since I have been watching.

Don't let yourself be put in one if you don't want to be teched.

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Why was Mitch Clark able to score 13 or so points on  Vertus Jones with one move in NCAA finals?

I agree, that probably should be considered one move and only get 3 NF (at the time).  I know that happens occasionally, but I think the fact that you had to go back 23 years for that example is probably proof that it’s not all that common at least in D1.

Meanwhile a TD to 4 laces seems to be fairly common in FS.

50 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I agree, that probably should be considered one move and only get 3 NF (at the time).  I know that happens occasionally, but I think the fact that you had to go back 23 years for that example is probably proof that it’s not all that common at least in D1.

Meanwhile a TD to 4 laces seems to be fairly common in FS.

It is the most famous example.  It was in the finals. It was also first period.  How about Derek Moore 2007?

Jesse Jantzen did ok hitting the same move over and over and over.  Rarely letting go of the half.

Edited by AHamilton

8 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Iran overall has had a pretty poor tournament. But Masoumi at 110kg has been their beacon of light, he is the son of a world medalist, but he looks to have a higher ceiling than his dad.

America has been very good overall at the tournament.

I wouldn't say Iran had a poor tournament although I understand that their fans might be a bit disappointed. At the end of the 1st day they have a Gold a bronze and a 5th place finish for the 1st 5 weights.  For the 2nd 5 weights they have 2 in the Finals and 1 in Reparcharge.   Their other two are out.  The USA and Russia are battling for 1st although India may still be able to break in there - regardless of where they end up in the team standings India had a truly outstanding performance -   on the 1st day they ended up with 2 Golds, 1 Bronze and a 5th place for the 1st 5 weights. Tomorrow they have all 5 guys competing with 1 in the Finals 2 in Bronze medal matches and 2 in Repacharge.  Both the USA and Russia have 3 guys competing tomorrow - Russia with 3 Finalists and the USA with 1 Finalist and 2 in Bronze medal matches.  Russia will end up with 7 medals, the US with from 5 to 7, India from 4 to 8, and Iran from 4 to 5.   India really made a statement about where their men's FS program is headed.

8 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I wouldn't say Iran had a poor tournament although I understand that their fans might be a bit disappointed. At the end of the 1st day they have a Gold a bronze and a 5th place finish for the 1st 5 weights.  For the 2nd 5 weights they have 2 in the Finals and 1 in Reparcharge.   Their other two are out.  The USA and Russia are battling for 1st although India may still be able to break in there - regardless of where they end up in the team standings India had a truly outstanding performance -   on the 1st day they ended up with 2 Golds, 1 Bronze and a 5th place for the 1st 5 weights. Tomorrow they have all 5 guys competing with 1 in the Finals 2 in Bronze medal matches and 2 in Repacharge.  Both the USA and Russia have 3 guys competing tomorrow - Russia with 3 Finalists and the USA with 1 Finalist and 2 in Bronze medal matches.  Russia will end up with 7 medals, the US with from 5 to 7, India from 4 to 8, and Iran from 4 to 5.   India really made a statement about where their men's FS program is headed.

Best Iran can do after today is 3 golds and 2 bronze. Which might be alright, but when you see that last year they put 6 wrestlers into the final compared to this year, then this year is disappointing in comparison.

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Just watched Bassett's semi... great job by him.

But why do we allow one move to be worth 10+ points in freestyle?

To follow on that, why wasn't the action stopped as out of bounds on that lace.  Not complaining, just curious why they let that continue?

15 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I'm fine with the same lace leading to rapid techs, but I would like to see that a change of direction is required for more than 2 points. On the other hand, quick techs balance out against long reviews to keep overall tourney time in line.

To follow on that, why wasn't the action stopped as out of bounds on that lace.  Not complaining, just curious why they let that continue?

The rules for out of bounds are different in par terre. They are usually looking to see if the head and chest of the defending wrestler are in bounds. Since they were, wrestling continued.