TripNSweep

Aleksanyan question

11 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Is there a reason he didn't put his medal on but everyone else did? I didn't see his finals match so maybe he's protesting it subtly? 

No, I watched it and he was conclusively beaten by Evloev with no controversy.

Perhaps he is angry that he was injured and couldn't perform to his best, and he only wanted Gold. 

5 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Perhaps he is angry that he was injured and couldn't perform to his best, and he only wanted Gold. 

Maybe. It just seemed weird he held onto it and everyone else was flashing theirs around. I guess that makes sense. 

He is a pretty quiet guy; the most controversial thing he has done is wear a t-shirt with the image of a dead Armenian soldier killed in the Artsakh war on an awards podium.  If I were to guess (and it's only a guess), I think he is disappointed that this might be the end for him and he fell short of his goal.  But congratulations to all medalists at 97 k., a brutal weight class.

He was conclusively beaten because of that absolutely BS leg foul... It goes from 1-1 to 0-5 because of that call.
100% why he didn't put the medal on. He got hosed hard

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

He was conclusively beaten because of that absolutely BS leg foul... It goes from 1-1 to 0-5 because of that call.
100% why he didn't put the medal on. He got hosed hard

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

Also his leg/knee being super messed up, so he couldn’t even try to hit a turn. He looked very injured to me. 

That leg foul call looked bad to me too. I don’t know the rules well enough though

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Also his leg/knee being super messed up, so he couldn’t even try to hit a turn. He looked very injured to me. 

That leg foul call looked bad to me too. I don’t know the rules well enough though

It was really close. It looked like he did a good job of just keeping his arm there in position, but then there was a slight bend at he elbow and looked like his arm came in contact with the heel at that point.  With the bend in the elbow, alot easier to call a leg foul than if it was locked and strong on the mat.  

It was really close. It looked like he did a good job of just keeping his arm there in position, but then there was a slight bend at he elbow and looked like his arm came in contact with the heel at that point.  With the bend in the elbow, alot easier to call a leg foul than if it was locked and strong on the mat.  
Man he was locked in the same position . Once he knew he couldn't hold it anymore he pulled his arm back and put it on the outside of the leg.
Yes technically there was contact but not intentional and definitely not enough to warrant a foul.
Sigh. I literally said, "will they award this just because it's Russia?" When they called for review..... And now I'm all b*tchy and believing it's proof of corruption (I'm taking this to extremes damnit )

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

Man he was locked in the same position . Once he knew he couldn't hold it anymore he pulled his arm back and put it on the outside of the leg.
Yes technically there was contact but not intentional and definitely not enough to warrant a foul.
Sigh. I literally said, "will they award this just because it's Russia?" When they called for review..... And now I'm all b*tchy and believing it's proof of corruption (I'm taking this to extremes damnit )

The contact doesn't have to be 'intentional'.  Like I said it was close.  Corruption never came to my mind in that instance.  

Went and watched again (even closer this time since I wasn't driving to work....) and even more confident the right call was made.  As you said yourself probably was not intentional, but without question there is flex in the elbow, hand comes off that mat and comes into contact with Evloev's foot as he's pulling his arm through.  If the hand stays on the mat and arm locked, there's no call.  But with that slight flex and the hand coming off the mat, it was the right call.

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Went and watched again (even closer this time since I wasn't driving to work....) and even more confident the right call was made.  As you said yourself probably was not intentional, but without question there is flex in the elbow, hand comes off that mat and comes into contact with Evloev's foot as he's pulling his arm through.  If the hand stays on the mat and arm locked, there's no call.  But with that slight flex and the hand coming off the mat, it was the right call.

Yep. The hand coming off the mat did him in. 

Battle of the red heads and Evloev wins. That puts him at 3 World/Oly medals. Evloev is in his late 20s, could be just enough time to pass Balboshin (6 medals)  to become the most decorated heavyweight. 

The contact doesn't have to be 'intentional'.  Like I said it was close.  Corruption never came to my mind in that instance.  
Lol I'm being dramatic. I don't know how Greco is called and what exactly warrants what... At the time I thought it was minimal and didn't warrant a call... It really did decide the match, so I understand his frustration.
However, If you Greco guys say it was correct, I've got to believe it was the right call!

well...

first day at new job done...

i have a bourbon and cherry coke going on just waiting for wrestling to start...

what to do?

fine...

i'll watch evloev and aleks... why not?

man...

i'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong call, but, that was chincy as fuk...

well...
first day at new job done...
i have a bourbon and cherry coke going on just waiting for wrestling to start...
what to do?
fine...
i'll watch evloev and aleks... why not?
man...
i'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong call, but, that was chincy as fuk...

I feel like my initial gut feeling was less wrong now!
Thanks for softening the blow

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

It was tough, but for those who missed it, aleksanyan blew out his hamstring in the semi’s completing a lift against the Iranian.  He had the guy half way up, dude shifted his weight which put all of the weight through aleksanyan’s left leg, and his left leg hamstring just went.  He barely made it through the match.  I was a bit surprised he came out to wrestle at all.  He’s a monster, so of course aleksanyan would wrestle, but watching what evloev did to other dudes, I got the distinct impression evloev was out there to win while helping aleksanyan save face.  Evloev was pretty gentle and respectful all things considered, hence the two minutes of just holding each other’s forearms at the end.

7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I feel like my initial gut feeling was less wrong now!
Thanks for softening the blow

again...

technically the call was "correct" i suppose... 

but...

that was pretty weak and i can totally understand his frustration as evidenced by the clapping at the ref and judge after the bout...

i don't think it changes the outcome of the bout with his previous injury...

but, fuk me that was a tough call to make...

I think the thing that made them call it on review was that Evloev fell right at the point of contact. Whether or not that slight little contact caused the fall can certainly be argued, but I think that’s why it wasn’t called in real time but in review. I also think If he doesn’t fall, that contact isn’t even looked at. 

i can see why the made the call...

i don't think it was "bad" per se...

just pretty fukn chincy...

i think it has to be said that it was a great challenge by the not-russian-but-russian ROC coach...