BuckyBadger

Olympic Sports vs Olympic “Sports”

It can only be a sport if there is defense involved. Otherwise it’s demonstration of athletic skill.  Doesn’t make it any more or less important. 

Correct
Field hockey is a sport
Javelin is an athletic competition
Golf is a game

Do people think that bocce ball, horseshoes, mini golf and frisbee golf are sports? Because that’s the category golf is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guarantee you that Tiger Woods is a better athlete than Ben Askren. Rory too probably. And let’s not even start to talk about Hwt wrestlers and whether an athlete can be overweight. The disrespect for other sports is pretty pathetic given what most of the world thinks about wrestling/wrestlers.

1 hour ago, npope said:

I agree that it is indeed a big deal to the athletes - just as the annual world cup events are. But the Olympics are now in the hands of marketing wizards - wizards who can convince a normal typical American housewife (with no specific interest in sports in general) that she cares about how an Algerian man whom she has never met does in skeet shooting. Those marketing guys are the ones USA wrestling should hire to promote our sport.

Wait, how did the Algerian do?

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

It is an example of an elite golfer who is clearly not an athlete.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’m not saying John Daly wasn’t an elite golfer back in the day. He made the claim about ‘best in the world’ not me. Just asking for one single example.

39 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I guarantee you that Tiger Woods is a better athlete than Ben Askren. Rory too probably. And let’s not even start to talk about Hwt wrestlers and whether an athlete can be overweight. The disrespect for other sports is pretty pathetic given what most of the world thinks about wrestling/wrestlers.

when did he disrespect other sports/activities??  Talk about someone's undies in a bunch...guy gave his opinion and even said multiple times that his opinion isn't a reflection of how hard/difficult/entertaining/exciting/etc. the activity is he thinks is or isn't a sport.  I certainly don't agree with all his criteria in terms of what I think is a sport and what isn't, but it's my opinion and he is entitled to his.  I consider sports sports that you actually have to compete directly against someone else.  Doesn't take ANYTHING away from something like gymnastics, which is my second most favorite sport/activity.  Plus, the skill, strength and athleticism it takes to do gymnastics is absolutely amazing.  Anyway, good discussion...thanks badgermon

I don’t personally respect Golf. It’s a country club yard game which wastes massive amounts of land and water mostly in order to perpetuate nepotistic business networks amongst white-collar criminals who couldn’t cut it in any real athletic competition. Tiger woods probably has a decent bench, but Ben Askren would kick his cheating ass, and that’s one of our worst athletes against their best.

17 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I don’t personally respect Golf. It’s a country club yard game which wastes massive amounts of land and water mostly in order to perpetuate nepotistic business networks amongst white-collar criminals who couldn’t cut it in any real athletic competition. Tiger woods probably has a decent bench, but Ben Askren would kick his cheating ass, and that’s one of our worst athletes against their best.

After seeing Askew against the you tuber, not in boxing.  With a couple of months training and sobriety, Woods would kick his ass.  Not wrestling or MMA of course.

30 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

as an aside...

i have made the comment several times that seeing as though i am old, slightly decrepit, and can't do what i used to do in my youth. i might take up golf...

but...

the above pretty much nails it...

31 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

11 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

After seeing Askew against the you tuber, not in boxing.  With a couple of months training and sobriety, Woods would kick his ass.  Not wrestling or MMA of course.

All right, now we are getting into the important stuff. 

Golf is extremely difficult and almost impossible to master and be good at...however, it is not a sport, but a competitive activity...which I love to play.  It is not the over generalization, completely asinine description that someone said it is.  Wow, how sad of a life do you have to completely categorize a whole croup of people that enjoy a competitive activity.  More than likely you don't like it and have to negatively label people that do play it because you completely suck, and are also so insecure that you have to try and bring other people down to make yourself feel better.

By the way...Tiger Woods would NEVER kick Askren's butt...come on people, that is absolutely ridiculous.  And I bet a lot of you would be surprised at how "athletic" Ben probably really is and how good his hand eye coordination is.  Yeah, he is a terrible boxer, but he is...sorry...WAS an elite fighter.

True overall athlete...Bo Jackson...hands down!

11 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Golf is extremely difficult and almost impossible to master and be good at...however, it is not a sport, but a competitive activity...which I love to play.  It is not the over generalization, completely asinine description that someone said it is.  Wow, how sad of a life do you have to completely categorize a whole croup of people that enjoy a competitive activity.  More than likely you don't like it and have to negatively label people that do play it because you completely suck, and are also so insecure that you have to try and bring other people down to make yourself feel better.

By the way...Tiger Woods would NEVER kick Askren's butt...come on people, that is absolutely ridiculous.  And I bet a lot of you would be surprised at how "athletic" Ben probably really is and how good his hand eye coordination is.  Yeah, he is a terrible boxer, but he is...sorry...WAS an elite fighter.

True overall athlete...Bo Jackson...hands down!

my real take on golf...

the amount of time and effort it takes just to be awful actually makes me have quite a bit of admiration for those who excel at it...

but...

i just can't bring myself to possibly care any less what happens to that little white ball, so, i lose interest almost immediately whenever i have tried anything golf related... 

with that being said, i used to really enjoy disc golf in my youth, so, take everything i just said and toss it out the window...

22 minutes ago, LJB said:

my real take on golf...

the amount of time and effort it takes just to be awful actually makes me have quite a bit of admiration for those who excel at it...

but...

i just can't bring myself to possibly care any less what happens to that little white ball, so, i lose interest almost immediately whenever i have tried anything golf related... 

with that being said, i used to really enjoy disc golf in my youth, so, take everything i just said and toss it out the window...

LOL...so true about care any less about what happens to the little white ball...I golf with some guys who let's just say are NOT good...they hit the ball and just turn away and walk back to the cart and I am constantly having to tell them where their ball is...my dad is the same.  Crack's me up!  I can see why people get frustrated and don't like it.  I have "quite" golf so many times in my life, but always go back to it.  Once I got older...I quite caring about how good I got and just focused on being consistent...help with the mental aspect a lot when I did that.  Don't get me wrong...I may have thrown a club last time out.  LOL

And yes...it does take A LOT of time to do it...pretty much takes up a whole day on the weekend.

1 hour ago, GoNotQuietly said:

You forgot pollutes lakes, rivers, and oceans with obsessive fertilizer and pestisides from runoff.   

1 minute ago, matts1w said:

You forgot pollutes lakes, rivers, and oceans with obsessive fertilizer and pestisides from runoff.   

I heard golf courses caused the dinosaurs to go extinct.

Ben Askren had interesting take on this as a former Olympian. Instead of wanting to reform the Olympic, his dream is for Wrestling to get big enough one day to be independent of the olympics. 

It is not impossible. UWW has Freestyle, Greco, Grappling, Pankration (an mma form) and Beach Wrestling. In my opinion UWW needs to mixed all wrestling styles in the various events and work very hard to develop non Olympic styles. Grappling and mma forms have a great popularity and Olympic wrestling is the key in these styles.

20 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

It is not impossible. UWW has Freestyle, Greco, Grappling, Pankration (an mma form) and Beach Wrestling. In my opinion UWW needs to mixed all wrestling styles in the various events and work very hard to develop non Olympic styles. Grappling and mma forms have a great popularity and Olympic wrestling is the key in these styles.

I would like to see a combat sports games. Jiu-Jitsu gets by just fine without the Olympics, and I think Judo, Wrestling, Taekwondo, etc. would be served well by allying with each other rather than seeing ever-diminishing love from the IOC and it's sponsors. 

21 hours ago, klehner said:

Why is the ability to run a mile without stopping a criterion for being a "sport"?  Shotput, discus, and javelin are as old as the original Olympics, but pretty sure that running a mile non-stop isn't required for these events.  Should they be dropped, too?  How does fencing fit into your qualifications?

And what's with these weight classes in wrestling?  Pretty sure (<checks notes>) that swimming and track & field are "beat everyone" and don't care if someone is bigger than you.

I want to see an NFL o-lineman run a 5-k or do some bouldering.

11 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I would like to see a combat sports games. Jiu-Jitsu gets by just fine without the Olympics, and I think Judo, Wrestling, Taekwondo, etc. would be served well by allying with each other rather than seeing ever-diminishing love from the IOC and it's sponsors. 

jitz gets by because there is a gym on every corner catering to single mothers and backwards hat guys...

other than that, i don't disagree...

if and when wrestling leaves the olympics, it will still continue and be as important as ever...

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

jitz gets by because there is a gym on every corner catering to single mothers and backwards hat guys...

other than that, i don't disagree...

if and when wrestling leaves the olympics, it will still continue and be as important as ever...

100%.

and people who do BJJ, Karate, or Judo more casually, or know people who do them casually, are a massive potential audience for people who do all combat sports very uncasually. The only hard part for me would be whether to formally include MMA or maintain a purist separation between the disciplines.

20 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If there is a judge, its not a sport.

Sorry gymnastics. 

What a lot of you fail to recognize is the common enemy, the IOC. They we're going to cut the sport and responded by saving it with cutting weights and participants. What does trashing another sport do for our sport? 

Regardless if its ping-pong or 3x3 basketball, these are still the best athletes in the world in their sport. The IOC is a corrupt money grab, I hope to see someday that the Olympics are not the premier event for the sport. 

I think that is going to take a unified group though and much less us vs them mentality. 

Edited by FriendlyCamper

26 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

100%.

and people who do BJJ, Karate, or Judo more casually, or know people who do them casually, are a massive potential audience for people who do all combat sports very uncasually. The only hard part for me would be whether to formally include MMA or maintain a purist separation between the disciplines.

Wrestling has to be one of the least practiced adult recreational activities.  99% percent of people who wrestle  after their early 20s were former high level competitive wrestlers.

Bjj has an army of adult recreational practitioners who never plan on competing.  

Edited by HawkY

4 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Wrestling has to be one of the least practiced adult recreational activities.  99% percent of people who wrestle  after their early 20s were former high level competitive wrestlers.

Bjj has an army of adult recreational practitioners who never plan on competing.  

Yes, but BJJers eat up wrestling content when it is easily accessible to them. People at my BJJ place are paying $75 for a Zach Esposito clinic next week and the place will be packed. We should partner with them and other martial arts for commercial success, rather than the IOC, if we get the chance. Thus, the combat sports games.