Katie

Discussion thread for 57kg (m), 57kg (w), and 86kg (m)

Just now, ShakaAloha said:

The UZB guy is no joke.  Gonna be a good match against Gilman if they meet in the repecharge.  Congrats to Uguev though...he is so clutch.

Gilman and UZB even look quite a bit alike

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

Uguev scores off the Merkle position.  I thought that was folkstyle junk.

He needed it....not sure it's junk though...was great technique (in reference to his first match against Gilman)....just like his inside trip to win his next match.

Russia being forced to compete as the Russian Olympic Committee for widespread doping in their athletes has to be one of most impotent sanctions ever levied

It’s particularly evident when you watch track & field and XC skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I feel bad for Micic.  Out of the tournament with Takahashi losing to Sanayev

At least he was able to compete. Both he and Amine received a coveted Olympic spot while wrestling for a country they weren't born in, and to the best of my knowledge, never resided in before their senior level wrestling careers. Not everyone has a loophole like that to exploit.

Edited by Jrr277

18 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I feel bad for Micic.  Out of the tournament with Takahashi losing to Sanayev

I hear that, but he also didn’t do a single thing in his match…and if he wrestled for the US, he probably doesn’t make it past the semis of the challenge tournament.

I was rooting for him too, but he’s been “taking it easy” while wrestling for a number of years, he did some solid coasting in whatever the most recent year of folkstyle was as well.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I like when he was talking about one of the Russians... "so and so from Russia ....... (long pause) .... Olympic Committee"

I'm assuming that is why they changed Jordan to a regular announcer role. Match announcing is much better now. 

1 hour ago, Jrr277 said:

Russia being forced to compete as the Russian Olympic Committee for widespread doping in their athletes has to be one of most impotent sanctions ever levied

Most people on this board were hoping for exceptions for individual athletes, given that the worst allegations were in Sochi 2014. 

There were certainly enough exceptions made. 

Russia's official stance is a denial. They won't admit to any wrong doing, and instead they're playing the victim. 

I'm generally a positive fan - I'm happy to see people do great things. This Games, however, I'm satisfied every time a Russian falls. 

For anyone who hasn't yet, please scroll the "Olympic Doping" Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Olympic_Games. The sources are cited if you really want to know. It starts off interesting, then gets ugly, then London... Rio's list will likely grow, hopefully downward in proportion to London. 

Wrestling pales in comparison to Athletics and Weightlifting, but we're in there consistently enough.