Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Olympics Day 3 Discussion

Alejandro Sancho gets the Russian world champ right off the bat. Not the best draw.

Stefanowicz gets a match vs Croatia who won a silver at 2017 U23 worlds. Winnable.

Kayla Miracle draws China who has only competed internationally twice. Kind of a crapshoot here. 

19 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Alejandro Sancho gets the Russian world champ right off the bat. Not the best draw.

Stefanowicz gets a match vs Croatia who won a silver at 2017 U23 worlds. Winnable.

Kayla Miracle draws China who has only competed internationally twice. Kind of a crapshoot here.  

Sancho gets the second favorite. One tiny  positive you can take out of it is he will probably get into repechage if he loses. Might be better than getting a 3 or 4 guy and losing to them.

For Stefanowicz, . Hukleks not super young so his lack of silverware should be encouraging.  I don't know though. Stefanowicz is almost 30 and he has never won a match at worlds. At that age, how much better can you get? 

There is no dominant favorite are 87. Its a pretty open weight, but Stef lost 7-0 to someone in this field. 

5 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Miracle quit attacking for a minute and then realized she had to score to win and China defended well and avoided her. Bad decision. 

Miracle looked like she had a baaad weight cut.  I only say that bc the only times I ever laid an egg like that was after a long, bad weight cut the day before.

18 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Miracle looked like she had a baaad weight cut.  I only say that bc the only times I ever laid an egg like that was after a long, bad weight cut the day before.

Looked like nerves to me. The hardest I ever gassed in my career was when I couldn't control my nerves and dumped adrenaline right away. Looked like she couldn't feel her hands after a minute. Been there.

19 minutes ago, jbai3_12 said:

Damn, Kayla with the headoutside single, but didn't switch off to a double or crack down.  The Chinese girl wrestled very well

She needs to eliminate the crackdown from her repertoire. Learn to always finish looking over their back. She made a lot of mistakes in that match. 

Reza Geraei in the final at 67kg after defeating Frank Stäbler and the Georgian that defeated Borrero. He'll wrestle Nasibov (UKR) for Gold tomorrow. 

I have never heard of Nasibov, has he ever medalled before?

Hadi Saravi at 97kg avenges his 2019 U23 world 2019 loss to Arvi (FIN) and beats him 9-2, winning Bronze and becoming an Olympic Bronze medalist at 22 years old. He's my favourite Iranian GR wrestler and I expect him to be a force at 97kg in the coming years, especially if Aleksanyan (30 soon) retires and he's 6 years younger than Evloev.