BuckyBadger

Olympic Sports vs Olympic “Sports”

Re askren vs woods: about 10 years ago LaVar Arrington had a show on DC sports-talk radio. His co-host was an MMA fan who thought Brock Lesnar was a tough dude. Arrington said he would beat Lesnar's ass, full stop. He said that he knew folks with the Vikings, and they were dismissive of Lesnar not only as a football player but also as a tough guy. I think Arrington's exact words were, "He's a punk."

IDK maybe we put too much stock in that old Gable quote about everything being easy once you have wrestled. 

After seeing Askew against the you tuber, not in boxing.  With a couple of months training and sobriety, Woods would kick his ass.  Not wrestling or MMA of course.
Adkren is actually a damn good disc golfer. He would beat Tiger in wrestling and in disc golf, no doubt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Re askren vs woods: about 10 years ago LaVar Arrington had a show on DC sports-talk radio. His co-host was an MMA fan who thought Brock Lesnar was a tough dude. Arrington said he would beat Lesnar's ass, full stop. He said that he knew folks with the Vikings, and they were dismissive of Lesnar not only as a football player but also as a tough guy. I think Arrington's exact words were, "He's a punk."

IDK maybe we put too much stock in that old Gable quote about everything being easy once you have wrestled. 

Concur.  A social media personality made Askren look silly in boxing, so boxing is not his sport.  Woods looks taller, stronger and more athletic.  No reason to think he wouldn't win.

30 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Yep, I don’t see why we as wrestlers have such a huge ego over who is/isn’t an athlete. Sports like Basketball, Baseball, Football,  Golf, and Tennis pay their best athletes millions. Obviously the best athletes in the country/world end up competing in these sports if given the choice. It’s a basic selection process.  I can tell you for a fact that the guys I competed with in HS/college wrestling were not the best athletes in the school or honestly even close. Does that diminish the sport of wrestling? I don’t think so-I think it’s motivation to keep growing the sport so it gains interest.

It’s laughable that somebody would claim baseball isn’t a sport when Tatis, Acuna, and Trout, are better athletes than anyone in wrestling. There’s a reason Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, and Kyler Murray did Football/Baseball and not Football/wrestling. Why are elite athletes like Steph Curry also elite golfers but not elite wrestlers? 

Edited by Billyhoyle

So there are no world class athletes that wrestle because they don't make millions of dollars??  Okay <huge eye roll>  Wow...that is the most ridiculous thing to say.  Not to mention, pretty sure Askren is a multimillionair...my guess is Burroughs is as well.  And you think because someone can hit a baseball and throw and catch (all basic things almost every kid learns to do) and make millions they are automatically better athletes than a JB, Dake, Taylor, etc??  Man....just when you think it can't get more ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So there are no world class athletes that wrestle because they don't make millions of dollars??  Okay <huge eye roll>  Wow...that is the most ridiculous thing to say.  Not to mention, pretty sure Askren is a multimillionair...my guess is Burroughs is as well.  And you think because someone can hit a baseball and throw and catch (all basic things almost every kid learns to do) and make millions they are automatically better athletes than a JB, Dake, Taylor, etc??  Man....just when you think it can't get more ridiculous.

To clarify, I think wrestlers are elite athletes (including Askren) and some of the best athletes in the world become elite wrestlers (JB, Cox, Dake). But most of the best athletes end up competing in the sports that will make them millions. It’s why Mocco and Adam Coon’s athleticism stands out in wrestling, but is at best average on a football field. So I’m simply making the point that if Golf/baseball aren’t sports, then neither is wrestling. I think all three are great sports though. 

Sports like Archery, Fencing, Swimming, Track, and Riflery (and wrestling) are what make the Olympics a great event. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

4 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Not by my definition. It’s an athletic display. Still great, I love track and it’s highly competitive. 

If your definition of sport excludes track and field, you should not be insisting that your definition is correct, you should be looking deep within yourself and asking your God for forgiveness.

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Yep, I don’t see why we as wrestlers have such a huge ego over who is/isn’t an athlete. Sports like Basketball, Baseball, Football,  Golf, and Tennis pay their best athletes millions. Obviously the best athletes in the country/world end up competing in these sports if given the choice. It’s a basic selection process.  I can tell you for a fact that the guys I competed with in HS/college wrestling were not the best athletes in the school or honestly even close. Does that diminish the sport of wrestling? I don’t think so-I think it’s motivation to keep growing the sport so it gains interest.

It’s laughable that somebody would claim baseball isn’t a sport when Tatis, Acuna, and Trout, are better athletes than anyone in wrestling. There’s a reason Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, and Kyler Murray did Football/Baseball and not Football/wrestling. Why are elite athletes like Steph Curry also elite golfers but not elite wrestlers? 

On one hand, I tend to agree. But on the other hand, it depends how you judge athleticism. The best wrestlers are not as fast as football players  and do not have the hand-eye coordination of  baseball players. But that's because in football, running is a big part of the sport. But I would guess that the best wrestlers are stronger pound-for-pound, just as quick and have greater endurance.

As for golf, many athletes from other sports play golf as a leisure activity and get good at it. No one does wrestling as a leisure activity. On the other hand, plenty of great football players were also excellent wrestlers. But when they started to look at sport as a career, most would indeed pick football. Also, the only wrestlers who are big enough to make it in the NFL are typically heavyweights. Even a guy like Gabe Dean, who was a great HS QB, would be too small to play D1 football.

2 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

He won the British Open and the PGA Championship. He was the best in the world on those 2 days.

But that’s not how golf determines who is the best in the world.

if a wrestler wins the Matteo Pellicone are they the best in the world?

2 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Debatable. The winner of the British Open even earns the title "The Champion Golfer of the Year".

2 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Silly, the best wrestlers are not all at the MP. The best golfers are all at the British Open.

22 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Any examples of someone being the best in the world at one of these events while smoking and drinking during it? 

How about this one? Or one of these other 4? 

Why we love Michael Phelps — bong rips and all

Edited by DanGerMan

8 hours ago, NJDan said:

If your definition of sport excludes track and field, you should not be insisting that your definition is correct, you should be looking deep within yourself and asking your God for forgiveness.

Wth are you talking about?  

So I pick up a rock and I can throw it really far…that’s a sport?  No it’s called being able to throw a rock really far, same as a javelin and a shot put. Now if you had to throw that rock really far while I was trying to stop you that would be a sport.  Not really hard to understand. 

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Wth are you talking about?  

So I pick up a rock and I can throw it really far…that’s a sport?  No it’s called being able to throw a rock really far, same as a javelin and a shot put. Now if you had to throw that rock really far while I was trying to stop you that would be a sport.  Not really hard to understand. 

How Platonic, but your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, nor given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden base!