Sign in to follow this  
tec87

James English Granted 6th Year

According to the PSU facebook page and an article on their site, James English has been granted a 6th year of eligibility by the ncaa and will return next year. It's unfortunate that the Alton's are still there though.

I'd like to see A. Alton drop to 141, D. Alton drop to 149, and English move back to 157. This would solve the 141 problem in the PSU lineup. Maybe we see Nico take his RS and have Conaway and Gulibon take over the 125/133 spots.

No guarantee English could beat Vollrath at 157. Besides, there is no way we ever see an Alton at 141 ever again.

I have a feeling that there may be more to this story. Guess time will tell but I would not be shocked if James English is the starter at 149 next season.

According to Trackwrestling Dylan Alton will be competing at 66kg / 145.5lbs.

I definitely think Andrew and Dylan can cut to 141 and 149 respectively. Either Dylan / English can work things out at 149 or Vollrath / English can work things out at 157.

I wouldn't be surprised if Megaludis who is competing this weekend at 55kg takes his redshirt while having a busy open season and tour with the team to help Gulibon / Conaway.

125 - Gulibon / Megaludis RS

133 - Conaway / Martellotti

141 - A. Alton / Frey / Beitz (Retherford RS)

149 - D. Alton / Frey / English

157 - Vollrath / English

165 - Taylor

174 - Brown

184 - Ruth

197 - McIntosh

285 - Lawson / Gingrisch

I dont see Volrath or English as an AA at a congested 157,hell Alton couldnt even do it this year. I think they should take their chances with Frey or Beitz at 141. Retherford could get down to 133 and do well,if he does RS,Conoway is up for ir again.

Guli/Mega

Zain/Conaway

Frey/Beitz

AA,arent those initials ironic????

DA

yep

yep

yep

yep

I dont see Volrath or English as an AA at a congested 157,hell Alton couldnt even do it this year. I think they should take their chances with Frey or Beitz at 141. Retherford could get down to 133 and do well,if he does RS,Conoway is up for ir again.

Guli/Mega

Zain/Conaway

Frey/Beitz

DA

yep

yep

yep

yep

The Zilverberg loss at the B1G tourney directly cost Alton his 2nd AA finish. I know he lost to Demas as well but I don't think that loss by itself would have hurt him nearly as much. The Zilverberg loss inevitably cost him a higher seed and being seeded 8th he drew the #1 SEED Welch in the Quarters and then Green in the R12. You still have to wrestle the matches so I can't say with 100% certainty he would still AA but I think his road would have been considerably more manageable.

Guli/Mega

Zain/Conaway

Frey/Beitz

DA

yep

yep

yep

yep

Vollrath had a win this year over 3rd place finisher Dierenger at 157 this year. I think he can compete for AA.

Andrew Alton gassed consistently making 149...do you really think him cutting an additional 8 pounds all year is going to alleviate that problem? He might pass out in any match that goes beyond the first period.
I hear you. I'm basing things on the my interpretation that Dylan is slightly larger than Andrew and Dylan is competing this weekend at 145.5. I realize this is a one time drop. No way would Kellen Russell be able to compete a season at 133 yet he competed at 133 at the trials. I get that. However, I saw A. Alton not be able to finish his brute force moves like his cement mixer against his opponents at 149 like he did at 141. They both looked as though they were carrying around a slightly higher body fat index (obviously relative to their elite competitors and not the general public). For me this is a gut feeling, nothing more. Just something I noticed watching A. Alton in particular and now thinking that if D. Alton made the cut to 145.5 they may have already decided to go small rather than big in the off season. It seems to be a better option for the team as well.

How does the tuition get paid for these young men who spend 5, 6, 7 years in college?
One thing is you pay per college credit. I'm not sure how things get spread over a fifth year, but schollies definitely take into consideration a RS season (except for the Ivy league which doesn't recognize redshirting).

Tiger's right: Altons will next see 141 lb when they get old and atrophy sets in.

Andrew's weight/conditioning/other has been beaten to death, no sense re-hashing. The entire reason Andrew started as a true FR was because Dylan struggled at 141 and couldn't beat Adam Lynch in wrestle-offs. So he's not dropping there from 157 either (as if that were ever a consideration).

Penn State charges tuition per credit up to 11 credits per semester. 12+ credits is considered full-time and gets a flat rate (which varies by major and campus, does not include various lab fees, etc.).

English may be getting academic aid. He has a 3.4+ in Chemical Engineering, which is a nightmare major at PSU. (I know two executives at major household-name companies who graduated