fadzaev2

Jordan Burroughs/commentator

4 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Jordan Burroughs is as good behind the microphone as he is on the mat.  Great for our sport on and off the mat!!  Fadz

I agree. I have enjoyed his commentary, both in studio and matside, very much. He occasionally gets caught being a bit cliched, but I think that is an experience thing. As he gets experienced he will be even cleaner in his delivery. I feel like he is setting himself up well for his life after the wrestling is over.

7 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Jordan Burroughs is as good behind the microphone as he is on the mat.  Great for our sport on and off the mat!!  Fadz

You are right he is an excellent commentator and I hope he is used by broadcasters for both the international events and for college commentary once he is done competing and has the time.

Jordan is just detached enough to provide good insight without “coaching”.

Also, you can see his in-studio appearances are getting much better. His first day, he was doing a lot of reading directly from his notes. Now, he’s looking at the co-host or the camera 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Burroughs is great. John Smith seems to start coaching the athletes while calling the matches. I find it annoying, but maybe that’s just me. 

I noticed the same thing. Smith is coaching from the commentator chair. But I love it rather than find it annoying.

i have not listened to JB yet this olympics...

i don't get that feed with how i am watching it...

i did listen to most of his appearance on the JRE and the impression i got out of that was he is very interested in his brand and how to continue it and fitting the mold in however he has to...

plus, he is a pretty bright guy... i can see him doing well at whatever and commentating no different...

now...

uncle john...

i cringe when i have had to listen to him...

his personality type does not lend itself well to appealing to the viewers...

the same reason i think his coaching results have declined...

Love JB
Love John. (I'm from Oklahoma though so he just sounds like the guys who coached me)

Ive really enjoyed the commentary. Gimme these goes over the NCAA crew anyday

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

29 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Love JB
Love John. (I'm from Oklahoma though so he just sounds like the guys who coached me)

Ive really enjoyed the commentary. Gimme these goes over the NCAA crew anyday

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

maybe Frank should be announcing so we can all enjoy his wisdom and not just you spladle ;)

There goes a saying: “scared money don’t make no money.”

At one point, Jordan began quoting this, hesitated a moment, and instead said, “scared money doesn’t make any money.” I think he’ll be the perfect commentator once he doesn’t second guess himself in moments like that. Been a real pleasure hearing him commentate.

maybe Frank should be announcing so we can all enjoy his wisdom and not just you spladle ;)
2 more sleeps and I'll be free of his torturous reign.

But also #WarChamizo
But also

If@Frank_Rizzo was here, he'd 100% jam another sig bet right up my arse with this Chamizo vs Dake Semi .... Glad he's MIA, hope it wasn't Covid and just lotto winnings

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I noticed the same thing. Smith is coaching from the commentator chair. But I love it rather than find it annoying.

To me it would be like a baseball announcer telling the batter to swing as the pitch is coming in, or a football announcer telling the QB to throw to WR2. 

8 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

But also #WarChamizo
But also

If@Frank_Rizzo was here, he'd 100% jam another sig bet right up my arse with this Chamizo vs Dake Semi .... Glad he's MIA, hope it wasn't Covid and just lotto winnings

This is why Dake with a gold is manifest destiny. You've gotten the outcome wrong for his recent matches how many times in a row now? WarChamizo, indeed!

26 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

But also #WarChamizo
But also

He is around. He offered me a bet the other day that I was wise enough not to accept. Be careful not to say his name three times, btw.

man I love listening to smith, from the accent to the coaching.  its interesting to me because you're hearing fairly simple things he is coaching on.  just like the NFL - the athletes are already advanced enough, if a coach can add just 5% to the equation it helps.  This sounds silly to say but I think coaching middle schoolers is more "intensive" than coaching a senior level athlete due to the lack of knowledge.  hope that makes sense.

the only thing that bugs me is lack of knowledge on the freestyle rules here and there.  its like he is so intrenched in folkstyle he sometime forgets the small differences

36 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He is around. He offered me a bet the other day that I was wise enough not to accept. Be careful not to say his name three times, btw.

You were wise.  

@spladle08 You've been a good sport.  Also, I hate to disappoint you, but Chamizo stands no chance against Dake.  If you want to learn your lesson again on this point, let me know.     

2 hours ago, LJB said:

i have not listened to JB yet this olympics...

i don't get that feed with how i am watching it...

i did listen to most of his appearance on the JRE and the impression i got out of that was he is very interested in his brand and how to continue it and fitting the mold in however he has to...

plus, he is a pretty bright guy... i can see him doing well at whatever and commentating no different...

now...

uncle john...

i cringe when i have had to listen to him...

his personality type does not lend itself well to appealing to the viewers...

the same reason i think his coaching results have declined...

I think the Olympic Channel has been pretty good (which usually has Burroughs/Smith).   They show all the American matches of course and sometimes will do split screens.  Easier for me than following multiple screens especially if I'm trying to multitask for work.

2 hours ago, moodybooty said:

There goes a saying: “scared money don’t make no money.”

At one point, Jordan began quoting this, hesitated a moment, and instead said, “scared money doesn’t make any money.” I think he’ll be the perfect commentator once he doesn’t second guess himself in moments like that. Been a real pleasure hearing him commentate.

I think it was John Smith who mangled the good line; JB said it right.

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Burroughs is great. John Smith seems to start coaching the athletes while calling the matches. I find it annoying, but maybe that’s just me. 

I noticed this - but don't mind it.  Seems like good coaching!

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Does anyone know what JB plans to do in the future, after he’s done competing?

I think he will train with the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center in Philadelphia (Penn and Drexel rooms) and continue to compete.

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Yes, said the same thing last night! John is coaching and Jordan is commentating! At first John was annoying but after thinking about it I thought he was doing what he is used to by being in the corner and Jordan is being an observer.

Two different perspectives which is good.

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

I think he will train with the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center in Philadelphia (Penn and Drexel rooms) and continue to compete.

Right. But after that? I suppose there’s no reason for him to formulate long-term plans in public.