MizzouGrad

Olympics on the verge of being cancelled

3 hours ago, headache said:

Past Olympics in location with hot climates have been delayed until fall - Mexico City (1968) Oct. 12 - 27; Seoul (1988) - Sept. 17 - Oct. 2; Tokyo (1964) - Oct. 10 - 24. Apparently, NBC didn't want to lose $$$ moving it to the fall, so the heat and humidity (predicted to be very high) are going to be a huge problem.

I'd be surprised if this isn't a disaster.

Atlant Olympics took place in the middle of the summer, certainly a lot of heat and humidity in Georgia. I remember there being stories about African athletes that had more trouble with the indoor AC being blasted than the outdoor heat

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31860773/new-tokyo-virus-cases-2000-day-olympics-open

Tokyo hit another six-month high in new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, one day before the Olympics begin, as worries grow of a worsening of infections during the Games.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31859251/olympic-opening-ceremony-director-kentaro-kobayashi-fired-holocaust-joke-made-1998-comedy-act

7 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31860773/new-tokyo-virus-cases-2000-day-olympics-open

Tokyo hit another six-month high in new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, one day before the Olympics begin, as worries grow of a worsening of infections during the Games.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31859251/olympic-opening-ceremony-director-kentaro-kobayashi-fired-holocaust-joke-made-1998-comedy-act

Olympics have already started.

6 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Guinea just pulled out of the Olympics. That's only 5 athletes but its still noteworthy that an entire country has decided not to go at this point.

It's about as unnoteworthy as Burkina Faso pulling out, maybe less so.

33 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

They're back in as of 2 hours ago. 

The entire Madagascar contingent were delayed by 2 hours due to Traffic jam before getting to the airport but eventually decided to get on their way without further ado.

From the link in that NYT article:

A slight majority of Americans (52%) agree that the Summer Olympics in Tokyo should go ahead, even if the COVID-19 pandemic isn’t over yet.

Those in Japan, the host nation, are much less likely to agree, with only 22% saying the Summer Olympics in Tokyo should go ahead.

I will watch and enjoy them, and it doesn't matter much what Americans think, but only 22% approval in Japan is pretty damn dismal. 

Guinea just pulled out of the Olympics. That's only 5 athletes but its still noteworthy that an entire country has decided not to go at this point.
Devastated thay Guinea pulled out. It just won't be the same without them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Set it up like this:

1)  If you are scared to come and compete at Tokyo, stay at home.  

2)  If you want to come and compete, compete.

3)  If you are scared of watching from the stands, stay at home.

4)  If you want to watch from the stands, come on in.

5)  If you want to wear a mask at the venue, wear one.

5)  If you want everyone to wear a mask, stay at home.  

8 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

Set it up like this:

Nope.  Wrong.

25 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Why? Are you afraid of a virus with a 99% survival rate?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think.  The games are in Japan, not Ohio (nor in Florida, thank God).  We don't have a say.  I respect the right of the host nation to decide their own policy.

11 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Set it up like this:

You are missing the fundamental question, what do the Japanese people want? The majority want the Olympics cancelled. But I guess their opinion and sovereignty doesn't matter to you right? 

51 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

You are missing the fundamental question, what do the Japanese people want? The majority want the Olympics cancelled. But I guess their opinion and sovereignty doesn't matter to you right? 

Their nation signed some contracts.  I guess rules and laws don't matter much to you anyway.  You are more driven by "feelings."

4 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Their nation signed some contracts.  I guess rules and laws don't matter much to you anyway.  You are more driven by "feelings."

Ha - It's called force majeure. Clearly you aren't a lawyer or deal in contract law. Go back to the hole from whence you came. 

Just now, AHamilton said:

I believe there is a history of nations signing contracts with others and then going back on them. I'll defer to the Secretary.