Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

This sucks...

ugh...

i'm sure they have their reasons, but, just feels deflating...

i will say, when the kid and i first started talking about joining the military when it is time to train greco full time, i brought up that if he chooses the marines he better be prepared to sacrifice his greco for being a marine... they don't play... they will deploy no matter what competition may or may not be coming up...

and odin bless them for doing it, but...

very disappointing from my perspective...

stefanowicz and the boy had a greco practice match a couple of years ago at a marstellar camp... the boy was like 75lbs, but, was just thrilled to get to do real wrestling in the middle of stall fest camp... 

Not sure if you read through the article, but said they will merge into the "SemperFit" program, where you basically get a short time to train before competition.  It's going to be devastating to our already struggling greco program.

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not sure if you read through the article, but said they will merge into the "SemperFit" program, where you basically get a short time to train before competition.  It's going to be devastating to our already struggling greco program.

I don't follow greco. But since the Marines have not produced an Olympian since 1992 until this year, how will losing the program be devastating?

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't follow greco. But since the Marines have not produced an Olympian since 1992 until this year, how will losing the program be devastating?

FFS...

any less opportunities for the best style in this country is devastating...

not having those athletes with a marine mentality able to compete at their best and push our other athletes is devastating...

this chess not checkers...

<<insert an eye roll big enough it just cracked my monitor>>

10 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I guess it's hard to explain if you don't follow the sport and only look at the number and frequency of marine athletes that make the olympics.  I'll just say that the Marine program (As well as Army) has been a staple in US greco for decades, and without it the U.S. will fall further behind.

5 minutes ago, IronChef said:

There were 8 athletes listed as All-Marine Wrestling Team at the trials, so that's a significant loss if 15% of the qualifiers are on a team that won't exist anymore.

Not only a team that won't exist anymore, but they can't just go and join the NLWC or something like that because of their military commitment, which means they don't just lose a team, but lose the ability to train as needed.

3 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

it was the 6th sentence

FFS willie...

you don't have to chase me around and be a jackass all the time...

particularly in a thread about greco, which, you know fuk all about...

I am afraid GR wrestling might have much bigger problems than this.

I think there is a reasonable chance that 2024 may be the last time we will see GR in the Olympics.  If true, that will be the end of GR

people have been saying the sky is falling on greco since i have been involved in wrestling...

greco and the women's style will be fine without the olympics... 

we don't need the olympics to validate the sport...

of course, i could be naive and totally off base and the sky will actually fall this time... 

This does suck.

I had some great times and very fond (and not so fond) memories of my time in the green.  Being TAD to Quantico for the All-Marine tryouts a couple of times was definitely something I really enjoyed.

NJ Dan, the 2 Olympians since '92 is not the focus.  Marine Greco has had multiple World and National Team members since Buddy Lee (who gave me "flying lessons", although neither of us were aviators) was an Olympian back in '92.

Unfortunately this is not surprising. I’ve had a bad feeling about Grecos funding ever since Mayab took the Oak Park job again literally days after coming onto a virtual wrestling mindset clinic to talk about the GRIT programs and how he’s working to build Greco in the US.

A few of my more conspiracy minded friends were of the opinion that Rau’s appeal was torpedoed from the get go due to him being a necessary sacrifice to get a WCAP guy on team and keep the program. Which if true makes this suck worse

42 minutes ago, irani said:

I am afraid GR wrestling might have much bigger problems than this.

I think there is a reasonable chance that 2024 may be the last time we will see GR in the Olympics.  If true, that will be the end of GR

What makes you think that? Greco has higher participation worldwide 

7 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Unfortunately this is not surprising. I’ve had a bad feeling about Grecos funding ever since Mayab took the Oak Park job again literally days after coming onto a virtual wrestling mindset clinic to talk about the GRIT programs and how he’s working to build Greco in the US.

A few of my more conspiracy minded friends were of the opinion that Rau’s appeal was torpedoed from the get go due to him being a necessary sacrifice to get a WCAP guy on team and keep the program. Which if true makes this suck worse

i am not sure mayabb taking the HS school job really affects his participation as the development coach...

Hauk is the other age level coach and he has a full time HS coaching gig as well...

regardless, i am having a phone call with him this weekend to chat about some stuff...

55 minutes ago, jp157 said:

What makes you think that? Greco has higher participation worldwide 

Greco still hasn't made significant moves towards the gender equity that the IOC has placed such a high importance on. Without a female version of the same thing it will remain at risk.

13 minutes ago, LJB said:

i am not sure mayabb taking the HS school job really affects his participation as the development coach...

Hauk is the other age level coach and he has a full time HS coaching gig as well...

regardless, i am having a phone call with him this weekend to chat about some stuff...

I don't think either job is one you can do properly and split time between. Emphasis on “properly”.

At least as I understood what he said he was/is Trying to to do with GRIT. To really build Greco at grassroots level I think it’ll require the same hustle and time you have to commit as a HS head coach. 

So to me it Either implies he knew less support funding and want to was coming and acted prudently. Or he wants to run a program again while helping “when” he can. Probably a prudent mix of both. This is in no way saying anything bad or disparaging about him. I just get the impression he saw writing on wall. 

3 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I don't think either job is one you can do properly and split time between. Emphasis on “properly”.

At least as I understood what he said he was/is Trying to to do with GRIT. To really build Greco at grassroots level I think it’ll require the same hustle and time you have to commit as a HS head coach. 

So to me it Either implies he knew less support funding and want to was coming and acted prudently. Or he wants to run a program again while helping “when” he can. Probably a prudent mix of both. This is in no way saying anything bad or disparaging about him. I just get the impression he saw writing on wall. 

the writing has been on the wall since boogie bug turned the world upside down...

none of the greco guys have been at the OTC for a year and a half... they are training at an MMA gym in the springs... everyone has been let go at OTC in springs... it is a ghost town...

the word around the campfire for the last year is that greco is not coming back to the OTC after the world quits being scared of its shadow...

i have little doubt he made a prudent decision for himself based off of that...

what i am saying is have talked to him quite a bit while the kid was training for worlds and we are going to talk this weekend about future plans and i don't get the sense that he is abandoning the greco developmental program...

FWIW... we had 3 greco camps before cadet worlds this year... that was it... and our kids still performed considerably better than they have in the past...

that is something that begs more questions than it answers...

58 minutes ago, jp157 said:

If you've had a chance to listen to Rau's interviews over the past few months he brought the cancelation of the Marine greco program up as a major reason for why he believes he was shafted. It was known before trials. In the interviews they discuss possibly saving the marine program by making sure they have an Olympian. In the questionable first match there was a former Marine ref and former Marine mat chair. Rau's been posting about it all over social media the past couple days. 

Before the OTT I thought Alan Vera would win the spot and be our best chance for a medal. Rau also brought up how he believes Vera's semi match against Stefanowitz was a bit fishy but I'm not sure if I see that one like that.

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

the writing has been on the wall since boogie bug turned the world upside down...

none of the greco guys have been at the OTC for a year and a half... they are training at an MMA gym in the springs... everyone has been let go at OTC in springs... it is a ghost town...

the word around the campfire for the last year is that greco is not coming back to the OTC after the world quits being scared of its shadow...

i have little doubt he made a prudent decision for himself based off of that...

what i am saying is have talked to him quite a bit while the kid was training for worlds and we are going to talk this weekend about future plans and i don't get the sense that he is abandoning the greco developmental program...

FWIW... we had 3 greco camps before cadet worlds this year... that was it... and our kids still performed considerably better than they have in the past...

that is something that begs more questions than it answers...

I gotcha. If your closer to the situation I’ll defer to that. I was stating observations based off what I know. 

I don’t think he’ll “abandon” the program but it won’t be as effective as it could have been unfortunately 

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

I gotcha. If your closer to the situation I’ll defer to that. I was stating observations based off what I know. 

I don’t think he’ll “abandon” the program but it won’t be as effective as it could have been unfortunately 

i don't disagree with that, but, it hasn't produced results since old blue was a pup and even then they were not great...

i can tell you it is not because of coaching or time with athletes per se...

the biggest issue is getting our really good wrestlers to actually buy into greco...

that is the real struggle...

3 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

If you've had a chance to listen to Rau's interviews over the past few months he brought the cancelation of the Marine greco program up as a major reason for why he believes he was shafted. It was known before trials. In the interviews they discuss possibly saving the marine program by making sure they have an Olympian. In the questionable first match there was a former Marine ref and former Marine mat chair. Rau's been posting about it all over social media the past couple days. 

Before the OTT I thought Alan Vera would win the spot and be our best chance for a medal. Rau also brought up how he believes Vera's semi match against Stefanowitz was a bit fishy but I'm not sure if I see that one like that.

Oh I’m well aware of the situation. Have my own opinions on it. I’m just trying to be.. prudent I guess. While not great at Greco myself. I grew up with Greco guys and coaches. I’d like the team to at least not suck. So I’m disappointed with the situation all round. 

Especially because I have an athlete who might consider the Greco only route