Grecojones

Discussion thread for 65kg (m), 97kg (m), and 50kg (w)

2 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

You must have missed Gillmans first round 

Lol nah I saw it, Gilman bronze was a pleasant surprise, Dake has been chasing hardware for the better part of a decade.  Chamizo is also the most unpredictable wrestler in the tournament. 

Just now, TripNSweep said:

My feed died. Anybody else got this problem?

yeah, i had to scramble to get on the ol’ cable package.  The entire site i’d been watching from got taken down i think…

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Is this the first Olympic medal in wrestling from a Cornell alum? Has to be, right?

What, you don't remember Charles Ackerly's 1920 gold medal? ;-)

Dake is the first Cornellian to make the Olympic team since Dave Auble in 1964 and the first medalist in 100 years.

I figured Snyder's best shot for a gold was in a few months when the drug test results come back, but after seeing Taylor and Steveson's amazing performances, I think Snyder does it tomorrow morning.

7 hours ago, Axe_Spartan said:

WTF? 10 points and the match doesn't end?

They always do that - If the leading wrestler gets to 10 and the trailing guy scores in the same sequence (ie a gut and then a step over) the match will continue.  If you want to see a match where that actually makes a difference watch the 1st round 125 kg match between Kazakhstan and Germany.  It was rather hilarious unless your from Kazakhstan.

16 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

The ref was ready to give that match to Haji Aliev. Then he realized where he was at. LOL

Man no joke, two cautions within 5 seconds, that was very close to highway robbery.

It remains my least favorite part of this scoring structure that the personality and whims of referees  an influence a match so much.

Edited by Drew87

Just now, Drew87 said:

I hate to say it, Kyle snyder is a physical beast who is relatively a technical simpleton.

100%

He went low ankle to Sad’s left leg back to back shots and got exposed. Didn’t take any other decent shot to his right leg. 

1 minute ago, MizzouGrad said:

Sad is way too technical. Completely controlled that match from start to finish. 

Kyle shooting twice to the exact same spot and getting exposed was not smart. 

I can’t recall the last time i’ve seen him try to finish back door on anybody, it’s like he’s never pulled his knees under himself before.