Sign in to follow this  
nom

Taylor Olympic GOLD medal match

Four Olympic champs now at NLWC. That is legend to itself. That is over 1/2 the Olympic champs since 2000 at one club. That is simply not fair. 

Sanderson

Varner

Snyder

Taylor

Cejudo

Slay

Gardner

Burroughs

11 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Four Olympic champs now at NLWC. That is legend to itself. That is over 1/2 the Olympic champs since 2000 at one club. That is simply not fair. 

Sanderson

Varner

Snyder

Taylor

Cejudo

Slay

Gardner

Burroughs

And two are at the other PA RTC. PA is hoarding Olympic talent.

It seems as if Yazdani was content to conserve energy by not touching DT's legs.  No real offense of his own other than underhook pushouts.  He was still more tired than DT but not as exhausted as the previous two battles.

21 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

It seems as if Yazdani was content to conserve energy by not touching DT's legs.  No real offense of his own other than underhook pushouts.  He was still more tired than DT but not as exhausted as the previous two battles.

Honestly not a bad strategy… he doesn’t want to force a shot and get in a scramble with DT. So stay with the bread and butter Iranian undertook and push out. Maybe DT gets impatient, makes a mistake and then he can capitalize with a takedown. A few years ago I think DT would have gotten frustrated at not scoring enough and tried something ill advised. Now he’s matured, wrestled patiently, and got the takedown when he needed it! Really a great match by both wrestlers. 

13 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Honestly not a bad strategy… he doesn’t want to force a shot and get in a scramble with DT. So stay with the bread and butter Iranian undertook and push out. Maybe DT gets impatient, makes a mistake and then he can capitalize with a takedown. A few years ago I think DT would have gotten frustrated at not scoring enough and tried something ill advised. Now he’s matured, wrestled patiently, and got the takedown when he needed it! Really a great match by both wrestlers. 

I think it was a great strategy and he should stick with it moving forward too. In what other position can he beat DT?

2 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

amazing performance DT!!

hvr, DT should not have been put on the clock in the first, he fired off multiple shots. In fact, i'm not sure Yaz even attempted a leg attack the entire 6 mins.

Passivity and the shot clock are not determined by leg attacks. This isn't folkstyle.

Of course these guys are incredible wrestlers and can do things most humans could never think of doing. That said, after all of the subtle back-and-forth in the match, I was surprised to see that DT got the takedown with Yazdani caught on his heels with a straight shot double leg right to his butt. Nothing super fancy; nothing incredibly awe-inspiring; just a textbook double leg to the opponent's butt. Its simplicity was a thing of beauty.

22 minutes ago, npope said:

Of course these guys are incredible wrestlers and can do things most humans could never think of doing. That said, after all of the subtle back-and-forth in the match, I was surprised to see that DT got the takedown with Yazdani caught on his heels with a straight shot double leg right to his butt. Nothing super fancy; nothing incredibly awe-inspiring; just a textbook double leg to the opponent's butt. Its simplicity was a thing of beauty.

Taylor’s timing on that double as the clock ticked down is what won him the match. His window of opportunity was tiny, and he nailed it.  I would analogize it to Steph Curry winning a game by nailing a long three. 

Edited by Katie

15 minutes ago, npope said:

Agreed and I think that's party of the beauty, don't think Yaz was expecting it either. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

I agree that Taylor's wrestling has matured. I think both guys came in with great game plans. Taylor looked like he was ready to weather an early storm from Yaz like in the previous two meetings, hoping to limit any points and wear him down with heavy hands. Yaz knew he had to conserve energy to hold off a late flurry from Taylor. In the end, Taylor got Yaz just tired enough to relax with less than 20 seconds to go and hit a beautiful, Burroughs-esque double for the win.

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I agree on all points.

Attacking DT must be like attacking a wave - he's so fluid that you know he's gonna end up all over you when you try. 

I put this somewhere else, but I doubt anyone wants to discuss it there. 

It could still use a Byzantine halo around the part attached to the ribbon, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my interpretation. 

Way to go, Magic Man. USA, Ohio and PA, we're all proud!

Also, I've been puzzled by broadcasts saying he's from Nevada. 

David.Taylor.Gold.1.jpg

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

Agreed and I think that's party of the beauty, don't think Yaz was expecting it either. 

On Twitter, Dan Sweeney (who has a BJJ background) commented on Taylor's double using a camera angle I hadn't seen before:

• Check out David Taylor's footwork on this double leg. He enters w/ ankle pick mechanics, brings back knee forward as he reaches for other leg, drives again (off front leg this time) to get hips in, then steps w/ left foot to change angle + bring his hips even closer. Masterful. Video here.
Edited by Katie

8 minutes ago, Katie said:

On Twitter, Dan Sweeney (who has a BJJ background) commented on Taylor's double using a camera angle I hadn't seen before:

• Check out David Taylor's footwork on this double leg. He enters w/ ankle pick mechanics, brings back knee forward as he reaches for other leg, drives again (off front leg this time) to get hips in, then steps w/ left foot to change angle + bring his hips even closer. Masterful. Video here.

I think that is a double from a previous match (Belarus).

You can find video on YouTube of Taylor showing kids how he uses his ankle pick to set up doubles. Singles.  Front headlocks.  He's drilled it a million times. Worth a watch.

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Totally off topic: i just listened to the Jacob Newby interview w/ Mat Boss. He hasn't watched wrestling in 20 years and didn't know Slay won an Olympuc gold.

I just listened to that too.  I have to say I’m increasingly unimpressed with J. Smith as a coach.  Yeah his guys are good, but the amount of respect and loyalty he DOESN’T engender from his athletes and former athletes is remarkable.  Seems like he basically gets good guys bc of his athletic career, and then esposito must recruit well enough to keep smith’s personality and expectations under wraps until guys sign. You’re either a bulk job or a shrink job at OSU, but you can be guaranteed you won’t enjoy yourself and you won’t be comfortable, and you’ll probably need three surgeries to get through college.

Compared to the way Gable handled his athletes and the way they ALL still talk about his intensity but also his interest in each of his guys, absolutely night and day.

8 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Compared to the way Gable handled his athletes and the way they ALL still talk about his intensity but also his interest in each of his guys, absolutely night and day.

I get the feeling that there's some weird Stockholm Sydrome stuff w/ Iowa under Brands. I'm not sure what special ingredient they added to Gable's Kool-Aid, but guys like college Metcalf and Gilman seem different from the Barry Davis at the 7-11 with a bag of doughnuts.

Edited by jackwebster

15 hours ago, DuckFor2 said:

amazing performance DT!!

hvr, DT should not have been put on the clock in the first, he fired off multiple shots. In fact, i'm not sure Yaz even attempted a leg attack the entire 6 mins.

Yada yada shots =/= maintain superior wrestling position, etc. While I'm not sure I follow with the rule, it's what "they" will tell you. Fix on the other hand: man, he can maintain the hell out of that superior wrestling position. He makes it his Reek . . . and never risks a leg attack.

Edited by jackwebster

9 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I just listened to that too.  I have to say I’m increasingly unimpressed with J. Smith as a coach.  Yeah his guys are good, but the amount of respect and loyalty he DOESN’T engender from his athletes and former athletes is remarkable.  Seems like he basically gets good guys bc of his athletic career, and then esposito must recruit well enough to keep smith’s personality and expectations under wraps until guys sign. You’re either a bulk job or a shrink job at OSU, but you can be guaranteed you won’t enjoy yourself and you won’t be comfortable, and you’ll probably need three surgeries to get through college.

what former cowboys don't respect John? what athletes needed multiple surgeries?