NJDan

Greco in a Nutshell

"History was made on Monday night, as Cuba’s talented 130 kg star Mijian Lopez Nunez became the first male wrestler to win four Olympic gold medals in wrestling. Lopez defeated Iakobi Kajaia of Georgia, 5-0 in the finals. Lopez dominated the action, getting a gut wrench, a step out point and two points on Kajaia’s passivity."  https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/August/02/Hancock-not-eligible-for-repechage-Lopez-wins-fourth-gold

So "history was made" in a match with exactly one offensive score.

19 minutes ago, NJDan said:

No, it's more like a penalty, like stalling.

This goes for every international detractor, not you specifically.

Let's stop trying to apply folkstyle logic to international wrestling. 

But ... a stepout is nothing like a stalling penalty. Moving on. 

The last minute was a snooze fest because the other guy conceded already, but there was pretty good action before that. Regardless, that doesn’t change the fact that history was definitely made. Did you ever see Rulon v. Karelin… that was much worse. History was made but on Karelin simply losing his grip first. Greco will never be as exciting as freestyle… it’s more about tradition and appreciating the intricacies. Many historic football (soccer) games never had more than one offensive point, and it’s still the most popular sport in the world. 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Or just tell everyone to get off your lawn. Just happy the snooze fest of greco is pretty much over after tonight. On to the real wrestling  much to the chagrin of LJB. 

I do believe the proper term for LJB is “greco apologist”

I don't really like Greco, but folkstyle heavyweights are much more boring than Lopez. I also have zero doubt that Lopez would have won multiple freestyle olympic titles if he had chosen to do so, and folkstyle heavyweights would not score on him and therefore have equally boring outcomes...The guy is simply a next level athlete. Everybody should be able to appreciate what he has done.  

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

Only participation numbers and people who have actually been overseas...

other than that...

You’ve never been overseas?

Soccer and cricket are also really popular overseas…doesn’t do anything for their status as snoozefests.

Edited by Drew87

6 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

You’ve never been overseas?

Soccer and cricket are also really popular overseas…doesn’t do anything for their status as snoozefests.

Now your changing the question...

again...

greco doesn’t need American “fans”...

don’t watch...

greco will be fine...

Just now, LJB said:

Now your changing the question...

again...

greco doesn’t need American “fans”...

don’t watch...

greco will be fine...

Nope, you did and are doing that.  I proffered that you were a greco apologist in a thread of people saying greco is boring.

And as a result we have bait and switch, snark, and dodged questions instead of objective engagement on the original topic.

I amend my previous assertion to “troll-pologist”

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

Nope, you did and are doing that.  I proffered that you were a greco apologist in a thread of people saying greco is boring.

And as a result we have bait and switch, snark, and dodged questions instead of objective engagement on the original topic.

I amend my previous assertion to “troll-pologist”

Greco is the most popular style worldwide...

you don’t have to get onboard...

greco doesn’t need you...

Snooze fest?  I actually feel like Greco keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire match. Also the pure bad assery of every dude that wins at that level. Like pieces of rock.  The par terre is ten times better than free as well. It’s like a foregone conclusion you’re getting turned by some of these guys. 

1 minute ago, AnklePicker said:

Snooze fest?  I actually feel like Greco keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire match. Also the pure bad assery of every dude that wins at that level. Like pieces of rock.  The par terre is ten times better than free as well. It’s like a foregone conclusion you’re getting turned by some of these guys. 

The best dudes are very bad men indeed, and good stuff like that is what makes greco fun, but I also feel our excitement is a tad artificially created because so little happens in so many of the collective greco minutes wrestled.  

Or…I could be horribly jaded because US greco is so primitive…

I am NOT asserting or declaring that it needs to be changed, I think all the changing of rules is a sign of weakness and is generally nonsense.

I love how some Greco guys just give up with 5, 8, or even 10 seconds left.   NOT.   Kind of like baseball players who refuse to run to first if they think they will be thrown out.