BSUBroncoDynasty

Steveson - Petriashvili gold medal match

How confident are we feeling about Gable's chances in this one? Any doubt at all he doesn't get it done? Really thought we were going to have a Gable - Zare final after the first period of that semi, but credit to Geno for wearing Zare down and finishing those singles. Cannot wait for this match!

Steveson looks awesome, but the level of his competition is about the skyrocket.

Won’t be surprised with any outcome, other than a tech (either way). I don’t see a tech happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steveson looks awesome, but the level of his competition is about the skyrocket.

Won’t be surprised with any outcome, other than a tech (either way). I don’t see a tech happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't think Akgul is top level competition?

Geno's ability to score when he gets a leg is absolutely amazing, especially for a HWT.

Gable's ability to counter when someone shoots on him is absolutely amazing, made Agkul look like he had cement shoes on.

Couldn't be more excited about this one, perfect style clash. 

Has to absolutely avoid getting turned, if this is all TDs I like his chances. 

Edited by Gantry

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

My opinion will vary based on how Akgul does in the repechage. If he dominates, I will be confident in Gable. If he looks bad once again, I will call it a toss up.

Agreed. I don't think its enough to conclude that Akgul's 5-0 match means he was out of form. Akgul has beaten geno comfortably without running up 10-0 scores against the field. 

Akgul did look much bigger at the Olympics. He was thin at the Euros he won in 2021. Wonder if it was a strategic choice by him to bulk up and go for strength? Sacrifice some speed and agility for more horsepower. 

I am extremely confident Gable will win. Should I be worried I'm that confident? If he wins tomorrow morning, will he ever wrestle again? I can't imagine he comes back to college wrestling without the chance to become a 4x champ or win a team title. Maybe the NIL stuff is enough to lure him back? I really hope he at least goes for Paris in 2024. If he keeps dominating like this, he could be one of the top stars in any sport heading into the next games. 

19 minutes ago, LJB said:

gable is different...

my guess is he wins and makes it look entirely too easy against one of the best in the world...

just like he did last night against one of the best in the world...

I think you're absolutely right. This was my thought as well.

Most or all of Gable’s takedowns were working the head and getting behind Akgul without having to get under him.

Akgul seems more conventional in his style, excellent technique combined with the way he can move for a big man gave him a large advantage versus most of his competition. Gable’s athleticism and movement is even better, so Akgul wasn’t able to play to his strengths.

Petriashvili seems like a much tougher match up than Akgul, primarily because of his pinning/big point move potential. He has the type of offense not typical for a heavyweight.

I like Gable’s chances on his feet. If spends too much time under Geno, or tries to fight some weird position on the mat he could be in danger.

I was a bit surprised at how competitive the match was with the Mongolian. Gable had to really work for it. I’m not sure if it was because the Mongolian was that good or if Gable closed up a bit so he didn’t make a mistake.

Edited by BuckyBadger

Rewatching the 2019 finals between Taha and Geno, two things jump out. It was razor thin with Taha being ahead most of the match and scoring two legit takedowns in the first period and only losing it in the last 15 or 20 seconds. Second, Akgul looks much more capable in that match then against Gable. Maybe that’s because Gable is just that good or maybe Taha had his problems with his training or maybe at 30 the years are catching up. 

So we don’t know much. We know Geno is younger and is the returning champ and Gable is still new to this big stage. That’s what makes this one so damn exciting. 

One advantage Gable has is nobody really knows him on the international stage. Aside from juniors has he competed overseas?

I wonder if the Turks were really aware of how dynamic Gable is and maybe just thought they could have the same approach as usual. 

Geno is probably more aware now than if they met before the final. Hopefully it is an advantage for Gable that they haven’t wrestled before. It’s easier to know how to wrestle someone the second time around. But I think Gables quickness for a big guy could throw Geno off.

3 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

One advantage Gable has is nobody really knows him on the international stage. Aside from juniors has he competed overseas?

I wonder if the Turks were really aware of how dynamic Gable is and maybe just thought they could have the same approach as usual. 

Geno is probably more aware now than if they met before the final. Hopefully it is an advantage for Gable that they haven’t wrestled before. It’s easier to know how to wrestle someone the second time around. But I think Gables quickness for a big guy could throw Geno off.

Not just his quickness but also his power. Gable is an athletic freak. I mean how many 250lb+ people do you know that can pull off a back hand spring so effortlessly? 

Physically Taha was faster and more athletic than Geno. They were about equally strong, with Taha being lb for lb stronger and Geno making up the difference with his size. The main physical advantage Geno has over Taha is his gas tank.

Stylistically this looks all wrong for Geno. Geno likes shooting. He shoots much more than Taha. I'm kind of with the Flo guys.  Zare would have been more difficult for Gable.  A fearless shooter like Geno looks,  like he is walking into a trap. 

8 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Physically Taha was faster and more athletic than Geno. They were about equally strong, with Taha being lb for lb stronger and Geno making up the difference with his size. The main physical advantage Geno has over Taha is his gas tank.

Stylistically this looks all wrong for Geno. Geno likes shooting. He shoots much more than Taha. I'm kind of with the Flo guys.  Zare would have been more difficult for Gable.  A fearless shooter like Geno looks,  like he is walking into a trap. 

I sure hope you’re right. If Gable beats Geno the way he beat Akgul I think it has to be the performance of the tournament.

Edited by BuckyBadger

If (big if) Steveson disposes of Geno like how he has his previous three opponents, I don't think it's a stretch to consider him right up there with Taylor as the best P4P wrestler in America. Maybe even better than Taylor.

Edited by Jrr277

I haven't seen anyone keep up with Steveson's twitchy-speed and lateral motion. The Mongolian was closest, which kept Steveson conservative. 

After totally thumping Akul 8-0 (and I'm sure he could have teched him if he wanted to - just stopped taking risks at that point), I'm more confident with Steveson's chances than I have been about any other USA wrestler this Games ahead of their best challenger(s).

Coming into the Games, I would have ranked my confidence in excellent performances as follows:

1. Taylor, Gray (it was theirs to lose)

2. Dake, Mensa-Stock (it was theirs to prove) Now I see that I underestimated Mensa-Stock, and for no good reason. 

3. Steveson, Maroulis, Snyder (obvious contenders in deep weights with serious obstacles - also coming in from some unknown territories)

4. Gilman, Winchester, Hildebrandt, Hafizof (proven talents who haven't pulled off anything quite like this yet)

5. Hancock, Miracle (great competitors who can shine)

6. Sancho, Stephanowicz (I just didn't expect them to be competitive)

Steveson proved a lot last night. I thought it was interesting that he kept it conservative in the Semis. Smart way to make the Final. 

53 minutes ago, HawkY said:

That's pretty much how Zare beat Geno the first time, he kept countering him every time he shot for a TD. But this time Geno started cautiously until Zare got tired then he started shooting for takedowns. I don't think he could do the same about Gable though because Gable hasn't shown any sign of getting tired.