i don't know ivanov (either of them) personally...

my limited interactions with them have been when one of my kids have wrestled one of their kids...

clearly, they understand greco...

they are also bulgarian, which, tends to be a little abrasive personality wise...

i can't imagine it not being an issue politically speaking...

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

i don't know ivanov (either of them) personally...

my limited interactions with them have been when one of my kids have wrestled one of their kids...

clearly, they understand greco...

they are also bulgarian, which, tends to be a little abrasive personality wise...

i can't imagine it not being an issue politically speaking...

That's most Eastern Europeans. My wife's family all still live there. They have no problem telling you what's what. 

1 minute ago, TripNSweep said:

That's most Eastern Europeans. My wife's family all still live there. They have no problem telling you what's what. 

exactly...

i love it personally...

if this silly bbs is any proof, most soft americans can't stand being told they are not only wrong, but, really should just go sit in the corner and let the adults speak...

it is an issue that is getting worse instead of better here in this country...

the other ivanov coaches a kid my younger has wrestled against all 3 styles since they were 8... 

back and forth... back and forth...

that kid just doubled up at fargo and was a finalist both styles at trials...

the dad and i have got real chummy because we both recognize the skills...

it was probably 5 years of constant competition before ivanov would even shake my hand...

i gots no problem with it at all...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

exactly...

i love it personally...

if this silly bbs is any proof, most soft americans can't stand being told they are not only wrong, but, really should just go sit in the corner and let the adults speak...

it is an issue that is getting worse instead of better here in this country...

My wife is exactly like that. If there's a problem she isn't shy. She prefers to deal with things pretty directly. And if it comes to it she has no problem throwing down. There was a Bulgarian coach here who told me that if I ever lied or cheated on her I'd be better off trying to floss with a weed Wacker. 

6 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

My wife is exactly like that. If there's a problem she isn't shy. She prefers to deal with things pretty directly. And if it comes to it she has no problem throwing down. There was a Bulgarian coach here who told me that if I ever lied or cheated on her I'd be better off trying to floss with a weed Wacker. 

that is the way it should be across the board...

i sometimes feel as if i was born in the wrong place and time...

i also firmly believe this is all a simulation, so...

**shrugs**

3 hours ago, LJB said:

that is the way it should be across the board...

i sometimes feel as if i was born in the wrong place and time...

i also firmly believe this is all a simulation, so...

**shrugs**

I think we're in more of a multiverse. 

5 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Par terre defense is just as active as par terre offense. You can't just turtle up like stalling in folkstyle. You have to constantly move and shift your hips, crawl forward to break locks, etc...

You can't compare the two. It's just a completely different thing with the ability to lock hands. LJB is pretty much right. Across all styles, Americans put tons of effort and focus into neutral wrestling. Our freestylers are also below average in par terre for the most part. That is twice as costly in greco, which is mostly a par terre contest at this point. We're our weakest in the only position that really scores.

Fair enough.  Forgive my ignorance, but would you say that there is more scoring in par terre in freestyle or greco?   If so why?   In my limited viewing it seems like there is more par terre scoring in Greco, but maybe I'm thinking primarily of many Americans who as you say tend to focus more on neutral.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Fair enough.  Forgive my ignorance, but would you say that there is more scoring in par terre in freestyle or greco?   If so why?   In my limited viewing it seems like there is more par terre scoring in Greco, but maybe I'm thinking primarily of many Americans who as you say tend to focus more on neutral.

I'd have to look at the numbers, but I'd say more "true par terre" scoring in greco. My gut reaction is that a huge percentage of turns in freestyle come in transition off takedowns. Whereas in greco they mostly have to start from scratch in forced par terre, which makes it more difficult, but also results in higher level technique because it's so much harder. There's really no equivalent to falling into a lace in greco.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

because you dont have to worry about the guy grabbing your legs is part of it 

Well we had some success with hall, Paulson, Lindland, Rulin, Byers, warren, wheeler, gfarri and a few more. What did they do that we aren’t now? Did Folkstyle just get more popular in the USA as to make it the default scapegoat? I don’t buy folkstyle being the underlying issue with our success, or lack of. 

7 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Well we had some success with hall, Paulson, Lindland, Rulin, Byers, warren, wheeler, gfarri and a few more. What did they do that we aren’t now? Did Folkstyle just get more popular in the USA as to make it the default scapegoat? I don’t buy folkstyle being the underlying issue with our success, or lack of. 

not for nothing, but it may or may not be coincidence that the end of that run of Hall, Paulson, Lindland is around the same time frame USA Wrestling started putting alot of focus on offering folkstyle regional and national events.  I grew up competing against Hall and Paulson, and I can tell you we had zero folkstyle options between March and November. 

But now.....

On 8/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, Coach_J said:

Obvious many of you have never defended a seasoned opponent's rib-crunching gut wrench.  More to that than "stalling."  Defending a legit wrestler's gut-wrench in greco is one of the hardest things you will ever try (harder than in FS, where you can use legs to offset the torque).  My first month overseas I could barely breath because my ribs were so trashed from learning how to defend a gut.  Those of you who think it is just "stalling," go to the nearest room where they train GR and FS and let's see how long you defend a gut using your "stalling" technique.

The top guy should never get to your ribs...that is a sin.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/2qJ6GdUSdJ4/edit