Katie

Discussion thread for 74kg (m), 125kg (m), and 53kg (w)

Dake losing doesn't shock me, even though I picked him to win the weight. Taha losing like that did. What a horrible wrestling Olympics for Turkey. Their Talisman ends his career with no Gold and now Taha gets destroyed.

1 minute ago, AnklePicker said:

Has to be a weight cut thing for Dake. First match being tough Iranian took it out of him. He had no pop or spunk. Looked mentally out of it too. 

Agree. The problem is we don't have the depth at the trials to replicate the difficulty of the Olympics.  So I think for sure JB would have done better, but there's not way to make sure these guys aren't cutting too much.

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Yup. Dake has lost matches over the years, but never by more than a point or two. Got cocky maybe?

JB teched him in 2015 and 2013. Of course, JB was rested and Dake wasn’t. Dake also had a few losses in the 1-7 to 1-9 territory. (Stellar career overall, obviously.)

Edited by Katie

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It may be an odd point of view, but I think a bronze for a guy like Gilman would mean a lot, and I am rooting for it.  For Dake, he has already won multiple world titles, and I think given his position as the favorite, there really isn't that much of a difference between bronze/not medaling in terms of his legacy.  Chamizo winning gold at the Olympics is really the last thing he needs to accomplish in his career.

Dake was a favorite but never THE favorite in a bracket with the reigning 2x world champ Sidakov.  And I respectfully disagree about a bronze doing nothing for Dake's legacy considering the fact that this is his first Olympics and he has no Olympic medals yet.

I couldn't imagine us medalling 74,86,97,HVW so now maybe this opens karma up for Snyder at 97.  Hoping we can get DT gold tomorrow and follow up with Gable and then Snyder.  Gillman and Helen getting bronze would be incredible with the injuries they had to overcome.

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Dake was a favorite but never THE favorite in a bracket with the reigning 2x world champ Sidakov.  And I respectfully disagree about a bronze doing nothing for Dake's legacy considering the fact that this is his first Olympics and he has no Olympic medals yet.

Given the draw, sure.  But pre draw around here he was the favorite.  I was more confident about him than any other U.S. wrestler.  

Just now, MizzouGrad said:

Gotta root for Chamizo. He has swagger and is Italian. We need more Italians in wrestling. 

Lol dude he’s as italian as amine is san marinan, or as dutanashvili is serbian…

23 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It looked to me like Dake was gassed from his previous match.  He is good if he weighs in during the morning and can then wait until later to face JB, but he wasn't ready for the olympic gauntlet at 74 Kg. 

He always looks gassed

1 minute ago, Scorenomore said:

I couldn't imagine us medalling 74,86,97,HVW so now maybe this opens karma up for Snyder at 97.  Hoping we can get DT gold tomorrow and follow up with Gable and then Snyder.  Gillman and Helen getting bronze would be incredible with the injuries they had to overcome.

Yeah, all we can do is cheer for Taylor, Steveson, and Gilman at this point.  Hopefully Dake gets pulled back in too.

Just now, denger said:

I thought the same. 

....just wondering if anyone else saw something.

On replay it seemed as though he may not have went to his back but as has been said he didn’t challenge. In hindsight I would have. Let him regroup.