gowrestle

Basset Promotion

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

I am not sure I follow. Does PA not allow any recruiting of athletes? Is it a violation for any student to transfer with "athletic intent'? 

Pretty much. Not totally familiar but other have been ruled ineligible for that reason.

2 hours ago, thestuff142 said:

Not a fan of social media push this early, but I understand why they are doing it for his future.  Already tired of seeing his stuff on twitter popping up on my feed every day to be honest.  When you play the recruitment game...and it's right out there publicly for all to see...you are playing with fire.   Wish there were more states that actually enforced rules and had punishments that seriously make people think twice about recruiting...

Who doesn't enjoy hearing motivational and life advice from a 15-year old on twitter?

I believe most state organizations have a policy prohibiting those who are ineligible in one state to transfer for the purposes of gaining eligibility. In other words, if you are declared ineligible somewhere due to conduct or a violation, you can’t simply move and be able to compete. 

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

If they're suspended for 3 years why don't they just go to another state or something?

Do they live and work in another state?  Do they have other children or family?  Does the kid actually intend to get a college education?

30 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

I believe most state organizations have a policy prohibiting those who are ineligible in one state to transfer for the purposes of gaining eligibility. In other words, if you are declared ineligible somewhere due to conduct or a violation, you can’t simply move and be able to compete. 

What about national preps or an independent school. 

2 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

I read this as the school is ineligible, not the kids (but I also don't know what I'm talking about). Could they transfer to the local public school and still be eligible?

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I read this as the school is ineligible, not the kids (but I also don't know what I'm talking about). Could they transfer to the local public school and still be eligible?

I believe I posted this elsewhere but if the kids transferred again it would obviously be for athletic reasons as they could take classes where they are. And I'm not sure how they deal with a second transfer. Plus part of the reason the school/coach was suspended was because those kids transferred in in the first place.

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I believe I posted this elsewhere but if the kids transferred again it would obviously be for athletic reasons as they could take classes where they are. And I'm not sure how they deal with a second transfer. Plus part of the reason the school/coach was suspended was because those kids transferred in in the first place.

I'd imagine they'd look more kindly on a private-to-public transfer, because you could always say you need to start saving on private HS tuition to afford college. I think the problem here is their local public school is the one they recently left due to issues with the coach. The better wrestlers may be able to transfer to a national prep type of school (Blair, Wyoming), not sure what options there are for the rest. 

One way or another, I hope these kids get to wrestle somewhere in high school.

31 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I'd imagine they'd look more kindly on a private-to-public transfer, because you could always say you need to start saving on private HS tuition to afford college. I think the problem here is their local public school is the one they recently left due to issues with the coach. The better wrestlers may be able to transfer to a national prep type of school (Blair, Wyoming), not sure what options there are for the rest. 

One way or another, I hope these kids get to wrestle somewhere in high school.

I believe they can wrestle, just not in the postseason.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Gimp if the family is paying to go to the Catholic school wouldn't they have a right to stop paying and take advantage of their free local public school - how could that choice be framed as transferring for athletic reasons?

16 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Gimp if the family is paying to go to the Catholic school wouldn't they have a right to stop paying and take advantage of their free local public school - how could that choice be framed as transferring for athletic reasons?

It's pretty obvious. If they claimed they went to the Catholic school for academic reasons why would they go back? They knew how much it cost.

43 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

seems pretty obvious

High school athletes should be free to transfer to schools of their choice.  A school with a crap program (bad coach and team culture as judged by the family of the athlete) should not have exclusive rights.  This creates a disincentive for the schools to develop better programs and improve the coaches and culture.   Quality magnet programs of all sorts are good for the sport and the individual development of the wrestlers. The PIAA is run by blockheads.

1. Bishop McCort has been suspended before, hence the long suspension this time. McCort has only had wresting for maybe 10 years, if that. 

2. They were suspended by District 6. Tiny district (# of school-wise) with most schools probably pissed about McCort. This will most likely be appealed to PIAA. 

3. The head coach at Forest Hills, where these guys mainly came from, is former Penn St AA Jake Strayer. He is highly respected in the wrestling/coaching community across PA. Has not deserved the negativity thrown this way for a group of people attempting a coup in his program. 

When you belong to the PIAA, is doesn't matter whether the school is private or public.

The NCAA has the same rules for Cornell as they do for PSU.

If they move to a public school, they will have to sitout for a year but it's better than 3 years.

21 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

It's pretty obvious. If they claimed they went to the Catholic school for academic reasons why would they go back? They knew how much it cost.

Many transfers are obviously for athletic purposes, but state associations only go after a select few of them.

I don't understand this rule at all. First, many athletes who transfer to private or catholic schools with superior athletic programs do so with "athletic intent." That's how these schools build superior programs. If this rule were truly enforced, all of these schools would be suspended. Second, why would PA want to discourage it. I get that transferee schools might be upset, but shouldn't a kid be allowed to go where he wants?  You can say it's unfair to transferee schools, but, if that's the case, all private schools are unfair.

Edited by NJDan

13 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't understand this rule at all. First, many athletes who transfer to private or catholic schools with superior athletic programs do so with "athletic intent." That's how these schools build superior programs. If this rule were truly enforced, all of these schools would be suspended. Second, why would PA want to discourage it. I get that transferee schools might be upset, but shouldn't a kid be allowed to go where he wants?  You can say it's unfair to transferee schools, but, if that's the case, all private schools are unfair.

I think it's only "enforced" if someone complains about it.  And honestly, it doesn't sound like there was an official complaint until this year when "a sophomore" transferred from Forest Hills to McCort.  No clue who that is, but it's clearly not referring to the out of state transfers and I believe the Bassetts, Gibsons etc all either transferred last year or did it in middle school.  This article specifically says there were no complaints filed about the other transfers - https://www.tribdem.com/sports/area-wrestling-coaches-agree-with-district-6-punishment-for-bishop-mccort/article_28f238d6-400c-11ec-a3f6-9fad69e7de35.html 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think it's only "enforced" if someone complains about it.  And honestly, it doesn't sound like there was an official complaint until this year when "a sophomore" transferred from Forest Hills to McCort.  No clue who that is, but it's clearly not referring to the out of state transfers and I believe the Bassetts, Gibsons etc all either transferred last year or did it in middle school.  This article specifically says there were no complaints filed about the other transfers - https://www.tribdem.com/sports/area-wrestling-coaches-agree-with-district-6-punishment-for-bishop-mccort/article_28f238d6-400c-11ec-a3f6-9fad69e7de35.html 

I'm sure gimp will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that transfer they reference is the older Gibson brother.