nom

Was Bo Bassett youngest cadet world champ ever?

Can't be verified. Too many things we don't know. "Believed to be the youngest American" to win a world champ would be the most accurate statement. There is no confirmation, since we don't know the DOBs of all the previous champs and the results from past events are also missing from the UWW database. The ages/names of the events have also fluctuated over the years. 

There's too much we don't know from a data perspective to make this claim with certainty. 

4 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Can you get a waiver to move up from schoolboy to cadet?  When my kids were wrestling, that wasn't allowed.  Or perhaps that is just Fargo. 

The above is for UWW.  USAW, no. However, you can jump Schoolboy to Junior without a waiver. Schoolboy (14U) and Cadet (16U) are strictly birth year divisions. Junior is defined by your grade in school (HS- as long as not 19 before 9/1).

It appears that since UWW added the U15 age group that made Cadets 16 and 17 instead of the former 15-17 years old. Thus Bassett needed the "waiver" to move up.

Bassett will turn 15 in late August, so while he is technically 14 right now he is of proper age for this group. 

34 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It appears that since UWW added the U15 age group that made Cadets 16 and 17 instead of the former 15-17 years old. Thus Bassett needed the "waiver" to move up.

Bassett will turn 15 in late August, so while he is technically 14 right now he is of proper age for this group. 

Your last sentence suggests he shouldn’t need a waiver.  But he did.  That suggests he is not of proper age for this group. 

And @JasonBryant and @Husker_Du - thanks for the insights above.

56 minutes ago, BobDole said:

According to the Divisions and weights page from USAW, I think you're conflating divisions. U15 is a partial overlap with UWW Cadet. in that 2006 is shared.
https://www.usawmembership.com/age_group_weight_chart

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

According to the Divisions and weights page from USAW, I think you're conflating divisions. U15 is a partial overlap with UWW Cadet. in that 2006 is shared.
https://www.usawmembership.com/age_group_weight_chart

According to the UWW rules updated January 2019 on page 8
https://uww.org/sites/default/files/2018-12/wrestling_rules.pdf

The age categories are as follows:
U15 14-15 years (from 13 with medical and parental certificate)
Cadets 16-17 years (from 15 with medical and parental certificate)
Juniors 18-20 years (from 17 with medical and parental certificate)
Seniors U 23 19-23 years (from 18 with medical and parental certificate)
Seniors 20 years and older Veterans older than 35 years

FYI...

i had to sign a waiver to because my kid is only 15 even though as per the US published UWW years he is clearly good to go as id basset...

why?

just in case...

because in the past overseas some shenanigans have gone on and some of our athletes have had to jump through hoops because we are who we are...

i would suggest not focusing on the things that don't really matter and instead on those that do...

basset is a bulldog...

when there is a threat of grabbing legs his ridiculously heavy hands and out of control pace means he simply overwhelms kids... 

his greco needs serious attention if he wants to ever make any kind of impression in the men's style...

2 hours ago, BobDole said:

According to the UWW rules updated January 2019 on page 8
https://uww.org/sites/default/files/2018-12/wrestling_rules.pdf

The age categories are as follows:
U15 14-15 years (from 13 with medical and parental certificate)
Cadets 16-17 years (from 15 with medical and parental certificate)

1 hour ago, LJB said:

FYI...

i had to sign a waiver to because my kid is only 15 even though as per the US published UWW years he is clearly good to go as id basset...

Interesting that even though USAW is clearly updating the UWW per year they don't mention the need for a waiver.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

Interesting that even though USAW is clearly updating the UWW per year they don't mention the need for a waiver.

i will be very honest, i did not realize UWW rules clearly states 16-17... when mayabb called me from germany trying to email me the waiver i was a little confused as to why... he explained it was because he wasn't going to turn 16 until after the tourney, but, i was still working under the mindset of so what?

it wasn't until this thread and more specifically this morning i actually looked at the UWW rule book in regards to age...

the UWW rule book would be less confusing if they instead focused on birth year instead of "age" because clearly they work from the mind set of birth year, but, as has been discussed ad naseum, the UWW rule book is intentional "grey" and for acceptable reasons...

whatever...

it is really immaterial in the grand scheme of things...

5 hours ago, BobDole said:

Seniors 20 years and older Veterans older than 35 years

I'm pretty sure <20s can compete in seniors, Amir Zare (125kg FS) was 18 when he wrestled at Matteo Pellicone in Jan 2020 (and won, but I digress). 

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I'm pretty sure <20s can compete in seniors, Amir Zare (125kg FS) was 18 when he wrestled at Matteo Pellicone in Jan 2020 (and won, but I digress). 

you are eligible to compete at the senior level if your birth year means you will be 18 the year of the competition...

you do have to have a note from your mother...

6 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Per the link I posted, so you can be 18 the year of the event and wrestle seniors.

Wrestlers in the junior age category are allowed to participate in the competitions for seniors. However, wrestlers aged 18 in the year concerned must provide a medical certificate and parental authorization. Wrestlers aged 17 in the year in question may not participate in senior competitions.

1 hour ago, LJB said:

you are eligible to compete at the senior level if your birth year means you will be 18 the year of the competition...

you do have to have a note from your mother...

Khabib is still waiting for that note...