Sign in to follow this  
Perry

I really enjoyed the Kyle Dake is the Future of 74kg Era

Unfortunate as it is. If 2 out of the 4 biggest tournaments in your sport don't have a weight class that you compete in while other weight classes are in all 4, then it does diminish  the prestige of winning in that weight class.

Modern wrestling has been  so tied to the olympics for so long. 

11 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

O2?  He wasn't out there long enough to gas.

Something looked off, like a bad weight cut or something. Not to take anything away from the Dagestani—he was tough.

Edited by saiyan

Dake got unraveled.  Hopefully he can come out of that to repechage and regroup.   I'm not a serious Dake fan but I did not expect that.  He got murdered out there.  The lower weight must be hard for him to maintain.  He did not look great in his first match and looked worse the second match. 

mspart

It's easy to second guess everything after a loss but in hindsight, was it the best idea to bring Yianni as a training partner? Having a larger training partner (like a vaccinated Dean, (dreaming, I know)) would probably have been better for keeping him honest in positions requiring significant power. I have to assume he just has his way with Yianni, especially in the positions he was outclassed in today.

I didn't read it as panic. 

He actively inserted himself in high-risk situations and lost. He could have went more conservative after the first fail and took his time from there, but instead he doubled down. He bet on himself. It wasn't desperation that put him there. 

I wonder what he was communicating at 4:40 in the match. He gestured to the ref for "time", then rubbed the back of his head a little and went back to center. Dake talks to refs regularly, so I doubt it's a thing.

I'd rather believe that he was out performed than bellieve he wasn't all there. 

6 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

I didn't see the match (in the middle of an online class).  Did the opponent basically find a weakness and exploit?

I think he found out he was 11 points better than Dake. Also better at every exchange.

It's as if he was so focused on beating one guy for most of his career that he forgot how to wrestle anybody else. Unbelievably  bad performance. AS some have said, it was brutal to watch, to say the least. I wonder if he can rebound from this for the worlds and if we'll ever see him at 74 kg again. He looked very sucked out against the Iranian. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It's as if he was so focused on beating one guy for most of his career that he forgot how to wrestle anybody else. Unbelievably  bad performance. AS some have said, it was brutal to watch, to say the least. I wonder if he can rebound from this for the worlds and if we'll ever see him at 74 kg again. He looked very sucked out against the Iranian. 

I don’t know man he did best other quality opponents to win two world medals at 79kgs. I think it’s mostly the cut and getting caught off guard. I’m not saying he’d win a rematch. But I believe we saw the worst case scenario of that match up.

Just now, Grecojones said:

I don’t know man he did best other quality opponents to win two world medals at 79kgs. I think it’s mostly the cut and getting caught off guard. I’m not saying he’d win a rematch. But I believe we saw the worst case scenario of that match up.

Also, we as a collective have under-appreciated kadzimahamedov a boatload.  That dude put it on Chamizo.  

3 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

I get it. I meant that's how it felt to watch that match. He looked dazed and confused, lost.