Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Any Precedent for Biles

Without condemning her, I was wondering if there is any precedent for Simone Biles: A champion athlete, not phyically injured, deciding he or she is not ready to compete and withdrawing from a major competition?

Borg quit tennis at 26, the height of his powers. Said was more to life than hitting a ball, tried a failed comeback in his 30s. 

Oh and I forgot to mention. The great Deepak pulled out of the world finals. 

Edited by HawkY

3 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Niki Lauda quit the Japanese Grand Prix after one lap because he felt unsafe and it ended up costing him the Formula One world championship. 

**tip of the cap**

I would say no, but also add that there's not really a good precedent for what she's dealing with either. It's not like she's a hitter afraid to strike out, a kicker afraid to miss, or a wrestler afraid to get taken down. She's losing track of the ground while upside down 10 ft in the air and can't protect herself. It's a very dangerous situation.

12 minutes ago, Witherman said:

you missed that he was leading the world championship in the last race as well.

I didnt miss it.  He could compete at the one of ten next Grand Prix and enter the GP series in 7 months.  You quit at the Olympics, you dont even get another shot for 4 years

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Boxing has had a few.   Oliver McCall quitting against Lennox Lewis was very bizarre.  Roberto Duran calling 'No Mas' against Sugar Ray Leonard was strange as Duran is one of the greatest fighters ever.

"The Atomic Bull"

15 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Barry Sanders retired at the top of his game and on the verge of breaking the all-time rushing record.

This is who I thought of, but he retired at the end of the season, so I wasn't sure if it was quite the same.