Sign in to follow this  
two-six

The traditional singlet....

Colleges already make money off of selling fight shorts. Also, my high school kids love singlets. Heck, they were them around school during Homecoming week (this is a little weird, but all wrestlers are a little of the straight arrow).

Flo has made "bulgin" a thing. Some of the stuff they retweet on that is pretty funny.

I don't quite understand this love affair with singlets. Around me, teams struggle to fill all the weights. If there's something that might help, it's worth a try. Sure, many kids poke who fun of singlets still won't give the sport a try. But there is certainly a population of kids who would come out if the uniforms looked cool. And fight shorts look cool, do they not?

I'm thinking now that the singlet should be used as a thin base layer (a la Under Armour) over which fight shorts and rash guards are worn. Perhaps the singlet material should be non-lycra (or some other tactful material) making it less slippery to help keep the rash guard from riding up.

If a forward-thinking manufacturer with marketing power created such a 3-piece uniform and got it approved, immediately you'd see teams switching to them and it would soon prove (or disprove) whether or not singlets are an issue. Personally, I think Jr/Sr High School participation rates would go up, maybe, 5-10 athletes per team on average. For colleges, I doubt if participation went up, but they'd make a pretty penny selling competition fight shorts and shirts to their fans. I know I'd own a pair or two from my former college.

I agree!!!

http://keepwrestlingintheolympics.com/

I'm thinking now that the singlet should be used as a thin base layer (a la Under Armour) over which fight shorts and rash guards are worn. Perhaps the singlet material should be non-lycra (or some other tactful material) making it less slippery to help keep the rash guard from riding up.

We already tried this a few years back, and it went by the wayside.

The NCAA did approve the two piece for awhile and forward thinking coaches like Tom Ryan immediately adopted it. The problem was they were not approved for high school. They should have tried them at the HS level first and then let it trickle up to the NCAA level. Kids who already wrestled at the NCAA level don't have a problem with the singlet. It's the MS and HS kids who we need to cater to.

What are you talking about? The double? That was a gayer uniform than the singlet! Instead of fight shorts, it consisted of tiny, tight, short-shorts that didn't look unlike girls volleyball shorts. Kids don't want to wear those around! I'm surprised anyone bought them.

The reason the "double" went away wasn't because it was "gayer" than a singlet. it kept many performance advantages of singlets but didn't have too much detail or skin showing as some on here have complained about.

Yet people still ignored it and kept using the singlet, because they like the singlet.

Why does our competition uniform suddenly have to be something middle school kids want to buy and wear to school? They wear baggy jeans and hard rock hoodies to school, we don't want to mimic that fashion sense.

"I don't quite understand this love affair with singlets. Around me, teams struggle to fill all the weights. If there's something that might help, it's worth a try. Sure, many kids poke who fun of singlets still won't give the sport a try. But there is certainly a population of kids who would come out if the uniforms looked cool. And fight shorts look cool, do they not?

If a forward-thinking manufacturer with marketing power created such a 3-piece uniform and got it approved, immediately you'd see teams switching to them and it would soon prove (or disprove) whether or not singlets are an issue. Personally, I think Jr/Sr High School participation rates would go up, maybe, 5-10 athletes per team on average. For colleges, I doubt if participation went up, but they'd make a pretty penny selling competition fight shorts and shirts to their fans. I know I'd own a pair or two from my former college."

And I don't understand your singlet phobia. It is absolutely absurd to think that participation rates would go up by 5-10 guys just by changing to fight shorts. Guys who start wrestling because they think the uniforms look cool are the guys who drop out after two weeks because it takes too much work and too much sacrifice to be a wrestler. Teams struggle to fill weights because wrestling is HARD. It's not a fashion show. It's a function show. Everything on a wrestler should be functional. Head gear doesn't look so cool either, but I wish my old ears had fewer lumps in them. Head gear is functional.

Adding many layers would be too hot. Not good. Traditional wrestlers like the Turks, the Mongolians, Sumo, and the Senegalese actually wear LESS clothing than the singlet, and are more revealing. These styles have been around for hundreds of years. The ancient Greeks (the original Olympians ...) wrestled naked, didn't they?

Styles come and styles go. Personally, I think that fight shorts make kids look like thugs. Remember when kids wore their pants down around their butt? Now they'll wear their fight shorts down around their butt. Ridiculous. Once again, this desire to eliminate the singlet is either fueled by somebody's misplaced homophobia, or a collective body image problem in a time of rampant obesity. Don't buy in to other people's issues.

by AnklePicker » Apr 22nd, '13, 11:28

The NCAA did approve the two piece for awhile and forward thinking coaches like Tom Ryan immediately adopted it. The problem was they were not approved for high school. They should have tried them at the HS level first and then let it trickle up to the NCAA level. Kids who already wrestled at the NCAA level don't have a problem with the singlet. It's the MS and HS kids who we need to cater to.

I wondered the same thing when they tried it in D1, and not HS. And the only conclusion was $$$ for High Schools. Most HS's just don't have the money. I know the coaches locally were talking about it, yet never implemented it. Maybe it was never approved for HS.

I think they would have allowed it in HS if teams asked the state athletic organizations for a uniform exemption. But against there was too little a demand for it at the HS level to warrant schools spending all that money on something that might be a passing fad.

My town was not poor by any measure but I remember the team would still keep the exact same singlets going for many many seasons before needing to buy new. When we did get brand new singlets I know they weren't cheap at all. I can only imagine how asking to buy a bunch of new "doubles" as well would have appealed to the school.

Only in the US would this even be discussed. If a kid is not wrestling because of the singlets, he probably should avoid the sport anyway because he's just using that as an excuse. I started wrestling when I was 7 years old and never once did I or any one of my teammates make any gay references to singlets.

My son is 4 and thinks 2 of the coolest thing he owns are his singlet(s)

What are you talking about? The double? That was a gayer uniform than the singlet! Instead of fight shorts, it consisted of tiny, tight, short-shorts that didn't look unlike girls volleyball shorts. Kids don't want to wear those around! I'm surprised anyone bought them.

Interesting take because this is essentially what many NCAA teams wear for team practice gear.