VakAttack

Nick Suriano in the transfer portal

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Lol relax.  Did you see the part where I said “may have been a joke.”  This is an internet message board, speculation is what it’s for.

Probably (or like I said might’ve been a joke).  But I think it’s still technically possible if he had tested positive with enough time to come back for trials and then it took several days for Suriano to test positive or something.

Regardless, given Suriano’s history, if it’s not ASU (and it still might be) it seems plausible that something negative happened.  Although if he’s still training there now it may not have been that bad (and getting covid from someone shouldn’t really be considered bad IMO unless maybe the person was being careless).  

Something negative happened to Nick Suriano so he is taking his ball and leaving?

/intensely clutching my pearls

But in all seriousness, if he actually does boomerang it's probably because he saw what NLWC did for Gilman and realizes after some personal growth & exploration that "ehhh, maybe it wasn't so bad in Happy Valley after all."

13 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

A. Did he? Not sure.

2. I believe that's more about given league rules (or again was by old rules)

Pretty sure someone already posted in this forum that he graduated from Rutgers online while in Arizona.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Pretty sure someone already posted in this forum that he graduated from Rutgers online while in Arizona.

Yes that was my understanding as well but who knows.

On another note, has there ever been a notable transfer (either wrestling or otherwise) to transfer to a different D1 school and then back? I can't think of any

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Something negative happened to Nick Suriano so he is taking his ball and leaving?

/intensely clutching my pearls

But in all seriousness, if he actually does boomerang it's probably because he saw what NLWC did for Gilman and realizes after some personal growth & exploration that "ehhh, maybe it wasn't so bad in Happy Valley after all."

If it is true that Suriano left Rutgers because the club brought in  another 57 kg to train (NATO?), I cannot imagine that he would want to be anywhere near where Gilman was training.

6 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

If it is true that Suriano left Rutgers because the club brought in  another 57 kg to train (NATO?), I cannot imagine that he would want to be anywhere near where Gilman was training.

I think the theory on BWI was that with Gilman having the spot guaranteed for Worlds, Suriano will focus on 61kg and they can work together to take down Spencer.   Then Suriano probably goes on his next adventure after NCAA's if he wants to go back to 57.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think the theory on BWI was that with Gilman having the spot guaranteed for Worlds, Suriano will focus on 61kg and they can work together to take down Spencer.   Then Suriano probably goes on his next adventure after NCAA's if he wants to go back to 57.

I mean... I guess that makes sense if you make it make sense in your own head... which I am able to do.

5 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Which is hilarious because if you're trying to be a world champ why are you afraid of someone like 11th on the real ladder...

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I mean... I guess that makes sense if you make it make sense in your own head... which I am able to do.

I mean even Willie says there's smoke to the Suriano to PSU rumor.   Could another possibility be that he doesn't wrestle all the way through 2024 and transitions to MMA (or something else) sooner?

Edited by 1032004

28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I mean even Willie says there's smoke to the Suriano to PSU rumor.   Could another possibility be that he doesn't wrestle all the way through 2024 and transitions to MMA (or something else) sooner?

Oh don't get me wrong... I'm not asking for it to or to not make sense.  I think it would be freaking awesome to see him there and at 125.  A full-on healthy Suriano against a Lee with no ACLs?  Imagine that as the final match of 2022 NCAAs with the team title on the line?  Yes please.

I think Penn State will need a little bit more than that to catch them.  Dean isn't an upgrade (my opinion) over Beard.  Kerk hasn't proven he can remain healthy an entire season.  What is the go-to at 149/157?  Will Facundo be an instant contender?

I think Lee at 149 is the best option for Penn State, with Bartlett at 141.  I also think if SVN is their best option at 157 they need to go with it.  I do think Facundo is instantly AA threat.

125-Lee-V-Suriano
133-Desanto-V-RBY
141-Eierman-V-Bartlett
149-Murin-V-Lee
157-Young-V-Lee/SVN
165-Marinelli-V-Facundo
174-Kemererererer-V-Starocci
184-Brands/Assad-V-Brooks
197-Warner-V-Deanlite/Beard
285-Cassman-V-Kerk

If both of those squads put out a healthy lineup at NCAAs(sans Lee's knees), then it's going to be fireworks.

Both sides will be looking to maximize points at every weight.  Suriano is Penn State's BEST option at 125 right now.  Cael knows that.  He'll make it happen if it is possible.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Oh don't get me wrong... I'm not asking for it to or to not make sense.  I think it would be freaking awesome to see him there and at 125.  A full-on healthy Suriano against a Lee with no ACLs?  Imagine that as the final match of 2022 NCAAs with the team title on the line?  Yes please.

I think Penn State will need a little bit more than that to catch them.  Dean isn't an upgrade (my opinion) over Beard.  Kerk hasn't proven he can remain healthy an entire season.  What is the go-to at 149/157?  Will Facundo be an instant contender?

I think Lee at 149 is the best option for Penn State, with Bartlett at 141.  I also think if SVN is their best option at 157 they need to go with it.  I do think Facundo is instantly AA threat.

125-Lee-V-Suriano
133-Desanto-V-RBY
141-Eierman-V-Bartlett
149-Murin-V-Lee
157-Young-V-Lee/SVN
165-Marinelli-V-Facundo
174-Kemererererer-V-Starocci
184-Brands/Assad-V-Brooks
197-Warner-V-Deanlite/Beard
285-Cassman-V-Kerk

If both of those squads put out a healthy lineup at NCAAs(sans Lee's knees), then it's going to be fireworks.

Both sides will be looking to maximize points at every weight.  Suriano is Penn State's BEST option at 125 right now.  Cael knows that.  He'll make it happen if it is possible.

Dean is an ncaa finalist and beard took 7th as a 15 seed as a super freshman , so as of now Dean is an upgrade..and idk what you mean by Kerk “ hasn’t proven he can stay healthy” the guy had staph that went to his bloodstream not some soft tissue injury or a broken bone and he’s now like 255 260 with a win over Parris in free this summer …and Bartlett didn’t qualify for ncaas because he lost an OT match to Yayha Thomas who went on to take 3rd, he also lost a one point match to Sasso ….without suriano penn state is going to score more points then last year and if you throw suriano into the mix the team race is over 

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Dean is an ncaa finalist and beard took 7th as a 15 seed as a super freshman , so as of now Dean is an upgrade..and idk what you mean by Kerk “ hasn’t proven he can stay healthy” the guy had staph that went to his bloodstream not some soft tissue injury or a broken bone and he’s now like 255 260 with a win over Parris in free this summer …and Bartlett didn’t qualify for ncaas because he lost an OT match to Yayha Thomas who went on to take 3rd, he also lost a one point match to Sasso ….without suriano penn state is going to score more points then last year and if you throw suriano into the mix the team race is over 

Deanlite was a finalist at 184 with the tournament of his life.  I am as big a Deanlite fan as the next guy.  If you think otherwise, that is on you.

Kerk hasn't had a season without a serious setback since when?  Ever?  Comparing free to folk when the reason he lost folk was because he got ridden like a show pony is reaching.

Bartlett is too damn small for 149.  Period.  He just is.  Hell he looked small for 65kg at Juniors.

As if right now they could also score less in five weight classes.  125, 133, 141, 174, and 184 are all weights they could score less.

Why doesn’t someone with the ability just search the directory for ASU students and see if he’s enrolled? It would at least eliminate 1st semester eligibility....or did I just ruin the party? 

Edited by Idaho

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Deanlite was a finalist at 184 with the tournament of his life.  I am as big a Deanlite fan as the next guy.  If you think otherwise, that is on you.

NCAA finalist as a sophomore...

He basically has 1 bad loss in his first 2 seasons (Wisman of Mizzou), the rest were all to AA's.   42% of his losses are to NCAA champions, 2 of which he also beat.   Here are the rest of his losses:

-Nickal

-Foster x2 (and Dean has also beaten him twice)

-Martin x2 (who Dean also of course beat in the semis)

-Zavatsky x2 (who Dean majored in their last meeting) - 2x AA

-Ness - 2x AA

-Preisch - AA

-Venz - AA

-Deprez (who Dean has also beaten) - AA

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

NCAA finalist as a sophomore...

He basically has 1 bad loss in his first 2 seasons (Wisman of Mizzou), the rest were all to AA's.   42% of his losses are to NCAA champions, 2 of which he also beat.   Here are the rest of his losses:

-Nickal

-Foster x2 (and Dean has also beaten him twice)

-Martin x2 (who Dean also of course beat in the semis)

-Zavatsky x2 (who Dean majored in their last meeting) - 2x AA

-Ness - 2x AA

-Preisch - AA

-Venz - AA

-Deprez (who Dean has also beaten) - AA

If he were still at 184 I would lean your way.  However, I have to lean towards nhs's way of thinking and I am also a HUGE fan of the Deans.  I just am not sold that his build is good for 197.  If Ferrari stays at 197 you will have him, Bonaccorsi Warner, Elam, Woodley and Buchanan all returning as AA's. Then add in AA's in Brucki and Darmstadt that should be back and add in guys like Norfleet, Schultz, Caffey and Sloan, who are all high end threats.  

So, with Beard placing 7th amongst most of that group, I am NOT sold that Dean is considerably more likely to place higher in this year's field!

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

If he were still at 184 I would lean your way.  However, I have to lean towards nhs's way of thinking and I am also a HUGE fan of the Deans.  I just am not sold that his build is good for 197.  If Ferrari stays at 197 you will have him, Bonaccorsi Warner, Elam, Woodley and Buchanan all returning as AA's. Then add in AA's in Brucki and Darmstadt that should be back and add in guys like Norfleet, Schultz, Caffey and Sloan, who are all high end threats.  

So, with Beard placing 7th amongst most of that group, I am NOT sold that Dean is considerably more likely to place higher in this year's field!

Don’t forget about Braxton Amos. 

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

The man is an ncaa finalist and has wins over 2 different ncaa champs and now he’s at penn state with the best big man coaches and practice partners in the country but cam Caffey and tanner Sloan are going to pass him up? Jake Woodley ? Warner the guy who only AAed because a  ncaa ref turned into Stevie wonder for the entire minute Warner was stuck ? Dean would be favored against anyone on this list except Ferrari, beard would be favored against maybe 4 of these guys 

Are we just going to ignore that his results in freestyle have been up and down? 

He beats Jackson one day to go and lose to Foca the next.  Is Foca still going to be 174?

Temper expectations.  He isn't his bigger(lighter?) brother and Gabe would have had a helluva time with this 197lb field.

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Are we just going to ignore that his results in freestyle have been up and down? 

He beats Jackson one day to go and lose to Foca the next.  Is Foca still going to be 174?

Temper expectations.  He isn't his bigger(lighter?) brother and Gabe would have had a helluva time with this 197lb field.

Keep in mind that,  in freestyle, Foca also lost 2 out of 3 to a guy who was likely Iowa's 3rd stringer.