Sign in to follow this  

Good job, Gilman

This was by far the best I’ve seen Gilman wrestle. That includes the year he took second at worlds. He was really a scoring machine and could have definitely won gold. If he wants to, I don’t see why he can’t win a world gold in the coming years. Really an awesome performance. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Absolutely, one heartbreaking loss and dominated some VERY good guys after that.   Definitely peak Gilman right there, he was ready and he hope he does another cycle.

Me too. If he can keep wrestling like he did today, he will be one of the most exciting guys on the team. Given that Lee sacrificed his health for an NCAA team title, and Fix is a doper, Gilman may be the best chance the team has for another medal in 2024. 

I don't have enough knowledge in technique to say what Gilman should have done in that last position, but I will say he looked at the clock multiple times and didn't try to change/advance position.  Maybe there was nothing to do there but I'd think watching Uguev and reacting would have been better than the clock.  Then again it might be all feel there...

2 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I don't have enough knowledge in technique to say what Gilman should have done in that last position, but I will say he looked at the clock multiple times and didn't try to change/advance position.  Maybe there was nothing to do there but I'd think watching Uguev and reacting would have been better than the clock.  Then again it might be all feel there...

He should have went for broke: keep the Merkle and initiate a throw, straight back for 2 or 4.

Just now, jackwebster said:

He should have went for broke: keep the Merkle and initiate a throw, straight back for 2 or 4.

No way. He was winning. You do that when you're behind, but that would've been suicidal against an athlete like Uguev. I think Gilman mostly did the right thing and held position. Uguev is just that good, as he proved again after he beat Gilman in similar situations. The one technical thing he might've tried was extending Uguev from that position, since GIlman has both strength and quite a  bit of length on Uguev. Alas, Uguev was not to be denied.

11 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

No way. He was winning. You do that when you're behind, but that would've been suicidal against an athlete like Uguev. I think Gilman mostly did the right thing and held position. Uguev is just that good, as he proved again after he beat Gilman in similar situations. The one technical thing he might've tried was extending Uguev from that position, since GIlman has both strength and quite a  bit of length on Uguev. Alas, Uguev was not to be denied.

I was just kidding. No way he should have done that. BUT . . . I would have and I would have had the yellow one.