Sign in to follow this  
TwosackJon

2014 Hodge?

Taylor?

Ruth?

St. John? I think he rises significantly above Green, Alton, Napoli, Demas next year.

Ramos and Stieber will most likely keep each other from getting it.

Who else looks like a front runner that I am missing?

Is Howe back? at 65 or 74?

Taylor and Ruth are probably the leading candidates. Nobody came all that close to beating Ruth this year, and it's hard to imagine that changing next year. Taylor destroyed most of his competition this past year, with the exception of Dake. Unless Howe wrestles 165 next year, it's hard to see Taylor not running the table, and even if Howe enters 165, I'd still have Taylor as the favorite.

DSJ deserves mention, but I'd have (in random order) Logan Stieber, Tony Ramos, Kendric Maple rated above him, and Tony Nelson about equal in terms of consideration. If Stieber moves up a class, as rumored, then Maple and he will be at the same weight, so one will probably cancel out the other.

Chris Perry, Jesse Delgado, and Nico will probably be in the running as well. Delgado and Nico could knock each other out of the running, unless one of them wins all of their matchups. Perry stands a chance, but 174 is so competitive that it's hard to imagine anybody coming out of that class undefeated.

I would say Taylor, stieber and Ruth are the top 3 candidates in no particular order. They're all above the rest right now IMO, and close to each other in overall bonus match wins. If I could choose, I'd say Ruth next year and stieber the next. It would be a shame for either of those two to not get a hodge at one point in their college careers.

I can't see dsj as a front contender for the hodge, his style is wrestle close and win but he doesn't dominate like the others. I actually think green will improve much further than dsj (I think he's already better watching them wrestle at b1g) ever will, but again that's just my opinion.

If Ruth and Stieber both win again, it will be the third title for each. As Ruth is the senior, I'd expect him to get it. Both dominated this year at an extraordinary level with Stieber twice defeating the superb Ramos and Ruth never being challenged. Taylor is also brilliant but it will only be title #2. No way he gets it over Ruth (all things being equal).

OldMarine-One thing we know for certain is if Dake can get this extra year he will be a pretty heavy underdog against Taylor. That much we can be sure of, just poll the guys on this board they'll tell you how they'd take Taylor in a hypothetical match against Dake.

Silver-All things are not equal. Ruth is by far the best guy in collegiate wrestling. Ok so that's a touch of hyperbole but it's Ruth, Steiber, and then Taylor and it's not all that close. I know it will not happen (for multiple reasons) but if Taylor had the stones to go up to 74 and beat Howe (providing he's 100% healthy) that would go a long way in my mind. Same thing applies if Howe went down to 65, though after the drubbing last time I don't think it's Howe who has something to prove. Point is if Taylor beat Howe I'd be the first one to give him his due. Won't happen and Ruth is the best guy in college period.

Taylor and Ruth are probably the leading candidates. Nobody came all that close to beating Ruth this year, and it's hard to imagine that changing next year. Taylor destroyed most of his competition this past year, with the exception of Dake. Unless Howe wrestles 165 next year, it's hard to see Taylor not running the table, and even if Howe enters 165, I'd still have Taylor as the favorite.

DSJ deserves mention, but I'd have (in random order) Logan Stieber, Tony Ramos, Kendric Maple rated above him, and Tony Nelson about equal in terms of consideration. If Stieber moves up a class, as rumored, then Maple and he will be at the same weight, so one will probably cancel out the other.

Chris Perry, Jesse Delgado, and Nico will probably be in the running as well. Delgado and Nico could knock each other out of the running, unless one of them wins all of their matchups. Perry stands a chance, but 174 is so competitive that it's hard to imagine anybody coming out of that class undefeated.

Forgot how Howe steam rolled passed Taylor; oh ya freestyle doesnt count :o

After three consecutive seasons with three national titles, and 0 defeats Ruth will get the Hodge without question, no matter how much Taylor dominates everyone in his weight class. This time around the Hodge will take into account past season performances, as if they haven't already.

After three consecutive seasons with three national titles, and 0 defeats Ruth will get the Hodge without question, no matter how much Taylor dominates everyone in his weight class. This time around the Hodge will take into account past season performances, as if they haven't already.

+1

Two losses his entire career and a three timer and was dominating most. I think that gets Ruth into elite category just under the greatest of all time guys. Taylor will be a notch below. Ruth wins Hodge. Now if there was someone even close to him which it is possible-no one saw M Schultz bumping up and taking out Banach either. Or Delgado bumping up and taking out Steiber:-)

Two losses his entire career and a three timer and was dominating most. I think that gets Ruth into elite category just under the greatest of all time guys. Taylor will be a notch below. Ruth wins Hodge. Now if there was someone even close to him which it is possible-no one saw M Schultz bumping up and taking out Banach either. Or Delgado bumping up and taking out Steiber:-)

All of that and a 7th seed at the US Open.

84 kilos:

1. Keith Gavin, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)

2. Max Askren, Hartland, Wis. (New York AC/Titan Mercury WC)

3. Phil Keddy, Iowa City, Iowa (Hawkeye WC)

4. Jon Reader, Ames, Iowa (Sunkist Kids/Cyclone WC)

5. Austin Trotman, Boone, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC)

6. Clayton Foster, Laramie, Wyo. (Cowboy WC/GRIT Athletics)

7. Ed Ruth, Harrisburg, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)

8. Cam Simaz, Ithaca, N.Y. (Finger Lakes WC)

9. Mike Pucillo, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)

10. Kurt Brenner (Mountaineer WC)

Taylor a notch below Ruth? Really ??? Taylor got caught in NCAA finals as a freshman, which most believe was a fluke and his only other losses are extremely tight matches to a guy people are considering top 3 all time .. No doubt that Ruth is a beast, but sorry he does not deserve to be rated more elite than Taylor.

have to agree there, although Ruth,was never pinned,not sure he has ever even given up BP, but DT is still is the same catagory, Ruth had a bad ending to his freshman season also. Ruth has never had to deal with a Dake caliber wrestler. I say forget about the past when picking next years hodge, chances are Steiber,Taylor and Ruth will all be undefeated,along with Howe(if he goes 174 ). Then they will just have to follow their very clearcut criteria. My early pick is gonna be Ruth,I see him with his best season so far,which means pinning everyone is a serious possibility.

on second thought,the chances of Steiber beating Ramos 3 more times next year are pretty slim. Ramos has to know now for sure that he can beat him and probably will next year, might not be in the finals,as Steiber always finds a sleeping ref for those matches, but I do think Ramos will take 1 or 2 from him.

wrestling17601 calm down bro, what are you DT's dad? Yes, Ruth is a notch above Taylor. On the mat and historically (resume).

choxfan-I think there is a real good chance Steiber is at 41. I hope to christ he is because I'm an Iowa fan and I don't think Ramos will ever beat Steiber. I'd really like to see Tony get a title.

While it is likely that Ruth will end up with a better "historical" resume I don't think it is a given that he is better on the mat than Taylor. If Taylor ends up with 2 titles and 4 finals appears he will have 1 less title than Ruth but Ruth will not be in that 4x finalist club. So they will end up being pretty close IMO if they both run the table.

*EDIT* and I wonder if the guys who say we should not count Cael as undefeated will be adding in Ruth's 3 redshirt season loses to his record? I know I won't be.

Kind of hard to get pinned in the finals when you're watching it from the stands...

I was never pinned in the finals.

neither was i.

on second thought,the chances of Steiber beating Ramos 3 more times next year are pretty slim. Ramos has to know now for sure that he can beat him and probably will next year, might not be in the finals,as Steiber always finds a sleeping ref for those matches, but I do think Ramos will take 1 or 2 from him.

your right, his 0-5 record assures him of a victory next year. His two takedowns in five matches shows the gap has officially been closed? how can you take yourself seriously