Sign in to follow this  
denger

Mixed Gender Dual Team Event

Mixed Gender relays are getting coverage this games in the pool, on the track, and on the triathlon course. 

Would a mixed gender wrestling dual be watchable?

What if it involves some of our stars in the non-olympic weights, or the Dakes and Taylors stuck behind JBs?

We have some depth in Women's wrestling too, and that's getting deeper. 

Duals are a different product, and there's a market for that. Would that be interesting to the masses?

*Apologies to Ionel and the "If...then why..." thread. This is obviously in the same vein. 

Edited by denger
Wasn't paying attention to the whole forum

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Mixed gender duals happen all the time.

Yea, but could that be an Olympic favorite? Would that be any more popular?

A major flaw in my original post is a hope that it would extend competitive opportunities - like if there were a dual tournament made up of the non-olympic weights. Seeing the few mixed gender relays, I see that those teams are already made up of the biggest stars. Also, with the exception of triathlon, they've been super short and feel more like a post-competition exhibition than a serious thing. 

34 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Ah I see.  Meaning 12 weight classes with 6 per gender?

I would watch it.

That, or maybe two MFS, two WFS, two Greco. I don't know if it would be more watchable to non-fans, but my guess is that it would be. However, given the limited delegation, it would place a real burden and risk on the athletes who did this extra thing. 

In Ionel's "If...then why" thread (where I gather he's poking fun at the whole idea) I mentioned that a similar product to the others in track, swimming, and triathlon could look more like a take-down tourney. Like, a similar dual meet lineup, but the first takedown wins, and most takedowns in the least amount of time would win the dual. ...Same problems there given the limited delegation, but if it happened after the regular competition it could produce entertaining and unexpected exhibition matchups.

It's all a little silly from a real fan's perspective, but if it garnered some new fans it might be worth a try. 

I remember watching gymnastics exhibition performances at the end of the '88 games when I was kid - could have been '92, but it was more a time for the athletes to have a little fun. 

Judo now has mixed gender team event. They eliminate the separate men's and women's events to have a one m mixed. I don't know alot about the details but they combine classes and there can be gold medalists from two different weight classes competing. It is a cool way to end a tournament. It could work for wrestling