Sign in to follow this  
two-six

The traditional singlet....

Only in the US would this even be discussed. If a kid is not wrestling because of the singlets, he probably should avoid the sport anyway because he's just using that as an excuse. I started wrestling when I was 7 years old and never once did I or any one of my teammates make any gay references to singlets.

Not only in the USA

http://keepwrestlingintheolympics.com/

?? I don't see where it references anything about singlets.

them buttons in the crotch of the tank tops sucked when you had to go really bad.....

Yes they did suck !! 1st was the leggings, then the top with the snaps, all covered up by the skimpy little panties on the outside.

I've got a pic of me in those ....

th_Oldepic.jpg

Actually I liked having the leggings in HS. It was easier to scoot, and slide by .. Bare skin tends to "catch" or "stick" to the mat. The leggings didn't.

them buttons in the crotch of the tank tops sucked when you had to go really bad.....

Yup !! Took forever to get every thing on, and those snaps in the crotch were a pain. However I liked the leggings as it was easier to scoot and boot with them. Bare skin tended to stick to the mat, where the leggings really made it easy to "slide and glide" ...

th_Oldepic.jpg

Just don't understand this loathing of singlets. Is it because some guys are afraid to be seen as overweight, or because of someone's irrational homophobia based on a feeling that singlets are too revealing? If singlets are so damn revealing, then why do we never see models in them? Either way, this is irrational and silly.

That said, if fight shorts take over, so be it. Don't really care. However, there's more cloth to catch, and more to come undone, but some folks with body-image issues might like them better. Compression shorts are skimpy, too. I also think guys in singlets look more like superheroes from the comics than guys in leotards. Better superheroes than extras from a gangsta rap video.

There are also different kinds of singlets. Some freestyle singlets are really skimpy, but some others go almost down to the knee, and aren't very cut out at all at the chest, back, or armpits.

I don't think it's any of those things. I think it's the cut and the fact that they simply look ridiculous. As I've said before on here if comedians want to look absolutely ridiculous their uniform of choice is a singlet. Like Teague said, it's a freaking unitard.

I teach at the middle school and high school level and also coach at both levels. While the kids who have been wrestling their entire lives have little problem with the singlet, the people on the outside of the sport or potential future wrestlers are definitely turned off by the singlet. I can't tell you how many times I've heard it.

The biggest deterrent from our sport isn't weight cutting or how hard it is...it's the singlet hands down.

Just don't understand this loathing of singlets. Is it because some guys are afraid to be seen as overweight, or because of someone's irrational homophobia based on a feeling that singlets are too revealing? If singlets are so damn revealing, then why do we never see models in them? Either way, this is irrational and silly.

That said, if fight shorts take over, so be it. Don't really care. However, there's more cloth to catch, and more to come undone, but some folks with body-image issues might like them better. Compression shorts are skimpy, too. I also think guys in singlets look more like superheroes from the comics than guys in leotards. Better superheroes than extras from a gangsta rap video.

There are also different kinds of singlets. Some freestyle singlets are really skimpy, but some others go almost down to the knee, and aren't very cut out at all at the chest, back, or armpits.

I don't think it's any of those things. I think it's the cut and the fact that they simply look ridiculous. As I've said before on here if comedians want to look absolutely ridiculous their uniform of choice is a singlet. Like Teague said, it's a freaking unitard.

I teach at the middle school and high school level and also coach at both levels. While the kids who have been wrestling their entire lives have little problem with the singlet, the people on the outside of the sport or potential future wrestlers are definitely turned off by the singlet. I can't tell you how many times I've heard it.

The biggest deterrent from our sport isn't weight cutting or how hard it is...it's the singlet hands down.

No it is not.

It's the fact that the sport is one of the toughest and hardest sport we know. Singlet issues are just an excuse. IMO. Guys that want to wrestle have absolutely no problem with them. Now ... maybe it's a generational thing, cause back in the 60's and early 70's, guys had no issues with it, and the girls loved them !!!

Ummm of course it's a generational thing and it's not about being tough. I have many a kid on my team who are as tough as kids have ever been. In fact I'd bet in many ways they are tougher. They certainly train more. Old people like to believe that their era was the toughest, there are no doubt some really soft kids nowadays, but there are just as many bad asses.

If you were teaching wrestling to a gym class, and put two boxes in the locker room, one filled with singlets and the other with fight shorts and rashguards, how many would choose the singlets?

I suspect that not even the pro-singlet crowd on this board would choose the singlets. The only ones that might are the class clowns and foreign exchange students.

Ummm of course it's a generational thing and it's not about being tough. I have many a kid on my team who are as tough as kids have ever been. In fact I'd bet in many ways they are tougher. They certainly train more. Old people like to believe that their era was the toughest, there are no doubt some really soft kids nowadays, but there are just as many bad asses.

So how tough are they really, if they are so self conscious that they wont, or don't like to wear the standard uniform? They are embarrassed? Doesn't sound "tough" to me. Lack of confidence or shyness? Probably.

Singlets are the most efficient, and logical "uniform" available for our sport. Shorts and T-Shirts have been tried and didn't pass the litmus test, or they would be the "standard.

If in fact, the uniform, or the singlet is the reason a person will not wrestle .... is just an excuse. IMO. And you will never convince me otherwise.

They certainly train more. That may be the case ... yet at some point in time you need to step out on the mat and wrestle.... In a singlet. Weight room warriors ... And wrestlers are two different creatures.

If you were teaching wrestling to a gym class, and put two boxes in the locker room, one filled with singlets and the other with fight shorts and rashguards, how many would choose the singlets?

I suspect that not even the pro-singlet crowd on this board would choose the singlets. The only ones that might are the class clowns and foreign exchange students.

Well of coarse they will grab the shorts, or sweat pants .. I rarely if ever practiced and worked out in a singlet. The singlet was for "Matches or Duals", not PE or Gym class. The only time I used a singlet outside of dual meets, was in a wrestle off situation. Then we both would be in singlets, full head gear, clock and a coach as a ref etc ...

I competed semi recently (last 10 years) and coached high school after that and the only people I've heard make fun of the singlet were either intentionally trying to piss a wrestler off with that unitard garbage or maybe 8th graders/ freshman in HS asking about the sport who don't know any better.

I don't think it looks ridiculous at all, if you want to see ridiculous look at what wrestlers had to wear in other generations. WWE looking swimming trunks with bare chested rules, tights with buttons and clips and whatnots, etc, etc. Its a sport, thats the uniform that people want and it covers the body pretty completely.

If people did not like the singlet then we had the perfect opportunity for that change to happen. We had those weird looking tight two piecers a good amount of HS & college teams tested out a few years ago. The singlet is what people chose to wear instead.

Yeah i'm not sure what your point is wny. Did you practice in a singlet? I don't know anyone who did.

It's been discussed here many time before, but I think it's worth bringing up again.

Many of the discussions here talk about how some of our best High School athletes (and younger) choose other sports. This is especially true in larger towns (at least in my area). I have now heard dozens of these youngsters complain of the singlet. Is this a legit excuse for not trying wrestling?

Whether you are a fan of the traditional singlet or not, I don't understand why there can't at least be options.

MMA has plenty of wrestling and the different shorts they wear doesn't affect it too much. As far as grabbing onto the shorts, they allow socks .... (Matt Brown reference) :D

Other than tradition what is the reasoning for keeping the singlet? Remember the old BBall shorts? If kids still had to wear those I bet you would see a decline in BBall as well.

Are there any tournaments where this is optional?

I've never, ever, heard kids decline or choose not to wrestle because of the Singlets. PERIOD.

From my experience as a wrestler, a kids coach, and father of a wrestler, what turns off the uninitiated newcomer, or the kid on the sidelines who isn't sure if he wants to even wrestle, is (and always has been) the close physical contact that wrestling requires. How many times do we hear the comment 'Ewe .... you get all sweaty, and and have to "grab" him .... or comments of that nature. The close physical contact is the major turn off for the uninitiated.

Now ... having said that, they may use the Singlet as the excuse, because they don't want to be embarrassed because they are uncomfortable with the close contact wrestling requires.

Note: AND .. I actually saw several guys at our HS State Championships wearing leggings as well. I talked to one of them, and asked why? And he gave the same answer I eluded to in an earlier post. He liked the leggings as it kept his legs from sticking to the mat, on his leg shots.

The traditional singlet doesn't need to be changed in order to attract new wrestlers to participate. The participation in wrestling at the middle and high school levels is (I believe) at an all-time high. Anyone that says they wouldnt wrestle because of the singlet would give another excuse if the singlet didnt exist. Perhaps it's the close contact, perhaps it's because of moves like the "high crotch" or "ball and chain" or "Saturday night ride". Perhaps its the hard work, discipline, etc. Perhaps its the possibility/likelihood of contracting things like ring worm or herpes. Perhaps it's cutting weight, or watching wrestlers spit in bottles all day long before a match. But its not the singlet. I don't really understand why people wouldnt want to participate in the greatest sport in the world, but, in my experience, everyone that made fun of wrestlers wearing "unitards" or "onesies" respected the wrestlers' work ethic and would never have participated in the sport regardless.

That said - I believe the singlet is the most feasible uniform a wrestler could wear. It decreases the chances of a wrestler getting his hand caught in clothing, or a shirt riding up. I absolutely got my hand/fingers caught in someone's shirt in practice, and we often wore spandex and/or under armor skin tight shirts in practice to decrease this likelihood.

The traditional singlet doesn't need to be changed in order to attract new wrestlers to participate. The participation in wrestling at the middle and high school levels is (I believe) at an all-time high. Anyone that says they wouldnt wrestle because of the singlet would give another excuse if the singlet didnt exist. Perhaps it's the close contact, perhaps it's because of moves like the "high crotch" or "ball and chain" or "Saturday night ride". Perhaps its the hard work, discipline, etc. Perhaps its the possibility/likelihood of contracting things like ring worm or herpes. Perhaps it's cutting weight, or watching wrestlers spit in bottles all day long before a match. But its not the singlet. I don't really understand why people wouldnt want to participate in the greatest sport in the world, but, in my experience, everyone that made fun of wrestlers wearing "unitards" or "onesies" respected the wrestlers' work ethic and would never have participated in the sport regardless.

That said - I believe the singlet is the most feasible uniform a wrestler could wear. It decreases the chances of a wrestler getting his hand caught in clothing, or a shirt riding up. I absolutely got my hand/fingers caught in someone's shirt in practice, and we often wore spandex and/or under armor skin tight shirts in practice to decrease this likelihood.

+++ The singlet is just a convenient excuse, and if coaches do not realize this, then they need to wake up. If a kid uses that excuse, it's because of some other issue they may have with the sport. The largest percent of the time is .... It is not only the oldest sport, it is also on of the toughest sport known to man. PERIOD.

Particularly in HS, when we needed big guys. We always had a stable of little guys and middle weights as well. At the start of the season we would recruit like hell ... Football guys, 9 out of 10 folded within a week or so... Some were honest and just didn't like it.

The participation in wrestling at the middle and high school levels is (I believe) at an all-time high.

Actually, here are the numbers since 1970. There are more teams than ever, but the number per team is significantly smaller than in the 1970s.

Year Male Wrestlers Year Male Teams Year Avg per Teams

1970 226,681 1970 6870 1970 33.00

1972 265,039 1972 7587 1972 34.93

1974 319,048 1974 9130 1974 34.95

1976 355,160 1976 9772 1976 36.34

1977 355,160 1977 9772 1977 36.34

1978 338,328 1978 9653 1978 35.05

1979 281,704 1979 8683 1979 32.44

1980 273,326 1980 8751 1980 31.23

1981 245,026 1981 8512 1981 28.79

1982 256,107 1982 8869 1982 28.88

1983 254,581 1983 8272 1983 30.78

1984 248,300 1984 8273 1984 30.01

1985 244,598 1985 8722 1985 28.04

1986 247,653 1986 8724 1986 28.39

1987 251,281 1987 8426 1987 29.82

1988 246,771 1988 8358 1988 29.53

1989 242,064 1989 8839 1989 27.39

1990 233,856 1990 8416 1990 27.79

1991 230,673 1991 8404 1991 27.45

1992 229,908 1992 8392 1992 27.40

1993 222,025 1993 8438 1993 26.31

1994 223,433 1994 8538 1994 26.17

1995 216,453 1995 8559 1995 25.29

1996 221,162 1996 8677 1996 25.49

1997 227,596 1997 8738 1997 26.05

1998 229,176 1998 8900 1998 25.75

1999 235,973 1999 9022 1999 26.16

2000 239,105 2000 9046 2000 26.43

2001 244,984 2001 9404 2001 26.05

2002 244,637 2002 9578 2002 25.54

2003 239,845 2003 9543 2003 25.13

2004 238,700 2004 9526 2004 25.06

2005 243,009 2005 9562 2005 25.41

2006 251,534 2006 9744 2006 25.81

2007 257,346 2007 9445 2007 27.25

2008 259,688 2008 10090 2008 25.74

2009 267,378 2009 10311 2009 25.93

2010 272,890 2010 10363 2010 26.33

2011 273,732 2011 10407 2011 26.30

2012 272,149 2012 10407 2012 26.15

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsite/d ... f?sfvrsn=0

Wire - you may be right, I certainly don't coach at any level. Let me give you a scenario though that I have seen with two of my sons who wrestled.

Having friends who were in other sports (football and basketball) and being larger than my son who wrestled 103 (actually weighed around 90) he would challenge them all the time just so he could brag how he was beating up on the bigger guys. A couple times though there were some really talented kids that he and the coaches would try to convince them to go out. They hated the singlets. They never made fun of any of the wrestlers, but seemed to be insecure about wearing them.

Could it have been an excuse? Sure, even athletes from football may be intimidated by a tough wrestling practice, or the 1 vs 1 spotlight. You really don't think the singlet could be an issue though?

Some of you have covered an overweight guy and how it might make them feel, but my 11 year old weighs 70lbs and the singlet makes it look like 50 tops. He absolutely hates it. Doesn't stop him from wrestling, but I can imagine a kid without any wrestling in the family could have it sway their decision.

On the other hand, they both wear MMA style shorts during practice, at the gym, around the house, and about anywhere without an injury. If injury was a real risk I doubt they would be allowed anywhere. With the split side shorts it would be almost impossible to get caught up in them.

Can't say I really have much of an opinion one way or another, BUT, as a newspaper editor there have been times I've had to forego a good photo because it was ... let's just say too revealing, especially in the "placing round" white singlets. If said photos were published, I'm sure there would be even more "gay" remarks about the sports.

Can't say I really have much of an opinion one way or another, BUT, as a newspaper editor there have been times I've had to forego a good photo because it was ... let's just say too revealing, especially in the "placing round" white singlets. If said photos were published, I'm sure there would be even more "gay" remarks about the sports.

Well, if we really want to get into this, boxing Is the "gayest" sport because it involves two sweaty guys in their underwear fighting over a purse. :lol:

MidwestMat wrote:

This is true .. A few years ago, a Lehigh "Big Guy" not only had his pure White singlet on, he had it on Backward. With no Jock ... !!! He was celebrating with his arms up high and chest pumped up, and it was a sight to behold !!! Way too much detail for the viewing public.

This is true .. A few years ago, a Lehigh "Big Guy" not only had his pure White singlet on, he had it on Backward. With no Jock ... !!! He was celebrating with his arms up high and chest pumped up, and it was a sight to behold !!! Way too much detail for the viewing public.

This is true... remember the Kyle Dake championship photo that ran in the papers after he beat Molinaro a couple years back? Still makes me blush. :oops:

One simple fix to the singlet might be to just build a cup into the crotch area, or do SOMETHING to make it much less revealing. That seems to be a huge turn-off to kids wearing singlets.

Another idea - what if it was a compression shirt that snaps into shorts? That might take care of the bunching up or riding up? Or maybe design the singlet to look more like a tshirt up top and let kids wear shorts on the bottom.

Either way, the comparison to swimming, track, and gymnastics uniforms are probably unfair, since they give athletes direct performance advantages. It's not like wrestlers depend on singlets for speed or wind resistance or a better aesthetic for the judges' scoring. On the other hand, what do you all think would happen to basketball if all the teams suddenly switched up their uniforms to unitards/singlets? :D

Wrestling in a singlet certainly does give you some advantages over shorts and a T-shirt. Aesthetic appeal and performance advantages are why they moved away from the two pieces uniforms of the past in the first place. And if you don't want that "too much detail" effect, then wear under armor type shorts under the singlet, problem solved.

Comparison to other sports isn't unfair when you consider this whole discussion is about what people see when they watch the sport in action. Fans unfamiliar with swimming for example will just see how those tighty whitey style uniforms, not any performance tradeoffs. What we have is considerably less revealing.

@ Pamala

""This is true... remember the Kyle Dake championship photo that ran in the papers after he beat Molinaro a couple years back? Still makes me blush.""

My wife just went nuts when she saw the Dake photo !!! I can see his "wanker" !!! She exclaimed !! Back in the day we still wore a jock .. Nowadays the guys are going commando ... Which I don't think was the original intent.

Marketing your program is the best way to increase numbers. You can't be lazy and expect kids to "just come out". If you do a great job connecting with your younger kids and they really want to wrestle, they will come out regardless of the singlet or not.

Of course there are kids that say wrestling is gay because of the singlet, but in my experience, those kids are just using that as an excuse not to work hard. Those are the same ones that goof off in gym class. If the kid is a serious athlete and has the desire to be good, he will wear whatever you get them.

Do you think swimming has this same problem getting little boys and girls to swim? Nope

I don't quite understand this love affair with singlets. Around me, teams struggle to fill all the weights. If there's something that might help, it's worth a try. Sure, many kids poke who fun of singlets still won't give the sport a try. But there is certainly a population of kids who would come out if the uniforms looked cool. And fight shorts look cool, do they not?

I'm thinking now that the singlet should be used as a thin base layer (a la Under Armour) over which fight shorts and rash guards are worn. Perhaps the singlet material should be non-lycra (or some other tactful material) making it less slippery to help keep the rash guard from riding up.

If a forward-thinking manufacturer with marketing power created such a 3-piece uniform and got it approved, immediately you'd see teams switching to them and it would soon prove (or disprove) whether or not singlets are an issue. Personally, I think Jr/Sr High School participation rates would go up, maybe, 5-10 athletes per team on average. For colleges, I doubt if participation went up, but they'd make a pretty penny selling competition fight shorts and shirts to their fans. I know I'd own a pair or two from my former college.