Katie

Discussion thread for 74kg (m), 125kg (m), and 53kg (w)

3 hours ago, wamba said:

Where did you read this about the weight cut?

I always hate seeing Americans lose but I have to admit that Dake has done many things make me less of a fan. He can be so incredibly whiny and always has excuses ready. 

He got absolutely manhandled today. Good to see Gable balance the scales and do the same to Akgul.

Talking about what his fans say. 

I'm wondering if Dake was so focused on beating JB to make the team that he was not as prepared for the Olympics as he should have been.  Maybe he thought it would be easy?  combine that with the short time after weigh ins and it wasn't a good recipe to win.

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Congrats to Gable Steveson for conclusively proving that he is an elite wrestler at 125kg and possibly the best in the world, at the age of 21.

I was a skeptic based on his resume but he has proven himself beyond doubt. A fantastic talent. 

Does he have plans to move to MMA after Tokyo, or will he stay in wrestling? 

Not clear. It seems like he intends to move onto WWE (fake wrestling) at some point, but he also appears to have some interest in MMA. He's still eligible to compete in college wrestling for two more years, but there's no guarantee that he will stick with wrestling that long.

1 minute ago, Bozak2018 said:

I'm wondering if Dake was so focused on beating JB to make the team that he was not as prepared for the Olympics as he should have been.  Maybe he thought it would be easy?  combine that with the short time after weigh ins and it wasn't a good recipe to win.

We can make all the excuses in the world for Dake, but the simple fact is that the Belarusian wiped the mat with him and now we can just hope that he has the mental toughness of Gilman and can beat the Cuban and Chamizo for a bronze.

Absolutely amazing stuff from Gable today. Can't wait for the final. 

It wasn't surprising to see Chamizo go down given how Dake was handled by the Belarussian. It'll be interesting to see if he can pull himself together tomorrow.

Edited by wamba

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Not clear. It seems like he intends to move onto WWE (fake wrestling) at some point, but he also appears to have some interest in MMA. He's still eligible to compete in college wrestling for two more years, but there's no guarantee that he will stick with wrestling that long.

I don't see him stepping foot on a college mat again, but if he does, I think it's only fair that he has to wrestle two opponents at once.

9 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

The first time Dake wrestled JB in 2013, he came out aggressively and got teched.  (It was a seven-point tech, and JB was rested while Dake was not.) The next match he wrestled defensively and lost a close one in OT.  I think if Dake had wrestled Kadimagomedov defensively, he would have stood a much better chance. 

Another difficulty Dake may be having is that he's now being more heavily scouted than ever.