Grecojones

Discussion thread for 65kg (m), 97kg (m), and 50kg (w)

2 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Dude, just wow. It’s okay to stop doubling and tripling down at this point. 

Dude, “they call him the russian tank” and he was wrestling “captain america”

Is that not very obvious?  

Just now, Drew87 said:

I’m choosing to believe that snyder still has hope in the future, not that he was sadulaev’s brandon slay.

Ouch. Snyder is World and Olympic Champ. And Slay . . . What did Saitiev say? Something like, "He was there and then he was gone." 

1 minute ago, jackwebster said:

Ouch. Snyder is World and Olympic Champ. And Slay . . . What did Saitiev say? Something like, "He was there and then he was gone." 

An imperfect analogy, I couldn’t think of any other recent american vs russian one and done’s.  Am I forgetting some obvious ones (not named rulon)?

3 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I’m not sure how much kyle snyder you’ve been watching in the past few years, it has been a while since he’s been at peak peak form.  He used to maul everyone. “Maul, I tell you.”

He also used to be even bigger than he is now.  

I’m choosing to believe that snyder still has hope in the future, not that he was sadulaev’s brandon slay.

1) Not even true. He took losses in international competition his whole career outside of worlds. Abbas Tahan, Alborov, and Varner. There was a Russian at Yarygin. I'm pretty sure I'm missing another one. He's never lost to a non-olympic champion at the world championships though. His worst result is a loss to Sharifov (who has owned J'Den btw).

2) Are you aware of the switch in weigh in rules? He almost certainly has to be smaller because he only has a couple hours to rehydrate off the scale. That's not a wrestling critique.

3) He probably will be the only one to beat a prime Sadulaev, but he's not Brandon Slay. He won world and olympic titles over greats like Gadisov and Gayzumov. You can cry all you want, but the reality is that Sadulaev is just better than Snyder because he's better than everybody. I think he's probably the greatest we've ever seen. Saitiev had longevity, but he took way more losses in that span than Sadulaev has and wasn't as dominant.

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

1) Not even true. He took losses in international competition his whole career outside of worlds. Abbas Tahan, Alborov, and Varner. There was a Russian at Yarygin. I'm pretty sure I'm missing another one. He's never lost to a non-olympic champion at the world championships though. His worst result is a loss to Sharifov (who has owned J'Den btw).

2) Are you aware of the switch in weigh in rules? He almost certainly has to be smaller because he only has a couple hours to rehydrate off the scale. That's not a wrestling critique.

3) He probably will be the only one to beat a prime Sadulaev, but he's not Brandon Slay. He won world and olympic titles over greats like Gadisov and Gayzumov. You can cry all you want, but the reality is that Sadulaev is just better than Snyder because he's better than everybody. I think he's probably the greatest we've ever seen. Saitiev had longevity, but he took way more losses in that span than Sadulaev has and wasn't as dominant.

Boltokaev, forgot about him.  

Slay was an admittedly imperfect analogy, but I can’t think of another american wrestler with a one-off hallmark win over the top top russian at the time.

If the gap really is that big and snyder was at his best, then that’s just the reality of it, and snyder will never win a world/olympic gold medal again most likely.

I offer my criticism from a place of belief that he can win gold again.