Housebuye

Trey Munoz in the portal

I wonder why? He seems to fit the ASU lineup well and was progressing. I know he was pretty aggressively recruited by other schools. I think ISU maybe was high on his list?

I wonder if maybe Anthony is moving up or something?

this isn’t good for ASU, but not the end of the world for this season. It will sting down the road when Munoz AAs elsewhere, assuming he leaves 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I wonder why? He seems to fit the ASU lineup well and was progressing. I know he was pretty aggressively recruited by other schools. I think ISU maybe was high on his list?

this isn’t good for ASU, but not the end of the world for this season. It will sting down the road when Munoz AAs elsewhere, assuming he leaves 

Very surprising to me as well.  If Valencia is bumping up, I wonder where Teemer ends up between 57 and 65. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Source???

My question, IF this is true, is does this mean Cael Valencia will be utilized as a true freshman at 174 lbs?

Edited by Bronco

28 minutes ago, Swayz said:

Off to Oklahoma State where mom and dad competed?  Or back to Cali?  Could he land at Stanford?  

I highly doubt Stanford is in the picture.  And that is no knock on Munoz.

That would be a huge loss for ASU. Munoz probably goes to 184 at some point in his career. Can’t really see weight competition being a thing. Oregon State makes sense. However leaving doesnt make a ton of sense. Something not good would seem to be brewing for this to happen. 

3 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

That would be a huge loss for ASU. Munoz probably goes to 184 at some point in his career. Can’t really see weight competition being a thing. Oregon State makes sense. However leaving doesnt make a ton of sense. Something not good would seem to be brewing for this to happen. 

I agree...it’s weird.  Even if AV went 174 he could go to 184. To leave ASU after winning a trophy and having a good team returning just doesn’t add up. 

I think depending on the circumstances,  he winds up in a school in California (if homesickness).   Otherwise I can see the Oregon State debate... his dad was a few years older than Pendleton right? 

17 minutes ago, Swayz said:

I think depending on the circumstances,  he winds up in a school in California (if homesickness).   Otherwise I can see the Oregon State debate... his dad was a few years older than Pendleton right? 

Mark Munoz is 4 years older than Pendleton - I think they would have just missed overlapping in school - Munoz won NCAAs as a senior in 2001 CP graduated in 2005 while winning his 2nd title.  I am pretty sure CP graduated HS in 2001 and started at 165 for OSU as a true freshman in the 2002 season.  If I am wrong and he did redshirt as a Freshman then that would have been in 2001.

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Mark Munoz is 4 years older than Pendleton - I think they would have just missed overlapping in school - Munoz won NCAAs as a senior in 2001 CP graduated in 2005 while winning his 2nd title.  I am pretty sure CP graduated HS in 2001 and started at 165 for OSU as a true freshman in the 2002 season.  If I am wrong and he did redshirt as a Freshman then that would have been in 2001.

Pendleton was pulled out of redshirt in Jan 2001 when Wilcox got injured.  He and Munoz hence overlapped thru the NCAA tournament.  Pretty sure CP wrestled the NCAA tournament with injured knee (they had no other options by then) reshirted the next season 2002.  

24 minutes ago, ionel said:

Pendleton was pulled out of redshirt in Jan 2001 when Wilcox got injured.  He and Munoz hence overlapped thru the NCAA tournament.  Pretty sure CP wrestled the NCAA tournament with injured knee (they had no other options by then) reshirted the next season 2002.  

Ok so he wrestled as a true freshman when Munoz was a senior  and then redshirted the next year.  Thanks for the correction - My memory is forgetting details as the years pile up.

Trey was a redshirt the last year CP was at ASU...so he coached him for that one year.  OSU could use an upgrade at 174 (however - Cornell transfer  Reiniche is there and healthy), however they are pretty set at 184 with NCAA qualifier Harvey transferring in and then Ryan Reyes redshirting with 3 years eligibility after that. Trey was cutting a lot of weight so it wouldn't surprise me to see him land somewhere at 184....but then why wouldn't he just stay at ASU? 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Trey was a redshirt the last year CP was at ASU...so he coached him for that one year.  OSU could use an upgrade at 174 (however - Cornell transfer  Reiniche is there and healthy), however they are pretty set at 184 with NCAA qualifier Harvey transferring in and then Ryan Reyes redshirting with 3 years eligibility after that. Trey was cutting a lot of weight so it wouldn't surprise me to see him land somewhere at 184....but then why wouldn't he just stay at ASU? 

Yeah. Munoz loves to hit the weight room. ASU has a huge hole at 184 next season. No reason he can’t bump up. I can even see him growing into 197 when Norfleet leaves. The move to leave is very strange. He has been wrestling well on the freestyle circuit as well. 

9 hours ago, TexRef said:

Would this open the door for Zane Coleman? Or is there someone else?

Doubtful IMO.   I would think Austin Clayton would be the starter at 174 for ASU if Munoz is gone.  If Munoz does, in fact, end up transferring then I think it's more likely that the following MIGHT be the ASU lineup for 2022:

125 - Brandon Courtney

133 - Michael McGee or Nick Suriano (If Suriano chooses ASU)

141 - Michael McGee (If Suriano chooses ASU) or Peter Lipari or Julian Chlebove

149 - Kyle Parco

157 - Jesse Vasquez

165 - Jacori Teemer

174 - Anthony Valencia

184 - Cade Belshay

197 - Kordell Norfleet

285 - Cohlton Schultz

4 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Let’s say his dad was NOT Mark Munoz, would we even care about this? He was 6-4 according to NCAA brackets and went 1-2 there. He’s a borderline top 20 guy

Yes. Many D1 coaches talked about how badly they wanted him, even after the fact. Apparently he has serious potential. He was offered more scholarships than someone ranked where he was coming into college. A lot of what they liked was mental I believe. 

I think dresser talked about it a bit. 

he has also had some good wins in freestyle recently

15 hours ago, Bronco said:

Doubtful IMO.   I would think Austin Clayton would be the starter at 174 for ASU if Munoz is gone.  If Munoz does, in fact, end up transferring then I think it's more likely that the following MIGHT be the ASU lineup for 2022:

125 - Brandon Courtney

133 - Michael McGee or Nick Suriano (If Suriano chooses ASU)

141 - Michael McGee (If Suriano chooses ASU) or Peter Lipari or Julian Chlebove

149 - Kyle Parco

157 - Jesse Vasquez

165 - Jacori Teemer

174 - Anthony Valencia

184 - Cade Belshay

197 - Kordell Norfleet

285 - Cohlton Schultz

With Suriano they could win a title. 

longshot obviously, but this lineup has 7 returning AAs plus Norfleet. If Vasquez jumps levels we are talking 9 AAs. The only hole is 184.