Katie

Discussion thread for 74kg (m), 125kg (m), and 53kg (w)

I didn’t see Dake being way off physically. I saw him move fluidly and crisply get to the body multiple times and then get hit with unbelievably sick counters and ridiculously perfect hip placement from the Belarusian. He got out wrestled by something he was not ready for at all. Looked like Yoel Romero vs. Adam Saitiev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, AnklePicker said:

Time to get back to Gable. Wow wow wow!  Looked smaller (I realize he has big hips) but still looked smaller and completely dominated. Please continue wrestling Gable. And not the pro style!  Can be a legend if he starts off with Olympic gold here. 

If he wins gold he's probably done. No incentive to continue. 

6 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

Time to speculate on - Next steps: MMA, WWE or both?

He reportedly signed with an MMA manager.  Of course, that does not necessarily mean he's going into MMA.

If we hadn't destroyed their way of life and turned them into 2nd class non citizens for over a century maybe we would. 

On a positive note, a Native American won a WorldTour cycling road race in Spain recently. Neilson Powless.

Also became the first Native American to ride in the Tour de France last year.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/clasica-ciclista-san-sebastian-2021/elite-men/results/

i think if tech fall was to 15 dake may have lost 15-0. That was not a fluke - he had countless scoring exchanges and came out losing every single one and they weren't that close.  Dake didn't even get close to scoring. Dake pretty much let him get in on the final points and use the butt defense he did against JB and was and easy 2

Dake loses if they get a rematch tomorrow 

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

Gable is a force. Cannot wait for him to take on Geno. 

CANNOT WAIT. 

Geno has to get by Zare 1st - I think that match is a lot more of a toss up than Gable vs the Mongolian.

I’m amazed this “Belerussian” was not on more people’s radar. He was a 2017 Russian National Champ and he dominated the Last chance qualifier against stiff competition wrestling exactly the way he did against Dake. I think Chamizo and Dake will be grappling for bronze and that Sidikov will have his hands full.

I don’t specifically recall a Russian transplant ever defeating a native Russian at the olympics, except maybe Sahin (Turkey) Artur (Uzbek) or the Azeri 96KG guy?

2 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

Well of course the Russians are better. They actually know how to wrestle different styles. 

The Americans know how to play defense and folk style. Luckily, Russians are pushing the sport while we go 0/24 in Greco. 

are you always negative?

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Geno has to get by Zare 1st - I think that match is a lot more of a toss up than Gable vs the Mongolian.

Agree. Zare looking good and really pushes the pace. Let’s see if he can gas Geno. Gable is going to smoke the Mongolian. 

3 hours ago, Katie said:

Let me get this straight.

Dake was stuck behind Burroughs in 2013 and 2015 because Burroughs got a bye to the WTT finals. (This seems like a fair point to make, actually. But JB was also the world champ those years, so maybe Dake's problem was that JB was the best in the world.) 

Then Dake was stuck behind Burroughs in 2017 because of bad officiating at the 2017 US Open, which led to a JB bye to the WTT finals.  (Again, JB was the world champ that year.) 

Now he lost by tech at the Olympics, and it's because of a weight cut?

This seems like a lot of excuses.

Where did you read this about the weight cut?

I always hate seeing Americans lose but I have to admit that Dake has done many things make me less of a fan. He can be so incredibly whiny and always has excuses ready. 

He got absolutely manhandled today. Good to see Gable balance the scales and do the same to Akgul.

3 hours ago, Cairowrestler said:

I’m amazed this “Belerussian” was not on more people’s radar. 

let's not get crazy here. he also took 7th in the EURO Olympic Qualifier losing to a Bulgarian who didn't make it.

he may be levels above that right now, but there wasn't any thing to indicate that would be the case. 

3 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I didn’t see Dake being way off physically. I saw him move fluidly and crisply get to the body multiple times and then get hit with unbelievably sick counters and ridiculously perfect hip placement from the Belarusian. He got out wrestled by something he was not ready for at all. Looked like Yoel Romero vs. Adam Saitiev.

His opponent was outstanding but that didn't look like Dake to me.  He was not crisp and looked clumsy by his standards, because he was off physically and/or panicked and went to reckless attacks after getting in a big early hole. This is someone who dominated at worlds multiple times but today looked like he didn't even belong on the mat with a guy with a much thinner record.   

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Time to get back to Gable. Wow wow wow!  Looked smaller (I realize he has big hips) but still looked smaller and completely dominated. Please continue wrestling Gable. And not the pro style!  Can be a legend if he starts off with Olympic gold here. 

Stunning. 21 year heavyweight embarrassed the defending champion at the Olympics, it looked like a counter-wrestling clinic/go-behind fest. The only things I can think of that could stop him are if he gets massively overconfident and loses focus or if someone figures out a genius game plan, which would have to be centered around not attacking and giving Gable no chances to counter and hoping he gets sloppy.  Shouldn't happen, though -- he looks so hungry and his timing is so sharp that his quickness should be too much for any human over 6 minutes.  

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

So, it's possible that one of the Bronze Medal matches will be between a pair of two time World Champs!?

Yes, that is correct.

Dake has Garzon from Cuba first and if Dake wins he will have Chamizo from Cuba Italy.