Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

This sucks...

i love joe rau. love em. great guy.

but i don't for a second believe the match was 'fixed'

i mean, they cautioned Stef and put him in par terre making the match 6-5 late. one Rau gut and he the match would be over.

and the whistle was one of the best GR refs in the country. how many Marines' bouts has he called over the years?

i can be persuaded to consider a different angle, but from what i know, i don't see it. 

Edited by Husker_Du

8 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

If you've had a chance to listen to Rau's interviews over the past few months he brought the cancelation of the Marine greco program up as a major reason for why he believes he was shafted. It was known before trials. In the interviews they discuss possibly saving the marine program by making sure they have an Olympian. In the questionable first match there was a former Marine ref and former Marine mat chair. Rau's been posting about it all over social media the past couple days. 

Before the OTT I thought Alan Vera would win the spot and be our best chance for a medal. Rau also brought up how he believes Vera's semi match against Stefanowitz was a bit fishy but I'm not sure if I see that one like that.

i did not pay much attention to that whole situation...

interesting...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i don't disagree with that, but, it hasn't produced results since old blue was a pup and even then they were not great...

i can tell you it is not because of coaching or time with athletes per se...

the biggest issue is getting our really good wrestlers to actually buy into greco...

that is the real struggle...

I was under the impression that the whole point of the GRIT program was to build but in and train coaches to be able to do that. That’s why I had high hopes. 

A good strategy would be to go into weaker states like Arkansas. Start Greco clubs and use the “you can get nationally competitive quicker” through this style sales pitch. Because it would grow numbers and depth. And increase likelihood of kids committing full time 

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

i did not pay much attention to that whole situation...

interesting...

At absolute “best”. The ref was extremely.. “safety oriented” and inserted himself into the match too much. The whistle also “happened”to get blown every time Rau was about to put away the match whether or not the call was confirmed. It stopped the scoring sequence. 

Also, what stands out to me is that I’m 90% sure Medlin was a Marine himself. Even accounting for him being Raus coach. Having grown up with a brother in the marines and having several friends who served. Along with everything I known and have seen about Medlin. I highly doubt he would back raus appeal if there wasn’t something there

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

At absolute “best”. The ref was extremely.. “safety oriented” and inserted himself into the match too much. The whistle also “happened”to get blown every time Rau was about to put away the match whether or not the call was confirmed. It stopped the scoring sequence. 

Also, what stands out to me is that I’m 90% sure Medlin was a Marine himself. Even accounting for him being Raus coach. Having grown up with a brother in the marines and having several friends who served. Along with everything I known and have seen about Medlin. I highly doubt he would back raus appeal if there wasn’t something there

i knew Rau was unhappy... i knew thought there were shenanigans... i just did not make it a point to pay attention...

in fact, i did not even watch the matches...

i'll probably check them out and make my own judgement after that...

FWIW...

i like them both as people, so, i did not want to look too hard, but, i still thought Vera would win the spot...

14 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I was under the impression that the whole point of the GRIT program was to build but in and train coaches to be able to do that. That’s why I had high hopes. 

A good strategy would be to go into weaker states like Arkansas. Start Greco clubs and use the “you can get nationally competitive quicker” through this style sales pitch. Because it would grow numbers and depth. And increase likelihood of kids committing full time 

That Arkansas thought you had is what drove my ? Re Greco post.

13 minutes ago, LJB said:

i knew Rau was unhappy... i knew thought there were shenanigans... i just did not make it a point to pay attention...

in fact, i did not even watch the matches...

i'll probably check them out and make my own judgement after that...

FWIW...

i like them both as people, so, i did not want to look too hard, but, i still thought Vera would win the spot...

The controversial match disappeared for awhile. I think it’s back up. 

5 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Maybe all the greco programs will fold so USA can stop throwing money at a style that not many people care about. Put all the resources into men’s and women’s freestyle because their the ones bringing home medals. 

Hey now. We should at least not suck as a Greco team. It will probably never be our best style but we should have a team that isn’t borderline embarrassing outside of things like Coons miracle draw

13 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Hey now. We should at least not suck as a Greco team. It will probably never be our best style but we should have a team that isn’t borderline embarrassing outside of things like Coons miracle draw

ogal is just a mouth breather that is always trying to sh!t on greco...

he is like the vast majority in this country... scared of real wrestling...

pay him no mind...

20 minutes ago, LJB said:

ogal is just a mouth breather that is always trying to sh!t on greco...

he is like the vast majority in this country... scared of real wrestling...

pay him no mind...

Eh Greco has its issues. I just don’t hate it

The highlowights of 2017 World GR

59 Champ Fumita: Pretty incredible to think you can not score a single point in your last three bouts and win a World title.

66 Champ Ryu: Ryu scored an offensive point in just one of his five matches.

75 Champ Nemes: Nemes lived on passivity points. In his final four matches, he received 10 passive points while only scoring three offensive points.

85 Champ Basar: Basar won two matches in which an offensive point was not scored by either wrestler, including in the finals.

130 Champ Kayal: Won a world title this week without scoring a single takedown.

it's indefensible, really

look...

i get it...

scared of actually wrestling...

i have quit worrying and/or trying to educate the plebians in this country...

when you consider it is the most popular style worldwide and it is just this country that is scared of it, it should spark a little bit of light up there, but, considering how dull most are it is not that surprising...

you guys stick to running out of bounds to avoid wrestling...

i'll stick to the actual fight...

6 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

The highlowights of 2017 World GR

59 Champ Fumita: Pretty incredible to think you can not score a single point in your last three bouts and win a World title.

66 Champ Ryu: Ryu scored an offensive point in just one of his five matches.

75 Champ Nemes: Nemes lived on passivity points. In his final four matches, he received 10 passive points while only scoring three offensive points.

85 Champ Basar: Basar won two matches in which an offensive point was not scored by either wrestler, including in the finals.

130 Champ Kayal: Won a world title this week without scoring a single takedown.

it's indefensible, really

The current ruleset for Greco seems to be a little bit better as far as action and scoring. I’m pretty sure they’re different rules than 2017. 

Im perfectly willing to let Greco be sacrificed if it saves Olympic wrestling. But as things are. We should support it enough that we aren’t an embarrassment as a team

22 minutes ago, LJB said:

look...

i get it...

scared of actually wrestling...

i have quit worrying and/or trying to educate the plebians in this country...

when you consider it is the most popular style worldwide and it is just this country that is scared of it, it should spark a little bit of light up there, but, considering how dull most are it is not that surprising...

you guys stick to running out of bounds to avoid wrestling...

i'll stick to the actual fight...

yes. that's the angle. hit me with false machismo. <eyeroll> 

i'm certain that's why dake, taylor, gilman, burroughs, snyder etc wrestle FS. because they're scared lol. what a dipstick

3 hours ago, jp157 said:

What makes you think that? Greco has higher participation worldwide 

I see this quoted all the time, but never with numbers to back it up. Although it is usually state as the most popular style in the world and the proof is that more countries participate in the Greco worlds versus the FS worlds

3 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

yes. that's the angle. hit me with false machismo. <eyeroll> 

i'm certain that's why dake, taylor, gilman, burroughs, snyder etc wrestle FS. because they're scared lol. what a dipstick

willie...

ignorance is bliss...

you are proof of that every time your pudgy fingers start banging on theses keys...

keep living your best life...

14 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I see this quoted all the time, but never with numbers to back it up. Although it is usually state as the most popular style in the world and the proof is that more countries participate in the Greco worlds versus the FS worlds

you were given numbers and then quoted them and still don't get it...

**shrugs**

28 minutes ago, LJB said:

willie...

ignorance is bliss...

you are proof of that every time your pudgy fingers start banging on theses keys...

keep living your best life...

in other words, you have nothing substantial to reply with. 

i'll let some of our freestylers know that "LJB on themat.com says your scared of GR" just to see how hard they laugh.

you're not only stupid, you lie to yourself to make yourself stupid. ugh. 

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

in other words, you have nothing substantial to reply with. 

i'll let some of our freestylers know that "LJB on themat.com says your scared of GR" just to see how hard they laugh.

you're not only stupid, you lie to yourself to make yourself stupid. ugh. 

oh, willie...

i am deep in a lengthy reply on another thread...

maybe your mouth breathing @ss will read that and then get a better understanding of what i'm talking about...

i doubt it because you are as average as they come, but, i am hopeful...

you can always DM me and i'll help you with multi-syllable words and concepts in private if you would like...

keep living your best life, little fella!!!!

wow...

just watched that match...

that ref should never be allowed to ref another match in his life...

i am not saying it was collusion, but, he literally stole that match from rau without a doubt...

there was absolutely no reason to stop the second head pinch... nothing illegal at all or dangerous... there was absolutely no change from the first one that was awarded...

giving a caution and 2 was inexcusable...

there is absolutely no rule to put rau down after the caution and two where he gets turned twice...

he totally broke procedure...

i would think any wrestling "journalist" should be able to see all the ways that ref influenced that match outside of the rules...

maybe not a wrestling "blogger"...

but a "journalist" for sure...