Jump to content
TripNSweep

Olympics Day 2 Discussion

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Wasn’t it 5-2 before that? 5-1, then push out so 5-2, right?

How did he score 3 points???

1 pt pushout, 1 pt injury/caution pt, 2 pt throw (originally 4 but challenged down to 2) = 5*-5 

what a throw in the dying seconds to rescue the win, incredible

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AnklePicker said:

Seems like Hancock over wrestles sometimes and gets sloppy.  Starts flailing. After he got that push out he had plenty of time to score again. 

Yeah had 17 seconds.  Seems like he used a lot of energy after that failed challenge.  Bummer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

? He would have gone from down 2-1 to up 2-1.

There was a zero percent chance that was getting overturned. It wasn't even a borderline call. He was closer to giving up 2 than scoring 1 based on what I saw live. Part of your job in the corner is to be able to say no when your athlete wants a bad challenge. Giving up a point there was meaningless because he was down on criteria. All the challenge did was make it so he had to score twice or a takedown instead of a single pushout.

We are not good at greco. That makes it all the more important for our coaches to be on their game in the corner. We can't afford bad challenges. G'Angelo Hancock would have had a better chance to win that match if I was in the corner and I know almost nothing about greco. But I knew that was a horrible challenge and that was the difference.

I'm way more pissed than I expected to be over a greco loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damn, Can anyone elaborate on that match?  I don' watch a lot of Greco, but it seemed like Poland controlled us the entire match, 

He controlled Hancock pretty well with the two-on-one underneath, and some gorgeous off balance techniques stepping in. Had a chance with some superb athleticism and scrambles to get some points, but was maybe 10% too loose/sloppy to capitalize. Giving up a point in a match that close on a failed challenge is borderline negligent, imho. Hancock sniffed some really awesome moves in there from start to finish but couldn’t quite close the door on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why dumb Chael Sonnen logic gets owned " Aleksnjan got pinned by Hancock one time so he will win gold . You can attack and undermine non US favorites all you want. But at the end of the day you have to beat the Michaliks of the world in the 2 round for it to matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was on a track before the awful challenge to get the win and it took him completely off track. You have to have a strategy for your team about how you respond to reffing adversity and how and when challenges are made and by whom, and that couldn’t have been much worse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Greco, it was my favorite of the three styles to wrestle in High school, and I love watching good Greco. Here we go…

We suck at Greco.  We are very very bad at it.  I lay this at the feet of the coaches, because our Greco coaches need to be shown the door.  Good athletes do not necessarily make good coaches, hello Matt Lindland.  

Watching US Greco is an exercise in knowing your team has excellent athletes who have no idea what they are doing in their own sport.  G wrestled that like he was a high school kid who didn’t know how to attack without legs.  He just gave the Polish guy his arm off the whistle for 6 minutes.  

American Greco wrestlers are legitimately very poor at scoring, position and control. 

There must be atrocious politics and scraps for funding in the sport at the national level, because it is embarrassing that we, as hands down the wealthiest nation in the world, continue to fail to field a competent team and coaching staff.  

That was terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jbai3_12 said:

Yeah had 17 seconds.  Seems like he used a lot of energy after that failed challenge.  Bummer

Actually I meant after the lost challenge he came out real hard and got a push out to go down one. He then went really hard again with over a minute left in the match I think. Drove so hard got out of position and gave up one to go down by two. Crucial part of the match. Over wrestled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I love Greco, it was my favorite of the three styles to wrestle in High school, and I love watching good Greco. Here we go…

We suck at Greco.  We are very very bad at it.  I lay this at the feet of the coaches, because our Greco coaches need to be shown the door.  Good athletes do not necessarily make good coaches, hello Matt Lindland.  

Watching US Greco is an exercise in knowing your team has excellent athletes who have no idea what they are doing in their own sport.  G wrestled that like he was a high school kid who didn’t know how to attack without legs.  He just gave the Polish guy his arm off the whistle for 6 minutes.  

American Greco wrestlers are legitimately very poor at scoring, position and control. 

There must be atrocious politics and scraps for funding in the sport at the national level, because it is embarrassing that we, as hands down the wealthiest nation in the world, continue to fail to field a competent team and coaching staff.  

That was terrible. 

I’d say the fact the US as a whole doesn’t put a major national focus on Greco and many of these guys aren’t fully immersed in Greco training until adulthood plays a big factor too.  And for the few young talents we convince to invest more time in the style, good luck finding them enough quality partners to help them learn from their mistakes.  Many of these other Greco guys and counties spend time perfecting the details of the style from an early age and are competing against solid competition in their country and nearby early on. Whereas the US is still folkstyle/freestyle based until we identity a few possible talents as they start to finish HS.  For the US the important details of Greco to compete at a high levels is not something you can easily get the feel for and/or break the bad habits of.  Many of our world team members seem to need several cycles to overcome those elements to be world medal competitive and sadly as some of them finally get a handle on it their bodies are reaching a point where it can athletically keep up like it use to.  Keep in mind the US is still technically an above average Greco country as far as past success goes, it’s just the top countries are a whole level above that, not to mention we as a nation just expect since freestyle doing so well that Greco should automatically be the same.  Maybe one day but it’s a major work in progress.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drew87 said:

Can you offer something a little note concrete than that?

I could but it would denigrate Tracy and I’m not into that right now...

you continue to wrestle instead of looking for help...

I’m more annoyed that I’ve been in a minute...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LJB said:

I could but it would denigrate Tracy and I’m not into that right now...

you continue to wrestle instead of looking for help...

I’m more annoyed that I’ve been in a minute...

I smell what you are cooking with that one match, I was referring to the program and our country’s abilities in Greco as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...