Sign in to follow this  
two-six

The traditional singlet....

It's been discussed here many time before, but I think it's worth bringing up again.

Many of the discussions here talk about how some of our best High School athletes (and younger) choose other sports. This is especially true in larger towns (at least in my area). I have now heard dozens of these youngsters complain of the singlet. Is this a legit excuse for not trying wrestling?

Whether you are a fan of the traditional singlet or not, I don't understand why there can't at least be options.

MMA has plenty of wrestling and the different shorts they wear doesn't affect it too much. As far as grabbing onto the shorts, they allow socks .... (Matt Brown reference) :D

Other than tradition what is the reasoning for keeping the singlet? Remember the old BBall shorts? If kids still had to wear those I bet you would see a decline in BBall as well.

Are there any tournaments where this is optional?

I agree with your point but the real question is what would you replace it with? Unless your just wearing shorts ala MMA I don't see a viable alternative. In no gi grappling you have guys wearing shorts and compression shirts. But wasn't that tried a few years ago by some teams and turned out to not work at all?

Jeans and a t-shirt is an option!

Yes, I'm kidding, but I still have a picture of myself in the paper in a youth tournament that I wrestled in where my opponent had a white t-shirt and jeans. As the caption, said I only beat him 5-2 too, so it CAN be done!

I agree with your point but the real question is what would you replace it with? Unless your just wearing shorts ala MMA I don't see a viable alternative. In no gi grappling you have guys wearing shorts and compression shirts. But wasn't that tried a few years ago by some teams and turned out to not work at all?

Wasn't aware that it had been tried. What do you mean by it didn't work?

At practices in the Middle School I have seen quite a few wrestlers wearing compression shorts under the sweats. My son is so skinny the singlet seems to fall off of his upper body. :D

Do swimmers want to shake the really skimpy swimming shorts, or runners theirs, how about the basketball players with what in my day we called a "skort" they look ridiculous! Baseball players wear skin tight pants for no apparent reason, and football players wear capri pants; if all of that is true (and it is), why would changing the singlet bring more to the sport.

It is an excuse for not wanting to participate in the toughest sport known to man. If we changed the singlet, they could complain about the headgear next; it wouldn't matter.

This is just my opinion but I would assume most 8-14 year olds don't like singlets when they first encounter them. I'd like to see a break from tradition and move towards fight shorts and spandex shirts for wrestling at the youth and junior high level.

Even at the high school level we should allow programs to move this direction. If MMA uses shorts and their athlete's can compete without grabbing them, wrestling can do the same.

The singlet, or unitard, seems to be worn out of tradition more than necessity.

Unitard should replace the word singlet!

Unitard should not replace singlet lol.

Anyway... In my experience most kids that complain about the singlet but try wrestling anyway (maybe "just in practice") end up saying they don't mind it at all.

I wouldn't be against giving kids the option of wearing a compression shirt/shorts during competition but doing away with the singlet I think is a very bad idea. Maybe like when the singlet was used at the same time as the cloth shorts/ankle length tight pants thing.

The singlet is iconic to the sport of wrestling. Many other sports have tight performance wear - swimming and gymnastics to name a couple.

Not wanting to wear a singlet is a weak excuse for a kid or parent.

The thing about board shorts and a compression shirt is that the compression shirt invariably gets untucked and starts riding up. It would add another source of equipment failure for lung timeouts. Also having done no-gi grappling even if you aren't grabbing the shorts you still get fingers caught in them sometimes, occasionally causing broken fingers and always preventing you from completing a move.

Nobody wears singlets in practice and you don't hear of people breaking their fingers. If you broke your finger, it's because your opponent wrenched on it, not because it got caught in a shirt.

To non-wrestling people, singlets look like queer underwear. They definitely steer some kids away from the sport. They might look good on Jordan Burroughs, but most people aren't build like an Olympian. If they looked as good as they are functional, people would work out in them. But nobody does because they don't want to look like an idiot... or like the coach in Vision Quest.

coach-300x225.jpg

Guess this shows another generational viewpoint and in this case an old one. As a youngster who watched wrestlers in tights, toms (as they were called) and tank tops the uniform seemed acceptable. When a top local hs team (Reavis of Burbank, Ilinois) appeared in their black or white Olympic singlets it caught lots of people off guard including the IHSA State Administrators who promptly banned it the following year for excessive skin exposure. Actually, it looked great and gave every kid an added incentive to "hit the weights"!

The singlet is iconic to the sport of wrestling. Many other sports have tight performance wear - swimming and gymnastics to name a couple.

Not wanting to wear a singlet is a weak excuse for a kid or parent.

It's not really about how tight they are.... some MMA shorts are even worse. It's perhaps more "style" than anything, but poor excuse or not if it hurts numbers then it's worth discussing.

Womens Vball shorts are pretty tight, I doubt anyone complains about that though ;)

Wnywrestling.... great example! lol

Actually, it is about how tight they are. Singlets highlight every flaw in your body and then some. That's exactly why you would never wear one in public unless you've no choice because it's the required uniform. Swimming has the same problem. I don't hear of too many kids begging their mom for a Speedo to wear on Spring break. Do you think there are those who don't join the swim team for fear of wearing a Speedo? I do.

Singlets were illegal in the NCAA until ~1970. It might be a tradition, but not a very old one. Most 70's fashion statements have come and gone... it's time for the singlet to go too.

wny - i've seen more than a few fingers get twisted up in T-shirts /shorts during practice.

Maybe not outright breaks but definitely sprains and hyperextensions.

The modern singlet covers the nipple area and doesn't ride too high on the thighs, covers FAR more than swim team trunks. IMO if all those big awkward high school heavyweights can get over drooping out of those singlets infront of people, I think anyone can.

Just don't understand this loathing of singlets. Is it because some guys are afraid to be seen as overweight, or because of someone's irrational homophobia based on a feeling that singlets are too revealing? If singlets are so damn revealing, then why do we never see models in them? Either way, this is irrational and silly.

That said, if fight shorts take over, so be it. Don't really care. However, there's more cloth to catch, and more to come undone, but some folks with body-image issues might like them better. Compression shorts are skimpy, too. I also think guys in singlets look more like superheroes from the comics than guys in leotards. Better superheroes than extras from a gangsta rap video.

There are also different kinds of singlets. Some freestyle singlets are really skimpy, but some others go almost down to the knee, and aren't very cut out at all at the chest, back, or armpits.

In my day in high school, we wore MMA type shorts over tights (leggings), no top. I do know of a top level high school coach who got practice singlets for his team to wear, so they would get comfortable wearing them. Looking at my high school yearbook years after I graduated, I saw my scrawny bare chest and realized why guys kept coming out trying to beat me off the team. They didn't last long. Wish I'd had my chest as an 18-year old in high school, i didn't turn 17 until mid-year. The fat kids are the ones that don't want to wear a singlet.

I've countered the "wrestling is gay", with no it's S & M. I am a sadistbon top, and the reason i tried to get off bottom quickly is i am not a masochist.

Only in the US would this even be discussed. If a kid is not wrestling because of the singlets, he probably should avoid the sport anyway because he's just using that as an excuse. I started wrestling when I was 7 years old and never once did I or any one of my teammates make any gay references to singlets.

Only in the US would this even be discussed. If a kid is not wrestling because of the singlets, he probably should avoid the sport anyway because he's just using that as an excuse. I started wrestling when I was 7 years old and never once did I or any one of my teammates make any gay references to singlets.

Not only in the USA

http://keepwrestlingintheolympics.com/