BuckyBadger

Olympic Sports vs Olympic “Sports”

15 minutes ago, LJB said:

i don't necessarily have any "criteria" for what is included in the olympics, but, the two sports/disciplines/whatever the hell someone wants to call them you mentioned i feel are 100% olympic worthy and i have explained it well enough as to why in this thread already...

i really don't care what is in and what is not for many of the reasons that have been gone over...

the olympics is a shameful money grab and as such is pretty damn gross...

with that being said...

the OLYMPIC DREAM for the participants is still the same as it has always been and that is one of the most important/worthy/admirable aspirations an "athlete" can have on this planet in my estimation...

i don't care what sport they participate in, the olympic dream is the same and representing your country on the world stage is still the biggest honor an "athlete" can have win lose or draw...

I completely agree that it has turned into a shameful money grab with all sorts of corruption. That’s an important driver in what gets included in the games. It’s no longer about defining a high standard for what should be included. If you care about what the games have become and what they are turning into I’d argue that it’s important to have that criteria and make sure it has a high standard.

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

99% of people considering wrestling is a niche sport as well, so by this definition wrestling shouldn't be in the olympics. The wrestling we do today is very different than what they actually did back in ancient Greece. 

greco is actually pretty close to what they used to do and everyone in this country is scared to death of it...

digression...

3 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

I completely agree that it has turned into a shameful money grab with all sorts of corruption. That’s an important driver in what gets included in the games. It’s no longer about defining a high standard for what should be included. If you care about what the games have become and what they are turning into I’d argue that it’s important to have that criteria and make sure it has a high standard.

again...

any sport/activity/exercise/whatever the greedy bastards decide will make them more money and gets included into the olympics does not change the olympic dream for the participants of said sport and that is what should matter...

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

Sports require a combination of skill and physical exertion/athleticism. Just because sport A requires more physical exertion than sport B, doesn't mean the latter isn't a sport. Gordie Howe was in the NHL at age 50 and Jagr was in his 40s.  Is Hockey not a sport? Go try out competitive archery, shooting, or equestrian.  I guarantee that you will not find them to be easy.  All require significant skill as well.  Please see my post above about graphing skill/exertion on cartesian coordinates and apply it accordingly. 

99% of people considering wrestling is a niche sport as well, so by this definition wrestling shouldn't be in the olympics. The wrestling we do today is very different than what they actually did back in ancient Greece. 

If you reread my post you’ll see I said what the Archery or shooting competitors do should not be discounted. It requires skill and training, but I don’t think they are comparable to sports that focus on athletic skills.

Wrestling may be niche but it has a large pool of competitors. Nearly every culture has their own style and history, it’s perhaps the most universal sport.

4 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

If you reread my post you’ll see I said what the Archery or shooting competitors do should not be discounted. It requires skill and training, but I don’t think they are comparable to sports that focus on athletic skills.

Wrestling may be niche but it has a large pool of competitors. Nearly every culture has their own style and history, it’s perhaps the most universal sport.

exponentially more people on this planet have shot a bow or gun than ever wrestled...

8 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Ok, my mistake, I thought you were in the camp of the two not being sports/not belonging in the olympics.  I agree with you that wrestling is a better sport, although LJB is correct that more people shoot than wrestle. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

26 minutes ago, LJB said:

again...

any sport/activity/exercise/whatever the greedy bastards decide will make them more money and gets included into the olympics does not change the olympic dream for the participants of said sport and that is what should matter...

Agreed but it’s really not what we’re arguing. I’m sure an Olympic medal is incredibly valuable to the skateboarder or trampoline jumper that earned it. They still don’t belong in the Olympics. 

Just now, BuckyBadger said:

Agreed but it’s really not what we’re arguing. I’m sure an Olympic medal is incredibly valuable to the skateboarder or trampoline jumper that earned it. They still don’t belong in the Olympics. 

they are there, so, by mere inclusion they belong...

you just don't like them and that is fine...

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

they are there, so, by mere inclusion they belong...

you just don't like them and that is fine...

Fair enough, I think that’s as close as we’ll get.

Side note. Some of these gymnasts would make great wrestlers. These guys are impressive.

13 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Fair enough, I think that’s as close as we’ll get.

Side note. Some of these gymnasts would make great wrestlers. These guys are impressive.

on pure physical strength and control, yes...

but...

that is not what makes a great wrestler...

i used to love to watch gymnastics as a kid and what they did amazed me and that was 25 years ago... i can't really fathom what those people are possibly doing now...

i just lost all taste for any sport where you do not control your own outcome...

Just now, BuckyBadger said:

Aside from pure physical strength and control they have unbelievable flexibility and agility. Those are great building blocks for wrestling…

yes... all of that is true...

but...

that is not what makes a great wrestler...