Bronco

Benji Alanis to Univ. of Northern Colorado?

Have to wonder why Arizona State (apparently) did not recruit him.  Seeing as he's from Phoenix, AZ.

From N. Colorado's press release about their top 15 recruiting class :

"Benji Alanis
Alanis is the No. 25 overall recruit in the class of 2021, according to Mat Scouts, and ranks No. 4 nationally at 138 lbs. He comes to the Bears from Phoenix, Ariz., where he attended Valiant College Preparatory. Alanis has an impressive high school resume that includes being two-time FloNationals All-American, two-time NHSCA All-American, UWW Junior All-American, USAW Junior All-American, and Super 32 medalist. He projects at 141 or 149 lbs."

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Anyone who has ever been to Greeley questions why the #25 recruit in the country would go there.  Compounded with the lack of national success UNCO has - primarily due to serious annual injures - and this is a real headscratcher.  Maybe he knows somebody on the staff.

They got a Top 3 guy in 2019... Nickerson has recruited very well the past few years.

18 minutes ago, PinFallRecruit said:

They got a Top 3 guy in 2019... Nickerson has recruited very well the past few years.

I agree - He has done a good job. Alanis will have good workout partners. 
sometimes guys want to go somewhere where they know they will start for several years. It’s good that solid recruits aren’t all going to the big 10 or to top teams. 

10 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Anyone who has ever been to Greeley questions why the #25 recruit in the country would go there.  Compounded with the lack of national success UNCO has - primarily due to serious annual injures - and this is a real headscratcher.  Maybe he knows somebody on the staff.

Please explain Greeley to me.  Colorado always seems to be described as gorgeous.  I’ve never been there.

2 hours ago, Sstern said:

Please explain Greeley to me.  Colorado always seems to be described as gorgeous.  I’ve never been there.

Eastern half of Colorado is the great plains.  It is cattle country, identical to western Kansas and Nebraska.  Greeley is the king of all this.  Like all places, it is a decent place.  There is a large meatpacking plant there.  About ten miles east is a huge feedlot.  They claim to fatten 1.000,000 head/year but I'm skeptical of that.  10 miles is woefully insufficient to dissipate the smell of that much money, so the moniker of 'Stinky Town' was bestowed upon it.  UNC is on the eastern edge of town.  Fracking brought a lot of oil and gas to Greeley, so there is that.  There are a lot of demands by  a sizable number of people every 4 years to secede.  I understand that  part because I grew up out there.  Not a good cultural fit with Denver/Boulder.   I imagine it is a hard sell to an urban young man with options.

The posters here are correct, Troy Nickerson has improved the program a lot.  They did land Andrew Alirez (the #3 they are talking about) a few years back.  Alirez is a local.  He has suffered some injuries but has done very, very well when on the mat, as you are probably aware.   They lean on transfers quite a bit, but have been starting out well the last few years.   By the end of the year they are either hospitalized or burned out and they fade.

12 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Agreed...........but that really wasn't the point of my first message here.  I simply was curious why he was not (apparently) recruited by ASU.  Especially considering the fact that 141 lbs is likely to be one of two weight classes that ASU will be less than strong at (IF a certain former Rutgers national champion doesn't end up at ASU this fall).

10 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Agreed...........but that really wasn't the point of my first message here.  I simply was curious why he was not (apparently) recruited by ASU.  Especially considering the fact that 141 lbs is likely to be one of two weight classes that ASU will be less than strong at (IF a certain former Rutgers national champion doesn't end up at ASU this fall).

And I think by pointing out that UNCO recently got a #3 he was making the counterpoint that Alanis signing with them is in no way a firm indication that ASU did not recruit him. 

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Why didn't Cael recruit Spencer Lee?

1 hour ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

And I think by pointing out that UNCO recently got a #3 he was making the counterpoint that Alanis signing with them is in no way a firm indication that ASU did not recruit him. 

Don't you know that if a hometown wrestler doesn't sign with the hometown team then the hometown team didn't recruit him? I read it on the internet. 

Besides....why would you NOT want to wrestle here...

E5dTX2fVcAgSq2f?format=jpg&name=small

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

He was recruited by ASU.  Why do you think he wasn't?

15 hours ago, Bronco said:

You think Squeek and Stagger Lee didn’t recruit him? Man the treasure valley must have some great pubs.

15 hours ago, Bronco said:

Whitey boy is Squeek’s godson. He will man 141. Or the old dominion kid, name escapes me. McGee I think, will likely bump from 33 to 41 should Nicky decide to join Helen in Tempe. 

22 hours ago, calot said:

He was recruited by ASU.  Why do you think he wasn't?

I don't know for a FACT that he was recruited by ASU.  Which is why I used the word apparently.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:57 AM, Plasmodium said:

Eastern half of Colorado is the great plains.  It is cattle country, identical to western Kansas and Nebraska.  Greeley is the king of all this.  Like all places, it is a decent place.  There is a large meatpacking plant there.  About ten miles east is a huge feedlot.  They claim to fatten 1.000,000 head/year but I'm skeptical of that.  10 miles is woefully insufficient to dissipate the smell of that much money, so the moniker of 'Stinky Town' was bestowed upon it.  UNC is on the eastern edge of town.  Fracking brought a lot of oil and gas to Greeley, so there is that.  There are a lot of demands by  a sizable number of people every 4 years to secede.  I understand that  part because I grew up out there.  Not a good cultural fit with Denver/Boulder.   I imagine it is a hard sell to an urban young man with options.

While Greeley does have a distinctive odor most of the year, it’s not exactly in “Eastern” CO.  It’s <30 miles from the front range

It’s probably a good thing it’s not a cultural fit with Denver/Boulder

1 hour ago, fudge_tunnel said:

While Greeley does have a distinctive odor most of the year, it’s not exactly in “Eastern” CO.  It’s <30 miles from the front range

It’s probably a good thing it’s not a cultural fit with Denver/Boulder

It is culturally distinct from the front range, independent of the merits either way.

While Greeley does have a distinctive odor most of the year, it’s not exactly in “Eastern” CO.  It’s It’s probably a good thing it’s not a cultural fit with Denver/Boulder

Yeah, if they had the same culture and work ethic as those bums out in Boulder, they might actually have some Olympians.

Instead…nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boulder? what has boulder produced? 

125-149 isn't an area of need, Bronco. wth are you looking at?

they are absolutely loaded down low. A national champ (or two) at 125. an AA at 133 . Two blue chip recruits for 41/49 and another that was #60 in his class. #45 in 2022 for 49/57. an NCAA and JR World teamer at 157.

you've been on one lately. 

On 7/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, Plasmodium said:

He wasn't ranked that high until he beat Van Ness in April right? I don't remember where he was ranked, but he certainly wasn't top 25. 

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Yeah, if they had the same culture and work ethic as those bums out in Boulder, they might actually have some Olympians.

Instead…nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

…..what are you talking about?