Katie

Discussion thread for 74kg (m), 125kg (m), and 53kg (w)

3 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

He did and I didn’t think that at trials. Weird. 

I think sometimes when you have a super hard cut it’s not making the cut, it’s holding the cut for a long period of time…….

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Given the draw, sure.  But pre draw around here he was the favorite.  I was more confident about him than any other U.S. wrestler.  

Going into Tokyo, I thought he was the best guy on our team, but 74 is stacked so I didn't think he had the best chance at gold.  Pre-Olympics, I thought Kyle was a lock to medal but it's hard to say he had a better chance at gold than Taylor who is in a really weak weight (DT, Naifonov, and Yazdani are the only legit guys at 86).

2 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

We need to see the semis but it’s possible the guy who destroyed Dake is that good. I can see the guy blowing our Chamizo too in which case we reevaluate the Dake situation and we hope for a bronze. 

Chamizo will not get blown out. That much I can say. 

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, BigTimeFan said:

We need to see the semis but it’s possible the guy who destroyed Dake is that good. I can see the guy blowing our Chamizo too in which case we reevaluate the Dake situation and we hope for a bronze. 

Can anyone give more information about this guy that destroyed him? How old is he, what Americans has he matched up with etc.

truth is dake at 79 was a watered down weight class and no one had scouted him yet

Burroughs had gone through the gauntlet for years and often had close tight nailbiter wins 

Combine that with Dake feeling like he already won the olympics when he beat burroughs and had already shot his shot - was over confident I would imagine thinking it would be just as easy at 79

Olympics at 65 and 74  is no joke

Just now, ShakaAloha said:

Going into Tokyo, I thought he was the best guy on our team, but 74 is stacked so I didn't think he had the best chance at gold.  Pre-Olympics, I thought Kyle was a lock to medal but it's hard to say he had a better chance at gold than Taylor who is in a really weak weight (DT, Naifonov, and Yazdani are the only legit guys at 86).

Well you were clearly right, and I was wrong! 

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

Pseudoscience and solar calluses only go so far.  Solar callus is particularly dumb.  I just went through a cycle of Efudex.

Wait, his orange skin was a pseudoscience thing?  I thought he had just been training in Columbus for a bit.

57 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Pseudoscience and solar calluses only go so far.  Solar callus is particularly dumb.  I just went through a cycle of Efudex.

Oh dude, hope you’re feeling alright.

Edited by Drew87

24 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

I loved your Dake prediction as well. 

Where was my Dake prediction?  I wanted him to win, but he is probably my least favorite person on the team.  However, unlike J'Den, he had the guts to make weight.  We would have seen something similar from J'Den at 97.  The non-Olympic weights are weak.  I think J'Den knew that.

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Wait, his orange skin was a pseudoscience thing?  I thought he had just been training in Columbus for a bit.

Oh geez I was recently downvoted into oblivion for that line of thinking

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

JB pulled John Smith off the broadcast and they’re drilling as we speak

According to his Instagram, Burroughs brought Mark Hall to Miami to train with him while he's not busy at the NBC studios.  He has been vlogging a lot of behind the scenes stuff throughout his time with this strange Olympic broadcasting situation.